Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Previews

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Evening Previews Sep 28, 2012, 18:53 J

98%!

100% woo!

Okay, I'll shut up about it now.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2012, 07:50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Evening Previews Sep 28, 2012, 12:50 Signatus

I remember my X-COM games dragging on because I kept or reloading missions so to get the best possible outcome.

As for replayability, considering I went back to the demo just to replay the mission, I would think I'll give it at least two play-throughs in normal difficulty just for the sake of it.

35 missions seem more than enough for me, considering I'm expecting later missions to take considerably more time to finish than the initial ones. At least if I'm careful...

I have to say I'm excited for the game, as long as it's not dumbed down massively I will be fine with it. My patience (and time) for games have gone down considerably, so maybe I'll even appreciate it more

11. Re: Evening Previews Sep 28, 2012, 04:06 J

88%!  

10. Re: Evening Previews Sep 27, 2012, 08:31 Slashman

Why do we keep seeing game reviewers who don't know about or understand games?

We had a 40 hour preview from Kotaku that said the exact opposite. That the game had great replay potential.

Also...I never played an X-Com game session that lasted for months(and that includes Terror from the Deep whose missions were artificially made longer by having literally a gazillion nooks and crannies for a lone alien to hide in).

9. Re: Evening Previews Sep 27, 2012, 08:28 Beamer

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 05:54:
35 was pretty much spot on for the original Xcom from start to finish. Also if you drag out your research you can make it longer, just like the original.
If I had to stop and think I'd say it was about a third of that for me. I'd guess 15 or so.

Of course, once I had millions in the bank, and once it was repeatedly super large and annoying ships, I'd just stop engaging ships and only do base/terror missions, zipping through the final bits of research very quickly.
I also played a mod that turned off psi-ops, which sped things up by deleting that entire course of research.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Evening Previews Sep 27, 2012, 07:59 InBlack

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 05:54:
35 was pretty much spot on for the original Xcom from start to finish. Also if you drag out your research you can make it longer, just like the original.

Really? Well that means my research must have been really fubared, I seem to remember a whole shitload of missions over that number but my memory might be skewing this. I do know that game sessions lasted for MONTHS at a time, and this was while I was still a pimply schoolboy and had a shitload of free time to play PC games.

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Evening Previews Sep 27, 2012, 07:18 J

Yeah. I'm happy to pre-order games if it means that it encourages more like them. A decent X-Com sequel is long overdue in my view.

I've been a fan of the Gollops since Rebelstar Raiders, so if anybody is going to troll an X-Com thread without any half-decent reasoning I'm going to be opportunity fire all over them

6. Re: Evening Previews Sep 27, 2012, 05:54 dj LiTh

5. Re: Evening Previews Sep 27, 2012, 05:37 J

InBlack wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 05:35:
35 missions for a full playthrough??? What gives??? Damn Im glad I didnt preorder thisnow, what is research done in one click or less?
Do tell me the average number of missions you played in the previous x-com campaigns.

4. Re: Evening Previews Sep 27, 2012, 05:35 InBlack

35 missions for a full playthrough??? What gives??? Damn Im glad I didnt preorder thisnow, what is research done in one click or less?  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Evening Previews Sep 27, 2012, 05:29 J

In the preview video from the other thread they mentioned that a lot of it is random, and you'd have to play through 2-3 times to have a chance of seeing maps repeating.

They did also mentioned they'll be looking into the possibility of modifications (although it's too early at time of video as they'd only just finished the game).

Also, 77%!

2. Re: Evening Previews Sep 27, 2012, 05:29 dj LiTh

Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 03:56:
The engaging multiplayer mode should help add some important long-term value to a single-player campaign that probably won't merit more than a single playthrough. But in the four hours or so I spent working through the single player preview build (which I was told represents about one quarter of the game), I felt like I had barely scratched the surface as far as tactical and upgrade options. I can't wait to see what the rest of the game holds, even if I'm not sure that I can handle seeing another one of my units die an untimely death.

Huh, that doesn't sound good. 16 hours? No replayability? Are there no random maps? No map editor? That would be a very bad move.

That reviewer is clearly a moron. I'm guessing he was playing on the lowest difficulty to since it took him 9 missions to lose his first soldier.

There are about 80-90 premade maps, the randomization comes from the alien makeup, and their positions/your position.

In a given full game they said there will be about 35 missions or so. Its possible you play the game a few times and still dont see every map. Also considering firaxis's track record i'm betting mod support in the future.

Also every other review i've read has remarked at the extensive replayability.

1. Re: Evening Previews Sep 27, 2012, 03:56 Cutter

The engaging multiplayer mode should help add some important long-term value to a single-player campaign that probably won't merit more than a single playthrough. But in the four hours or so I spent working through the single player preview build (which I was told represents about one quarter of the game), I felt like I had barely scratched the surface as far as tactical and upgrade options. I can't wait to see what the rest of the game holds, even if I'm not sure that I can handle seeing another one of my units die an untimely death.

Huh, that doesn't sound good. 16 hours? No replayability? Are there no random maps? No map editor? That would be a very bad move.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo