Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs

Ubisoft sends along system requirements and other relevant details about the Windows edition of Far Cry 3, the upcoming first-person shooter sequel. This includes three sets of specs (minimum, recommended, and hi-performance) as well as details on DRM, which, following recent indications, does not require a persistent internet connection, just a one-time online activation. Here's word:

Jump into an optimal Far Cry 3 experience with three sets of specs for a vast array of machines:

Minimum Specs
DirectX9c graphics card with 512MB Video RAM
Dual core CPU
4GB Memory

Example minimum 1 (NVidia/Intel)
NVidia GTX8800
Intel Core2 Duo E6700

Example minimum 2 (AMD)
AMD Radeon HD2900
AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+

Recommended Specs
DirectX11 graphics card with 1024MB Video RAM
Quad core CPU
4GB Memory

Example recommended 1 (NVidia/Intel)
NVidia GTX480
Intel Core i3-530
Example recommended 2 (AMD)
AMD Radeon HD5770
AMD Phenom II X2 565

Hi-Performance Specs
Latest DirectX11 graphics card
Latest quad core CPU
8GB Memory

Example hi-performance (NVidia/Intel)
NVidia GTX680
Intel Core i7-2600K

Example hi-performance (AMD)
AMD Radeon HD7970
AMD Bulldozer FX4150

A one-time activation of Far Cry 3 for PC is performed via Uplay PC. An internet connection is required for this one-time activation process. Once activated, the game can be played online to enjoy new social features in single player and multiplayer, such as Friends, Party and Chat, or switched to offline mode in the Uplay PC settings menu for a single player experience without broadband connection.

Far Cry 3 is scheduled to release in North America on December 4, 2012 for Windows® PC, the Xbox 360® and the Sony PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 26, 2012, 13:08 Matshock

Jerykk wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 12:33:
*shrugs*

I really didn't think it was hard to find the $50 digital download on Amazon and the Ubisoft store. Took all of one minute.

But yes, Ubisoft does want you to buy the $60 version. If they didn't, they wouldn't have made it. Same thing applies to every other game these days since they all have deluxe editions, as well as pre-order bonuses. FC3's deluxe edition is cheaper than the norm, since most cost $70+.

Online marketing is one of my bags, what UBI is basically doing is:

a) push marketing the $60 PC version- look what happens when you search "far cry 3 pc" on Amazon-

Amazon Search

From that list it looks like you can either get a $60 digital copy or a $50 DVD- this is what got me.

b)using the $50 digital order as a catch for people who are digging for bargains and

c) trying to punish the folks from b) by withholding actual game content from the $50 product and thereby pushing again the $60 product

There's going to be some slip and slide between the channels in this strategy which is what happened to you, which is why IMO this is a convoluted and half-assed strategy.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2012, 13:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 26, 2012, 12:33 Jerykk

*shrugs*

I really didn't think it was hard to find the $50 digital download on Amazon and the Ubisoft store. Took all of one minute.

But yes, Ubisoft does want you to buy the $60 version. If they didn't, they wouldn't have made it. Same thing applies to every other game these days since they all have deluxe editions, as well as pre-order bonuses. FC3's deluxe edition is cheaper than the norm, since most cost $70+.

24. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 26, 2012, 11:35 Matshock

Jerykk wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 02:51:
Matshock wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 22:58:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 21:50:
Matshock wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 16:36:
Amazon is listing $60 for digital. I see Dell is doing $50 though.

Huh.

Amazon was at 50 for XCOM EU DVD for a while then went to 60.

Pricing is all over the place for preorders these days.

The deluxe edition of FC3 is $60. Regular is $50. XCOM DVD is $60 because it has a bunch of physical goodies included. Digital download is $50.

I get all that- let's set aside XCOM.

UBI is:

a) charging $60 for digital delivery

b) withholding actual value content (missions, weapons) from the $50 boxed set that PC gamers don't want as a release product anyway AND it costs UBI more to deliver

They're pushing to $60.00- that's obvious. They're being half-assed about it like they are about their DRM.

If they push a non-deluxe digital version I'll retract but right now they're pushing $60.

Non-deluxe digital version

Or you can just buy the download version directly from Ubisoft: $50 Far Cry 3 digital download from Ubisoft store

I dislike Ubisoft as much as the next PC gamer but you really should do some degree of research before posting tirades.

Anywho, it's not exactly a secret that publishers are starting to abandon physical PC games in the U.S. A lot of games are digital-only these days, like Sleeping Dogs, Dark Souls, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, etc. A big reason for PC gaming's resurgence is the higher profit margin and long-term sales that digital distribution offers.

OK $50.

I will say that you have to manually select digital on Amazon's site and that UBI is giving one of the FOUR "optional" digital contents as pre-order bonuses on their own site which Amazon doesn't list on theirs. Amazon also lists that same content for XBOX & PS3 but not PC.

The only place you listed that gives the full picture for the PC is UBI's own website. Amazon is no slouch when it comes to content listing so there's something going there. Plus when I go to UBI's home page:

UBI Store

What's not there? In fact you have to click on the PC header (not any of the drop down items that appear when you touch the header, but the header itself ONLY) just to view it or get there through an external link and that path isn't easy either.

So, you want all the content and no hassles? $60.00. Is the art book even physical? If so doesn't that nullify the margin benefits of digital; if not aren't you really just paying for the full consent of the game itself?

They're still trying to push to $60- they're just doing a half-assed job of it.

Call it a tirade if you will but buying FC3 for PC is that complicated- it's a nice vehicle for debate but a poor one for sales IMO. I've got no desire to pre-order into that mess and I finished FC2 and enjoyed it all.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2012, 12:15.

23. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 26, 2012, 02:51 Jerykk

Matshock wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 22:58:

Huh.

The deluxe edition of FC3 is $60. Regular is $50. XCOM DVD is $60 because it has a bunch of physical goodies included. Digital download is $50.

UBI is:

b) withholding actual value content (missions, weapons) from the $50 boxed set that PC gamers don't want as a release product anyway AND it costs UBI more to deliver

They're pushing to $60.00- that's obvious. They're being half-assed about it like they are about their DRM.

If they push a non-deluxe digital version I'll retract but right now they're pushing $60.

Non-deluxe digital version

Or you can just buy the download version directly from Ubisoft: $50 Far Cry 3 digital download from Ubisoft store

I dislike Ubisoft as much as the next PC gamer but you really should do some degree of research before posting tirades.

Anywho, it's not exactly a secret that publishers are starting to abandon physical PC games in the U.S. A lot of games are digital-only these days, like Sleeping Dogs, Dark Souls, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, etc. A big reason for PC gaming's resurgence is the higher profit margin and long-term sales that digital distribution offers.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2012, 03:02.

22. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 22:58 Matshock

Huh.

UBI is:

21. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 21:50 Jerykk

Huh.

20. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 18:14 KilrathiAce

Word of advice to UBI, stop worrying about DRM and make sure this game is good at release and support it well if your goal is for this game to be a flagship game or big title...

Post game support with many titles is what throws off many people from this company.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

19. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 17:10 theyarecomingforyou

I'm really interested in the co-op, which looks like a completely different game. And if they've learnt from the mistakes of Far Cry 2 for singleplayer then it's going to be awesome. The videos they've shown so far haven't looked that impressive but I think that's because they from the console version, especially if they're recommending such high-end specs. Far Cry 2 had awesome graphics and was incredibly well optimised - I thought it was much better than Crysis in every way. If Far Cry 3 is as well done on the PC then I'll be very happy.

I'm glad that Ubisoft has gotten rid of the online DRM requirement, though I still want to know whether it has limited activations. I skipped on Anno 2070 because of the Tages 3-machine activation bullshit. After being locked out of Crysis 2 and STALKER: Clear Sky I can safely say that limited activations are retarded and only hurt legitimate customers, as pirates have working cracks within a day or two.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

18. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 16:40 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 16:24:
Beamer wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:31:
MajorD wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:25:
Beamer wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:13:
I wish I could remember what GPU I have. 460? 560? It's really never been important...

....not even the day you bought it huh? Wink

Heh, I went for bang for the buck at that point, putting the money into the CPU instead, with the expectation I'd build a new one within 18 months.
Been 26, no real reason to replace it, either.

GPU is more important than CPU in 99% of games. I have no idea why people always spend so much on CPUs and then buy some budget videocard. High-end CPUs are always overpriced. You can usually just buy a midrange CPU and then overclock it to achieve the same performance as the high-end CPUs.

Because I spend more PC time doing modeling and monte carlo simulations than I do playing any game at high resolutions, and therefore a high CPU speed is more in my favor?
Also, I picked up the i5-760 for $199, not like I broke the bank and got some octo-core.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 16:36 Matshock

Huh.

16. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 16:24 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:31:
MajorD wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:25:
Beamer wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:13:
I wish I could remember what GPU I have. 460? 560? It's really never been important...

....not even the day you bought it huh? Wink

Heh, I went for bang for the buck at that point, putting the money into the CPU instead, with the expectation I'd build a new one within 18 months.
Been 26, no real reason to replace it, either.

GPU is more important than CPU in 99% of games. I have no idea why people always spend so much on CPUs and then buy some budget videocard. High-end CPUs are always overpriced. You can usually just buy a midrange CPU and then overclock it to achieve the same performance as the high-end CPUs.

15. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 16:21 Jerykk

Matshock wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 15:23:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 15:05:
I wonder how much consolitis this one will suffer from, far cry 2 didn't support fov adjustments, it was locked down to 65.

FC2 got a FOV mod not long past release.

This is a $60 game anyway- by the time it gets down to where I want it there will be a FOV mod if its not an option on release day.

$50, actually. Ubisoft hasn't jumped on the $60 bandwagon yet.

14. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 15:23 Matshock

DangerDog wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 15:05:
I wonder how much consolitis this one will suffer from, far cry 2 didn't support fov adjustments, it was locked down to 65.

FC2 got a FOV mod not long past release.

This is a $60 game anyway- by the time it gets down to where I want it there will be a FOV mod if its not an option on release day.

13. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 15:21 Prez

Good on Ubisoft for sticking with their less DRM policy. Now I can start paying attention to see if this will be a further regression like Far Cry 2 was or a step in the right direction. FC2 was a good game but with some terrible design choices making it a far weaker game than the original, not the least of which was locking down the engine tight so modders couldn't even fix the most bone-headed foibles like the asinine spawning.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 15:19 Matshock

bhcompy wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:46:
Is this game seriously threaded or something? In general, game performance seems to be better with Phenoms rather than Bulldozers because of better single core performance, which makes their high performance suggestion kind of odd

Agreed- UBI is a big publisher though, they tend to exaggerate system specs to be BFF with the hardware folks. Once upon time many "high end" games included a bump mapping mode that made everything look pitted and would only run smooth on whatever cutting edge CPU/GPU was out. It looked like crap, but you did need the recommended system specs to run it.

I went to an i3 3.3ghz recently- it's a big step up from my Phenom 9500.

I think the only time you need a big 4+ core CPU for games is when you're on a laptop because of clock throttling.

11. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 15:15 avianflu

Yea but it still needs UPlay with its mandatory updates to the client, etc. One of those clients on my PC is already annoying (Steam) so I'll pass.

10. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 15:05 DangerDog

9. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 14:46 bhcompy

Is this game seriously threaded or something? In general, game performance seems to be better with Phenoms rather than Bulldozers because of better single core performance, which makes their high performance suggestion kind of odd  

8. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 14:46 NegaDeath

Getting better Ubi, slowly but surely.

Liked the first game, didn't like the second one (though I appreciate certain aspects of it), the third is sounding like its up my alley.

7. Re: Far Cry 3 DRM Details, Specs Sep 25, 2012, 14:34 John

I wish Blizzard would do the same with D3 as far as the one-time activation goes.  
This space is available for rent

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo