Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches

This French Website offers new unofficial patches for Thief 2 and System Shock 2, updating these Looking Glass classics to version 1.19 and 2.4, respectively. As noted on Kotaku, these patches allow each game to be played on modern systems in high resolution, though of course, use of homebrew patches is done at one's own risk. In other unofficial update news, Kotaku also notes a the release of Complex version 8.2.4, a mod that likewise modernizes the space-based strategy of Homeworld 2. Thanks nin.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 27, 2012, 10:37 Shadowcat

are we playing old games now because there's nothing better to play now or something?
Well there's only ever been one game better than Thief, and that's System Shock; and neither of the sequels is far down the list. So I guess the answer to your question is basically "yes".

Is this actually confusing for you? I mean, if your all-time favourite film got a remastered print and a theatrical release, would you ignore it and go see something new, or would you see your favourite film on the big screen looking and sounding better than ever?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 27, 2012, 08:40 nin

Thanks for the heads up on that config file... Holy shit this person really added a lot of new features! Simply amazing.

Yeah, there's a ton of shit in there...a lot of it I'm scratching my head. But its awesome someone put that kind of time into it!

Love the fact that it picked up my video card and at 19x10, even w/o tweaks, the game looks decent.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2012, 09:35.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

37. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 27, 2012, 05:39 Fantaz

...are we playing old games now because there's nothing better to play now or something? game industry ran out of ideas?  

36. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 23:57 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 21:38:
Ok, here we go:

Install Shock 2 from cd.

Patch to latest version (2.3).

Extract new_dark.zip and contrib.zip contents into main install folder (this overwrites shock2.exe).

Run shock2.exe

Optional: Read through cam_ext.cfg to see if you want to tweak anything. I recommend "d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 640 480", as it makes the UI larger and easier to read from the MFD. Any of those changes you want to make go into cam.cfg file. (edit: Still monkeying around with the rez...it only seems to like 640 480?)

Extremely impressed. Works flawlessly on Win7 64, so far...there goes my weekend.

Thanks for figuring that out, nin.

Creston

35. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 23:55 Beelzebud

nin wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 21:38:
Ok, here we go:

Install Shock 2 from cd.

Extract new_dark.zip and contrib.zip contents into main install folder (this overwrites shock2.exe).

Run shock2.exe

Optional: Read through cam_ext.cfg to see if you want to tweak anything. I recommend "d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 640 480", as it makes the UI larger and easier to read from the MFD. Any of those changes you want to make go into cam.cfg file. (edit: Still monkeying around with the rez...it only seems to like 640 480?)

Extremely impressed. Works flawlessly on Win7 64, so far...there goes my weekend.

Thanks for the heads up on that config file... Holy shit this person really added a lot of new features! Simply amazing.

34. Re: News title is very misleading Sep 26, 2012, 23:01 MisterBenn

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 12:42:
By the way, anyone know what the changelog from 8.2.3 to 8.2.4 is? I am (not feeling like) downloading another 600mb just to find out nearly nothing changed

Complex Mod 8.2.3->8.2.4

LOG:
---NEW FEATURES---
All weapons range increased by 40% for a wider battle theater
---BUGS---
White screen bug should be fixed now (at least for the major part of video cards)
Vipers/Mines self-destroy bug fixed
---IMPROVEMENTS/BALANCING---
Hgn Gujking Balken Cannon damage reduced 250000->150000
Vgr Storm Corvette accuracy vs fighter reduced by 50%
Vgr Bomber weapon damage/accuracy vs frigate/capital increased by 10%
Vgr Bomber weapon damage/accuracy vs fighter/corvette reduced by 10%
Vgr Interceptor weapon damage increased by 20%
Hgn Ion Cannon Frigate weapon damage increased 2800->3200
Hgn Flak weapon damage/accuracy vs corvettes increased by 25%
Hgn Interceptor weapon damage vs frigates reduced by 20%
Hgn Vortex health reduced 375000->300000
Improvements on Solar System Map
Starting fleet configuration revisited
Explosion FXs improved
Explosion smoke fade time 2x on the battle field
Training game modality improved
Mp3 player improved, no more lag for the game
Several code optimizations for better game performance
Vgr Plasma Corvette weapon damage devreased by 40%
All Carriers HPs increased by 40%
Vgr Missile Bomber weapon damage reduced by 20%

I've skipped a few versions, I will be picking this one up...

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

33. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 21:38 nin

Ok, here we go:

Install Shock 2 from cd.

Run shock2.exe

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2012, 21:44.

32. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 20:02 dheer

Is this real life?

...So excited. Thank you mysterious french speaking dev / modder.

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

31. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 19:51 nin

Shok wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 19:44:
nin wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 19:27:
So I've not tried this yet, but notice it has it's own exe. Does that get rid of the cd check? And I can't remember (it's been so long) are the movies copied to the drive as apart of the install, or where they streamed off the cd?

I just installed it from CD using tafferpatcher then unzipped the files as instructed in the release_notes.txt with 1.19. Tafferpatcher installs the 1.18 update and can use either the CD as source or directories you extracted the CD's to. There is no cd check either. I didn't install any other compatibility or enhancements but the default ones in tafferpatcher for DX10 and it works fine so far. YMMV since I only played about 10 minutes...

EDIT: Also, movies are copied to hdd with tafferpatcher. Dunno if they were streamed originally or not.

D'oh. I should have mentioned I was thinking of SS2. Sorry! (But thank you!)

30. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 19:44 Shok

nin wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 19:27:
So I've not tried this yet, but notice it has it's own exe. Does that get rid of the cd check? And I can't remember (it's been so long) are the movies copied to the drive as apart of the install, or where they streamed off the cd?

I just installed it from CD using tafferpatcher then unzipped the files as instructed in the release_notes.txt with 1.19. Tafferpatcher installs the 1.18 update and can use either the CD as source or directories you extracted the CD's to. There is no cd check either. I didn't install any other compatibility or enhancements but the default ones in tafferpatcher for DX10 and it works fine so far. YMMV since I only played about 10 minutes but it seems to be running flawless for me at 2048x1152...

EDIT: Also, movies are copied to hdd with tafferpatcher. Dunno if they were streamed originally or not.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2012, 19:50.

29. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 19:27 nin

28. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 18:17 Shok

Thief 2 had rope arrows like Thief 1 didn't it? So much PC gaming goodness this year...and to think all the talk earlier of the death of the PC. Whatever.  

27. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 17:56 Cutter

I'd love to see hi-rez for TDS. Imagine Shalebridge Cradle in HR? Eeek! I just peed my pants!

And WTF is going on with the Thief 4? *grumble mumble*

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 17:26 nin

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 15:56:
I wonder who in the hell made these. It had to have been someone that used to work at Looking Glass. I installed System Shock 2, and am quite stunned how how nice this patch is for it. 1920x1080, and it's playing great. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

The rumor on the TTLG forums is this was related to an apparent Thief 2 source code leak a few years ago. It's not know if it (this patch, not the leak) was one of the people who originally worked on the game doing a little moonlighting (and thus, the anonymous release), or an accomplished person outside the group.

Either way, if they're somehow reading this, THANK YOU!

25. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 16:17 Beelzebud

They even did a massive update to the editor for System Shock 2. It's quite amazing.

Now I need to see if it all works with the high-res texture mod.

24. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 16:10 sauron

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 15:56:
I wonder who in the hell made these. It had to have been someone that used to work at Looking Glass. I installed System Shock 2, and am quite stunned how how nice this patch is for it. 1920x1080, and it's playing great. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

I was thinking that too. Alternatively it could be one of the Bioshock developers (although they kind of overlap with ex-Looking Glass).

If it's a talented amateur, they're REALLY talented and a big studio should sign them up right now!

Kittens!

23. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 15:56 Beelzebud

22. Re: News title is very misleading Sep 26, 2012, 15:49 nin

Yeah, I always turned off weapon degradation.

Looking forward to another SS2 run...

21. Re: News title is very misleading Sep 26, 2012, 15:47 Acleacius

BobBob wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 12:48:
The weapons degrade in System Shock 2 made the game tedious.
Iirc Levine said it was their biggest complaint/mistake realized that was a problem, allowed it to be disabled. Insane respawning too, though they still respawn just not 99.9% of the time.
Here are a couple of codes I found with a quick search for the User.cfg. TTLG forums would be an good way to find them.
gun_degrade_rate 0
no_spawn
safe_texture_manager
lower_spawn_min 100
raise_spawn_rand 100000

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

20. Re: Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Homeworld 2 Unofficial Patches Sep 26, 2012, 15:27 Fantaz

This is so awesome.  

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo