Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches

This French Website offers new unofficial patches for Thief 2 and System Shock 2, updating these Looking Glass classics to version 1.19 and 2.4, respectively. As noted on Kotaku, these patches allow each game to be played on modern systems in high resolution, though of course, use of homebrew patches is done at one's own risk. In other unofficial update news, Kotaku also notes a the release of Complex version 8.2.4, a mod that likewise modernizes the space-based strategy of Homeworld 2. Thanks nin.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 13:38 Elessar

Will do, thanks for the advice!  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 13:25 MajorD

Elessar wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 13:03:
MajorD wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 12:33:
There is a pretty sweet looking HD Texture mod in the works for Thief Gold by Bentraxx. It is supposed to be released 4th quarter of this year. I am chomping at the bit, as Thief/Thief Gold has never looked so beautiful.
When I was younger I dabbled in the Thief games a bit, but never fully committed to them. With these new patches and the link you provided about the original getting a texture pack, I'm debating trying them out again. If I wanted to, could I just jump into Thief 2 or would I be missing out on some story from 1?

IMHO, I would wait and play Thief Gold, first, when the HD Texture patch comes out, and then play Thief 2, as the story line does carry over. For what it is worth, they are both really great games and are in my Top 10 SP games. If you do end up going back and playing them in their entirety, I hope you do enjoy them. They were before their time like HL1 was and raised the bar and many different ways.

Good luck Garrett, we are all counting on you. Wink

17. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 13:03 Elessar

MajorD wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 12:33:
There is a pretty sweet looking HD Texture mod in the works for Thief Gold by Bentraxx. It is supposed to be released 4th quarter of this year. I am chomping at the bit, as Thief/Thief Gold has never looked so beautiful.
When I was younger I dabbled in the Thief games a bit, but never fully committed to them. With these new patches and the link you provided about the original getting a texture pack, I'm debating trying them out again. If I wanted to, could I just jump into Thief 2 or would I be missing out on some story from 1?

16. Re: News title is very misleading Sep 26, 2012, 12:48 BobBob

The weapons degrade in System Shock 2 made the game tedious.  

15. News title is very misleading Sep 26, 2012, 12:42 eRe4s3r

There is no Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patch

Thief 2 / System Shock 2 Unofficial Patches
Homeworld 2 Complex 8.2.4 Mod Release

There are 2 different things. Complex is the most popular mod for Homeworld 2! Not some unknown unofficial patch nobody ever heard about ;p (and certainly not fixing the rendering and resolution issues Homeworld 2 has).

That said, if this patch works for Thief 2 then that'd be pretty awesome ;p

Reason I figured I mention it, is because it'd be pretty damn amazing if someone fixed Homeworld's 2 graphics related issues (like resolution problems)

By the way, anyone know what the changelog from 8.2.3 to 8.2.4 is? I am (not feeling like) downloading another 600mb just to find out nearly nothing changed

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2012, 13:13.

14. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 12:42 Bet

Prez wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 12:18:
Elessar wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 12:15:
nin wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 10:58:
Wow!

Is this a high-res thief 2 shot? If so, I may have to get onboard with this.

This is why I love PC gaming. How awesome is this?
I feel a little lightheaded, that hallway looks almost photorealistic. Never dreamed of this day.

13. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 12:33 MajorD

Wow!

Tasty! Thanks for sharing.

12. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 12:24 sauron

Acleacius wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 12:17:
Amazing, work! Cheers

Surely someone at TTLG forums did it or knows who did.

Not sure if it's widely known but Vurt, who has done all the landscape mods for Skyrim, FNV and many others did a texture mod for SS2.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the original developers moonlighting anonymously. Whoever it is knows the engine inside and out.

Kittens!

11. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 12:18 Prez

Elessar wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 12:15:
Wow!

This is why I love PC gaming. How awesome is this?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 12:17 Acleacius

Amazing, work! Cheers

Surely someone at TTLG forums did it or knows who did.

Not sure if it's widely known but Vurt, who has done all the landscape mods for Skyrim, FNV and many others did a texture mod for SS2.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

9. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 12:15 Elessar

Wow!

8. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 12:05 sauron

Wow, nice! I had SS2 with the older hi-res mod for a while but it stopped working well in newer operating systems.

This is gonna be great - I still have my original SS2 CD (Bought the game on release day way back when).

Kittens!

7. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 11:19 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 10:48:
Mirrors here:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

I downloaded them fine from there last night, though...

It may just be that one of their clusters is infected and not another one. As always, one's mileage may vary. I just put it up as a warning for people to be wary.

Thanks for the mirrors, they save just fine to the exact same location I tried to get the zippyshare thing to save.

Edit : Just out of curiosity, I tried dl'ing from the zippyshare links again, and this time they didn't whine at me. So I still expect it's a cluster issue of some kind on their end.

And yeah, that screenshot looks frakking awesome. I really wonder who did all this work, and why he/she'd stay anonymous like that. This kind of mod work can get you hired at a dev studio pretty damn quick.

Creston

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2012, 11:24.

6. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 11:17 John

Wow!
Nice!

That's cool about Homeworld 2 because I enjoyed it too. I wouldn't mind seeing a Homeworld 3!

This space is available for rent

5. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 10:58 nin

Wow!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 10:56 Jedi Master

Yeah, I grabbed T2's just now with no issues.  

3. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 10:48 nin

Mirrors here:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

I downloaded them fine from there last night, though...

2. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 10:40 Creston

Something weird is going on with that zippyshare filesite they're hosting the files. When I try to save it, it keeps saying "Oh, you don't have access to save there! Would you like to save here (very particular folder location) instead."

Errrr... that seems really suspicious to me. Files that pop up their own window to try to pretend they're Windows messages? Big no no.

Creston

1. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 10:31 nin

Check out the change log on ss2. Love to know who the hell did this. Had to go find my cd last night.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo