Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Korean Valve Bid?

"Will Asian online game publishers Nexon and NCsoft buy blockbuster publisher Valve?" asks VentureBeat in an article based on a rumor in a "major" Korean publication. Joongang News reports Nexon and Valve met in Hawaii yesterday to discuss a possible merger. Nexon was also involved in acquisition rumors earlier this year when reports emerged it was bidding on EA. Valve's Gabe Newell has expressed no interest in selling the company when previous such rumors have emerged, but neither company has commented on this report yet.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 29, 2012, 09:13 Smellfinger

edaciousx wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 18:13:
who isn't a money hungry wolf? If I offered you 1 billion dollars for your cheese burger would you do it?

Yup, you're a money hungry wolf. you just confirmed it.

This is the worst food-based analogy I've seen on a video game forum in a long time, which is saying a lot when consider how many food-based analogies you come across on a typical video game forum.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 28, 2012, 10:47 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 16:29:
Shame he's not obsessed with his own health, guy needs to lay off the cheeseburgers.

Who cares how much he weighs? He has a company full of like minded employees and his two best friends (also old school PC gamers) are practically co-owners. Besides, have you looked at the videogame industry as a whole lately? You do a lot of sedentary work with crappy hours in a social atmosphere, it's pretty much a recipe to eating take out all the time. Gabe has actually lost quite a bit of weight over the past few years anyway.

Anyways this whole thing silly, NCsoft doesn't have the money to buy Valve and Valve has repeatedly rebuffed potential buyers in the past.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

37. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 28, 2012, 00:54 El Pit

edaciousx wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 18:13:
who isn't a money hungry wolf? If I offered you 1 billion dollars for your cheese burger would you do it?

Yes, you're right. Because I would shit on all the workers in the cheeseburger and ruin their lives by selling the cheeseburger. Oh, wait... Apples and oranges - what does this tell you?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

36. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 21:43 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 21:37:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 21:22:
Haha even Pachter can call this one.

It's not like those companies have $3-4 billion sitting around anyway.

I dunno, valve might at this point. They take about 30% of the majority of PC games sold.

I meant Nexon and NCSoft don't have enough to buy Valve and even Pachter knows it.

35. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 21:37 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 21:22:

I dunno, valve might at this point. They take about 30% of the majority of PC games sold.

34. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 21:22 Sepharo

33. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 27, 2012, 19:42 HorrorScope

Don't fall for the... "We'll buy you but you still run the show like you always have". That is now 0-321465421 in terms of playing out that way. The buyers will always move in at some point.

It's like an employee on Day One, I'll do whatever you say, forever. 2 Weeks later they know more then the owner and the company has more things wrong then right.

32. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 19:41 Burrito of Peace

Flatline wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 19:36:
Dude where do you get that quality ganja? I need to smoke whatever you're smoking.

He probably gets it from some songbird Jesus freak dealer.

31. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 19:36 Flatline

Hellbinder wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 17:04:
Its completely obvious why this probably is TRUE.

Valve is thinking of getting into the console business. Merging with a company like Nexon would open the floodgates to the asian markets and give them a huge in on Korean/Chinese style games and content.

It is possible a move like this would catapult them past Sony/Microsoft in the console/game market by bypassing japan completely.

Dude where do you get that quality ganja? I need to smoke whatever you're smoking.

30. Customer service might improve. Sep 27, 2012, 19:02 hb3d

Prez wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 18:41:
I can't see this being anything but bad for gamers were it to become true.
Valve's horrible customer service might improve. It couldn't get any worse.

29. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 18:41 Prez

I can't see this being anything but bad for gamers were it to become true.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 18:13 edaciousx

27. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 17:51 RollinThundr

jdwohlever wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 16:59:
@RollinThundr
Really? That's your contribution to the discussion?
I thought the sign said "No Smart-Ass Jocks Allowed"

My bad, I thought the sign said "Call it like you see it"

26. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 17:04 Hellbinder

Its completely obvious why this probably is TRUE.

Valve is thinking of getting into the console business. Merging with a company like Nexon would open the floodgates to the asian markets and give them a huge in on Korean/Chinese style games and content.

It is possible a move like this would catapult them past Sony/Microsoft in the console/game market by bypassing japan completely.

The Whales name is Bob.

25. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 16:59 jdwohlever

@RollinThundr
Really? That's your contribution to the discussion?
I thought the sign said "No Smart-Ass Jocks Allowed"

Xbox Live Ambassador (RET)
Founder of PERS0NA, a non-profit scientific paranormal investigation society
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God"

24. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 16:29 RollinThundr

Dev wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 14:36:
NewMaxx wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 13:26:
No, what he said was, he would let the company die before being sold to "some giant company that wants to cash us out and wait two or three years to have our employment agreements terminate." That is carefully worded to allow for many things, such as mergers on his terms. It's an important distinction to be made, although I still do an "lolwut" in reaction to this particular news tidbit.
And even in that quote you can tell his obsession with his employees health. Which is why it will never happen.

Shame he's not obsessed with his own health, guy needs to lay off the cheeseburgers.

23. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 16:13 Panickd

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 13:26:
deqer wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 10:42:
He already said he has NO INTEREST in selling the company.

No, what he said was, he would let the company die before being sold to "some giant company that wants to cash us out and wait two or three years to have our employment agreements terminate." That is carefully worded to allow for many things, such as mergers on his terms. It's an important distinction to be made, although I still do an "lolwut" in reaction to this particular news tidbit.

In that same interview he also said that there was a better chance that Valve would disintegrate with it's independent-minded workers scattering than there was that the company would ever be sold.

I can't see Valve ever being sold or merging with any other company. They are worth billions, have a very different corporate culture than any other company around and have no incentive at all to go down that road. There is quite literally no upside for them in any merger or acquisition. I suspect Valve will be independent until the day Gabe Newell dies at which point it will "disintegrate" just as he predicted.

22. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 16:07 Creston

Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 15:06:
Creston wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 14:48:
Does anyone know what the actual ownership picture is at Valve? Is it just Gabe and a few other guys that own everything, or have they allowed their long-time employees to get part ownership? Does Valve even HAVE shares?

creston

Valve Stuff

According to that Gabe owns over half of Valve, but I couldn't find any mention anywhere else of who owns what because they're private. They have zero need to sell - and probably even less desire to do so. If anything this sort of announcement is usually a ploy to give the purchasing corps some attention and a little stock bounce - by whom is another matter but I'm sure their shares probably saw a small flurry of trading today.

Thanks for the link! Seeing as how Gabe owns more than 50% of Valve, I don't think we have to worry about a shitty outfit like EA or whatever Asian-Publisher-Du-Jour buying them.

Creston

21. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 15:37 Mordhaus

I sooooo hope this isn't true. NCSoft is terrible.  

20. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 15:36 Mashiki Amiketo

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 13:53:
NCSoft... LOL. They can dream, though!
In other news...

Valve buys NCsoft...hahaha... well it could be funny.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo