Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

Link of the Day: Humans must move to space in 100 years or face extinction- Hawking (thanks Cutter). In that case it sounds like we have a big election year issue for 2112!

R.I.P.: Legendary crooner Andy Williams dies at 84.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Sleep? Sep 27, 2012, 10:20 Ant

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 06:15:
Damn Cutter, do you ever sleep?
Sleep, what's that?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2012, 10:12 PHJF

Oh I know, which is why we're doomed. We're too myopic and atavistic as a species. Darwin always said that the species that can best work together to overcome adversity is the one most likely to survive. That ain't us. And I believe things in the next 25-50 years are going to get immensely worse for all the reasons you listed and more. Thankfully, it's unlikely we'll be around for it when it starts to get really bad. Anyone having kids today is basically just making fodder for the Apocalypse.

Doubtful. When the shit hits the fan humanity will find a solution (or at least a way to cope). It just isn't in our nature to solve problems before they've become problems. Of course with global warming we're always hearing about crossing a point of no return whereby the earth is doomed, but I'm sure after millions of years or so earth would return to her default state again. Nothing a good reboot can't fix!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2012, 08:12  Blue 

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 20:33:
Hey Blue when you get a chance can ya check my Avatar, I changed it to the Arrow, which was fine and tried to change it again to something else, and it reverted back to the arrow. Had it under 10kb and 64x64.

Weird. I think there may be a bug in there somewhere. Is the avatar there now the correct one?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2012, 06:15 jdreyer

Damn Cutter, do you ever sleep?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2012, 06:14 jdreyer

@Bjack: Best. Album. Ever.

@Lorcin: That cracked me up. That being said, I fear cannibalism will rear its ugly head when things get desperate enough.

@Cutter: Hey, that's not playing fair. You can't use words like "myopic" or "atavistic" or else RollinThundr won't understand what you mean. Notice that he failed to comment. Keep your words to two syllables or less, please.

@Armengar: Yeah, space is kind of out of the question given that all the materials have to come from earth anyway, and as you say, the first large solar flare will fry any humans floating around out there. Easier and cheaper just to fix things at home.

12. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2012, 06:03 Cutter

Armengar wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 04:59:
we'll be doomed faster in space. Hard radiation will see to that.

Yeah, everyone tends to forget cosmic rays, energetic particles, micro asteroids, and anyone of a million other things that make space travel exceedingly dangerous.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2012, 04:59 Armengar

we'll be doomed faster in space. Hard radiation will see to that.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

10. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2012, 02:21 rist3903

That idea was originally proposed satirically by Jonathan Swift in his essay:

A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Children of Poor People From Being a Burden on Their Parents or Country, and for Making Them Beneficial to the Publick.

9. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2012, 00:06 Cutter

What's soylent green made from again?

8. Re: Into the Black Sep 26, 2012, 23:58 Lorcin

ahh fuck - I hate it when my subconscious does that. My wife was a HUGE Eddie Izzard fan when we met in 1997 - guess I saw this video a long time ago.  

7. Re: Into the Black Sep 26, 2012, 23:33 nin

Lorcin wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 23:26:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 20:08:
- A switch to a largely vegetarian diet worldwide to ensure enough food for everyone (see today's bacon shortage for evidence. Meat is an extremely inefficient protein for the resources expended)

That's the deal breaker for me. That said - couldn't we use the illegal babies as a meat source? Fatten them up for a few months on milk then toss em on the bbq. Meat crisis and overpopulation solved in one.

PS Yes I'm joking, and no I don't mean that.

I'm having flashbacks to the Eddie Izzard "Babies on Spikes" bit...bad bad bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XDSku0-R38&t=16m55s

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2012, 23:42.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Into the Black Sep 26, 2012, 23:26 Lorcin

jdreyer wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 20:08:
- A switch to a largely vegetarian diet worldwide to ensure enough food for everyone (see today's bacon shortage for evidence. Meat is an extremely inefficient protein for the resources expended)

That's the deal breaker for me. That said - couldn't we use the illegal babies as a meat source? Fatten them up for a few months on milk then toss em on the bbq. Meat crisis and overpopulation solved in one.

PS Yes I'm joking, and no I don't mean that.

5. Re: Into the Black Sep 26, 2012, 22:40 Cutter

bjack wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 21:08:
Elections in 2112? More likely theocratic rule by Syrinx priests.

Woo Rush!

jdreyer wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 21:24:
Some of these things will occur through market forces (meat, oil, and coal will become more expensive, forcing people to alternatives), although without proper planning transitions will be rough. Other things like water distribution and population control will not, and unless regulated, could result in catastrophes or wars.

Oh I know, which is why we're doomed. We're too myopic and atavistic as a species. Darwin always said that the species that can best work together to overcome adversity is the one most likely to survive. That ain't us. And I believe things in the next 25-50 years are going to get immensely worse for all the reasons you listed and more. Thankfully, it's unlikely we'll be around for it when it starts to get really bad. Anyone having kids today is basically just making fodder for the Apocalypse.

4. Re: Into the Black Sep 26, 2012, 21:24 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 20:08:
I still feel we're doomed regardless of whatever we do. I do agree with Hawking's assertion that we shouldn't be looking for aliens. I think that would likely be a fatal mistake. Too bad we've already sent Voyager out there. You know when Vger returns that's the end of the carbon unit infestation unless Kirk and Spock succeed.

Unfortunately, the steps that need to be taken to avoid resource depletion and societal collapse are too draconian for most people / governments to accept:

- Strict enforcement of birthrates to reverse the overpopulation trend
- Drastic carbon use reductions to prevent global warming from baking the world's prime croplands and causing mass starvation
- Massive investments into solar, wind, and nuclear as replacement power generation
- A much stricter recycling and recovery regimen to ensure enough resources for producing things.
- Massive infrastructure investments into rail as a primary transportation means
- Reinstatement of the NFL refs

Some of these things will occur through market forces (meat, oil, and coal will become more expensive, forcing people to alternatives), although without proper planning transitions will be rough. Other things like water distribution and population control will not, and unless regulated, could result in catastrophes or wars.

Flush

3. Re: Into the Black Sep 26, 2012, 21:08 bjack

Elections in 2112? More likely theocratic rule by Syrinx priests.

2. Re: Into the Black Sep 26, 2012, 20:33 The Half Elf

Hey Blue when you get a chance can ya check my Avatar, I changed it to the Arrow, which was fine and tried to change it again to something else, and it reverted back to the arrow. Had it under 10kb and 64x64.

Thank you sir.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: Into the Black Sep 26, 2012, 20:08 Cutter

I still feel we're doomed regardless of whatever we do. I do agree with Hawking's assertion that we shouldn't be looking for aliens. I think that would likely be a fatal mistake. Too bad we've already sent Voyager out there. You know when Vger returns that's the end of the carbon unit infestation unless Kirk and Spock succeed.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo