Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt

A tweet by Minecraft creator Markus 'Notch' Persson relates an exchange with Microsoft about Windows 8 and the indie sandbox game: "Got an email from microsoft, wanting to help 'certify' minecraft for win 8. I told them to stop trying to ruin the pc as an open platform." He follows this expressing his distaste for the process and the new OS: "I'd rather have minecraft not run on win 8 at all than to play along. Maybe we can convince a few people not to switch to win 8 that way.." Thanks Computer and Video Games.

View
99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

19. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:29 Matshock

InBlack wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 11:02:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 10:38:
"Certify minecraft for win8"?

What does this even mean?

It means that they want to turn Windows PC's into a closed system ala Apple's Macintosh computers.

All software has to be 'certified' by Microsoft before the OS will let it run. Microsoft will probably take this a step further as they will only allow digital copies of the software to be purchaed through their built-in app buying software. (again ala Apple's Itunes)

All in all first Gabe and now Notch, kudos to those two for saying fuck you to Microsoft.

It looks like Win7 will be my last Windows OS.

But but but I've been assured this was not going to happen!

Being fair MS hasn't fully implemented this yet but I bet they will.

I finally went to Windows 7 last month because I too will not ever install Windows 8 onto a personal machine even if it were free.

MS lacks the hardware acumen and student loan spendthrift brand equity that Apple has- this will be the kiss of death for MS.

Of course if Foxconn burns down in a riot Apple will be on the skids too...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:27 Parallax Abstraction

elefunk wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 10:43:
Notch is quite a hypocrite here.

He got Minecraft certified for "open" Android
He got Minecraft cerfitied for Xbox
Minecraft still works perfectly as-is in its current form on Windows 8.

So Microsoft comes along and wants to certify it also to go through the Windows 8 Store, especially so it can go onto ARM tablets, and he throws a hissy-fit?

Pretty much this. He put it on Xbox and iOS, two incredibly closed platforms and that's OK but putting it into the Metro environment which is admittedly closed but also 100% optional is apparently a huge deal. It's his game, he can do what he wants but if you're going to make the open platforms argument but be on those two, it's hard not to look like a hypocrite.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

17. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:24 Jivaro

So Microsoft comes along and wants to certify it also to go through the Windows 8 Store, especially so it can go onto ARM tablets, and he throws a hissy-fit?

You missed his point, or at least it appears you did. He is speaking directly about Windows and what its strengths are currently versus the direction Microsoft is trying to take it. Yes, he went through processes on other platforms, mobile and console, because he wanted to expand his product to other markets. That has zero to do with his point however. XBOX was never anything other then what it is. iOS was never anything other then what it is. Windows on the other hand is going a direction he and others dislike and he is making a statement as such.

And Beamer, while there might be some who don't see the difference that you correctly pointed out...that isn't his point either. There is a larger picture that I am very sure you are more then aware of. Please don't pretend you don't, you would have to be completely naive and your posting history does not seem to indicate that you are that blind. This is a step-by-step process MS is taking in the evolution of their OS and people have a problem with the direction because they know where it goes. So do you.

16. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:18 TheEmissary

You are completely missing the point entirely. He didn't certify for Android or iOS or the Xbox. That is the only method of distribution on those platforms. What he is saying is he doesn't like that a previously open platform is closing itself off. He isn't being hypocritical at all by not wanting to play along with the locking down of the PC. Microsoft probably wants to turn the Windows 8 store in to something resembling the mobile app stores and XBox Live.

15. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:17 Beamer

Agreed.

But no one else here will agree. They're convinced it means to run on the OS, not just be sold in the store.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:11 McSterls

Pretty sure that certification is for Apps only, applications run as before. I tried the Win 8 preview and had no problems getting older software to run, including Minecraft.

That being said, the experience was underwhelming from an interface standpoint and and Stardock's Start 8(still in Beta) only half works to get rid of it. I won't be switching over to 8 anytime soon.

13. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:07 eRe4s3r

Yeah but with "broken layout" I meant that it's a ugly white blotch ;p Twitter sadly has no themes...  

12. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:02 InBlack

yuastnav wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 10:38:

It means that they want to turn Windows PC's into a closed system ala Apple's Macintosh computers.

All software has to be 'certified' by Microsoft before the OS will let it run. Microsoft will probably take this a step further as they will only allow digital copies of the software to be purchaed through their built-in app buying software. (again ala Apple's Itunes)

All in all first Gabe and now Notch, kudos to those two for saying fuck you to Microsoft.

It looks like Win7 will be my last Windows OS.

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:00 SM0k3

Microsoft has a pattern of putting out a few crap OS's every once and a while, I would chalk Windows 8 up to that. Personally I think they should have pushed it as a scalable mobile/tablet only OS.  

10. No subject Sep 27, 2012, 10:56 bfg9000

twitter embed looks fine from this thread view, but there is a huge empty space between it and the text body on the main page view.
Opera 12.02 FYI

9. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:46 Creston

Ahahahahahaha. You go, Notch!

Creston

8. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:44 eRe4s3r

I wouldn't mind a bluesnews twitter feed, as long as it stays out of the RSS feeds and the layout  

7. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:43 elefunk

6. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:42 briktal

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 10:39:
wow was it really necessary to EMBED a twitter embed into the news?

Not only does it look completely horrible, but it breaks the entire layout and makes the comment page load twice as slowly...

Welcome to #bluesnews

5. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:42 jdwohlever

After all the bad press I've heard about Windows 8, I see another Windows ME coming. I fell for that garbage back in 2000. Not this time around. The way Microsoft works, it seems like every other OS release is good, then garbage.
Windows 3.0 - Turd Bucket
Windows 3.11- Great
Windows 95 - Ton of problems, so Turd Bucket
Windows 98 - Great
Windows ME - Turd bucket
Windows XP/2000 - Great
Windows Vista - Turd Bucket
Windows 7 - Great
Windows 8 - Turd Bucket
So we go bad good bad good bad etc... If you don't see a pattern here, your blind.

Sounds like all Windows 8 is good for, as it's going to be for, is mobile/tablet platforms. I think it's just being made for the Surface and some suit decided to give it the Windows 8 name. The should have named it Windows Surface OS or something like they did for Windows CE.

Don't destroy the desktop MS. There are still some us who prefer to have a PC on their desk that doesn't take batteries.

Xbox Live Ambassador (RET)
Founder of PERS0NA, a non-profit scientific paranormal investigation society
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God"

4. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:41 nin

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 10:39:

Blue's just trying to spruce things up a bit!

And Windows 8?! Fuck, I just got System Shock 2 running on 7 yesterday...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:39 eRe4s3r

Not only does it look completely horrible, but it breaks the entire layout and makes the comment page load twice as slowly...

2. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:38 yuastnav

1. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 10:36 Darks

Windows 8 can die a slow death, I cant stand the new OS. its to much of a table OS. This OS will be Microsofts Vista. Die fucking Metro UI!!!  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo