Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 28, 2012, 18:28 HorrorScope

Kickstarter/Indies/Valve shows otherwise for gamers. Instead of sensationalism, how about just stating the synergies between them all. In my little world its PC then Laptop - Phone. Wife it Laptop/Phone - PC. All real world business stuff, wholly pc/laptop. The biggest luxury of them all is the Pad. That is about the only one that doesn't mesh often with getting business done.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 28, 2012, 13:11 Ant

Bah to tablets and smartphones. Give me desktops and laptops/notebooks (even netbooks) with Internet access any day! Get off my lawn!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 28, 2012, 09:50 Verno

It was still his vision and there are plenty of correlations over the years. I think the bigger deal is that the devices themselves aren't terribly revolutionary in the first place. Its a phone that runs applications, who would have imagined?! Apple wasn't even remotely the first to do it, they just added some chic to the design. He caught his competitors asleep at the wheel more than anything else, Nokia in particular had a stranglehold on the market despite their continued mediocrity in design.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 28, 2012, 08:49 Parallax Abstraction

Well done Burr, well done. Jobs was a hell of a smart guy (if not a terrible human being) but he's one of the most overhyped figures in the tech industry. He had thousands of people who actually take his ideas and make them into products but Apple fanboys act like he hand built every device.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

6. PC computer Sep 28, 2012, 06:30 yonder

PC COMPUTING IS DEAD! THIS TIME WE MEAN IT!

No sky has ever fallen to the degree that the PC sky has fallen. For 15/20 years I've been hearing how consoles are going to destroy PC gaming and now idiots use sales metrics of quasi-disposable devices to "prove" that PC computing is dead. Idiots.

As for Bill Burr. Beautiful. Conan compared Jobs to Edison and Burr said Jobs was pretending to be Tesla. Couldn't have come up w/ a better comparison myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm no rabid Jobs-hater, I'm just being honest. Apple isn't a company of innovation, they're a company of marketing. Saying Apple innovates is like saying post-WC2 Blizzard innovates. Simply not true.

5. Re: PC is no longer personal computer. Sep 28, 2012, 05:14 jdreyer

All true, PropheT. What I meant was 10 years ago, there were neither smart phones nor tablets, and laptops sucked balls for the most part. Now all machines have a basic set of features. They play games, handle email, & surf the web, among other things. And each has its unique features. My phone has has built in GPS, while my desktop can drive triple monitor gaming.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: PC is no longer personal computer. Sep 28, 2012, 02:26 PropheT

PC is still personal computer, because tablets and phones having more market share doesn't mean tablets and phones have replaced PC's.

There might be more options, but for the vast majority of tasks you needed a PC for 5-10 years ago you still need a PC to do them now. Tablets and phones don't even replace basic productivity apps like a word processor effectively, or simple functions like file sharing, so regardless of how many are out there they aren't phasing out the old systems rather than just supplementing them.

3. PC is no longer personal computer. Sep 27, 2012, 23:16 jdreyer

Desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone, they're all still personal, and they're all still computers.

It is pretty amazing to look back 10 years and think that the only decent computer was a desktop. Now there are so many options.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 27, 2012, 20:49 Cutter

Prez wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 20:44:
I'm with Bill Burr.

Neither does PE or I believe the hype.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 27, 2012, 20:44 Prez

I'm with Bill Burr.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo