Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2012, 19:18 Kosumo

This is total cover up - the guy who did the report is also the same guy who should have been overseeing the GCSB for the past 8 months and said nothing until Dotcom's lawyer presented this in court - this report (the Nezor report) is not indpendant in any way shape or form.

I hope the government falls over this - John Key is a lair.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2012, 16:54 Quboid

Creston wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 15:10:
Quboid wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 14:04:
If this is to be the end of it then you have a point, but there's no indication that this is the end of it.

What exactly do you think is going to happen? That the Prime Minister is going to get sued or something? I'm fairly sure New Zealand has a similar law to the US, where you can't sue civic officials, much less people in the actual government. If they didn't have such protection, I doubt the PM would have ever said a peep.

Now he can appear to be magnanimous while full well knowing that his ass is covered.

Creston

I said what I expect, you cut it out of my post! Dotcom will probably sue the government, if not individuals. If he can sue individuals, I wouldn't expect the PM to be the defendant any way, it would be someone in GCSB.

I don't think this apology means a whole lot but it's something. It's better than saying they did nothing wrong, or saying nothing which would look like they want people to think they did nothing wrong.

If this apology in some way reduced the chances of a lawsuit succeeding, or reduced the chances of the PM being investigated, then it would be bad - but I don't think it does.

- Quboid

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2012, 15:27 eRe4s3r

Even better is that the agency responsible to enforce law couldn't figure out whether a dude in their own country was citizen of their own god damn country, messed up discovering he is, and even conspired with foreign police agency against their OWN CITIZEN.

Or maybe all these accidents were willful violations of law. This whole case is a travesty.

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2012, 15:13 Cutter

"If they had been more thorough in what they had done, they would have worked out that Mr. Dotcom had a residence class visa, and therefore was protected by the law," Key told reporters on Thursday. "Frankly, I'm pretty appalled by what I've seen because these are basic errors."

"This is really a matter of mistake and human error, not one of a great conspiracy," Key said. But he emphasized that "the agency has let itself down very badly. "

So the agency that exists to enforce the law doesn't know the law? I think this goes pretty far beyond just proffering a mere apology.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2012, 15:10 Creston

Quboid wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 14:04:
If this is to be the end of it then you have a point, but there's no indication that this is the end of it.

What exactly do you think is going to happen? That the Prime Minister is going to get sued or something? I'm fairly sure New Zealand has a similar law to the US, where you can't sue civic officials, much less people in the actual government. If they didn't have such protection, I doubt the PM would have ever said a peep.

Now he can appear to be magnanimous while full well knowing that his ass is covered.

Creston

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2012, 15:08 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 13:54:
Ahh politicians, you never fail to amuse.

To his credit (I suppose) he did admit to the illegality of it (not that it absolves his government in any way). Like the article points out you don't see that from a certain other government involved in this.

It's funny when government officials admit they did illegal shit, because they do so with that smug look on their faces that says "But we can't be legally charged for it, and we know it."

Creston

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2012, 14:04 Quboid

Tumbler wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 13:46:
Can you apologize now for committing crimes and that is good enough? That explains a lot, the driving I see on a day to day basis makes far more sense now. I'm sorry I ran this red light, bye bye! Sorry I robbed you, see u next time.

Perhaps we should start punishing crimes? I know that can seem extreme but I just really hate most crimes. Sorry for being a crimist. (like a racist)

Are you saying he shouldn't apologise? And by extension, criminals in general shouldn't apologise?

They did wrong and he apologised. If this is to be the end of it then you have a point, but there's no indication that this is the end of it. If Dotcom sues, I don't expect the judge to throw out the case because of this.

- Quboid

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2012, 13:54 NegaDeath

Ahh politicians, you never fail to amuse.

To his credit (I suppose) he did admit to the illegality of it (not that it absolves his government in any way). Like the article points out you don't see that from a certain other government involved in this.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2012, 13:46 Tumbler

Can you apologize now for committing crimes and that is good enough? That explains a lot, the driving I see on a day to day basis makes far more sense now. I'm sorry I ran this red light, bye bye! Sorry I robbed you, see u next time.

Perhaps we should start punishing crimes? I know that can seem extreme but I just really hate most crimes. Sorry for being a crimist. (like a racist)

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo