Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live

Gambitious is a new crowd-sourced funding website with a gaming-only focus, and Eurogamer notes that one of the projects listed there is Earth No More, which is "presented" by 3D Realms, the Duke Nukem Forever developer presumed to be defunct following its inability to finish that game after more than a decade. Apparently 3D Realms co-founder Scott Miller is a member of the Gambitious advisory board, which helps explain how it ended up there. There aren't any details for the moment, so it's not clear how closely this Earth No More relates to the game 3D Realms announced in 2007 that got them sued a year later. In 2009, developer Recoil Games said that the collapse of 3D Realms would not derail their first-person shooter, but by the end of the year rumors emerged that the game was on "indefinite hold."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 18:07 Beelzebud

It really is astounding that they're trying this. These assholes burned through tens of millions of dollars and couldn't even finish their own game.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 15:33 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:48:
They haven't even started the project yet and they already have close to 200 followers with gambitious accounts.

There were quite a few that hung out on the 3DRealms Forums with their "When it's Done" heads up George's and Scott's ass. So, I'm not surprised that they already have 200 followers. I mean, it's not like these people suddenly grew any brain cells. Heh.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2012, 15:46.

13. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 14:48 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:40:
Yeah, this was my thought. Given their history and association to DNF, how could they possibly think they'll get anything beyond a trickle of support? Only someone with Alzheimer's would forget that debacle.
They haven't even started the project yet and they already have close to 200 followers with gambitious accounts.

12. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 14:40 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:23:
Gambitious is going to run into SO... MANY... legal problems.

But boring legal stuff aside, hahahaha, please crowd fund another George Broussard / 3DRealms venture, guys! This time they promise they won't just piss it all away while the entire dev team is playing WoW. (they'll be playing GW2 instead.)

Are they really this clueless?

Creston

Yeah, this was my thought. Given their history and association to DNF, how could they possibly think they'll get anything beyond a trickle of support? Only someone with Alzheimer's would forget that debacle.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 14:23 Creston

Gambitious is going to run into SO... MANY... legal problems.

But boring legal stuff aside, hahahaha, please crowd fund another George Broussard / 3DRealms venture, guys! This time they promise they won't just piss it all away while the entire dev team is playing WoW. (they'll be playing GW2 instead.)

Are they really this clueless?

Creston

10. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 13:51 jacobvandy

Yeah, no.  

9. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 13:07 Beelzebud

ROFL I guess they were rejected by Kickstarter, so they just started their own?

Please tell me people aren't stupid enough to hand them their hard earned money...

8. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 12:05 Dev

Yes, because this type of game with such a past makes me so confident in a new crowdsource website.

Edit: Was looking at the FAQ. One difference from KS is that you can invest in the company for a return on the money (some other KS competitor offers that, like the one that the jupiter sequel project was on).

And the bit in the FAQ that they aren't compliant with US law makes me feel so much better.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2012, 12:29.

7. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 11:37 wtf_man

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 10:05:
I think it is interesting that they did not go through Kickstarter. What is the advantage to creating your own Kickstarter competitor?

One of the differences I read at RPS was that Gambitious allows big investors to contribute for a "share" of the game's profits or something like that.

So I guess that would be the next level of getting venture funds, and bypassing a traditional publisher.

That said... I wouldn't spend a dime on anything with 3DRealms name and / or folks attached to it.... even if someone else is doing the actual developing.

6. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 10:39 Xil

from http://www.kickstarter.com/start

Kickstarter collects a 5% fee from the projectís funding total if and only if a project is successfully funded. Amazon (our payments processor) also charges credit card processing fees that generally work out to 3-5%.

5. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 10:37 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 10:06:
Does Kickstarter take a percentage of those donations for their operating costs?

Believe so, yes.

I believe Kickstarter takes 3% and Amazon Payments takes another 4%. Or it might be the other way around but I believe a few people have said you lose 7% off the top.

And yeah, a project by 3D Realms, that was cancelled in 2009 due to lack of funding before a single ounce of gameplay was shown and they won't say who is developing it. That either means they don't actually have a developer yet or the one they do have is one known for making bad games. I'm sure ready to drop a pile of money on that. It's incredible to me that after the shit show that was Duke Nukem Forever, Broussard still sees himself as an industry superstar and that the 3D Realms brand is anything more than a punchline. Their chances of this succeeding would probably be a lot better if they'd just let that brand die and start things with a new name. But Broussard's ego won't allow that.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

4. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 10:06 nin

Does Kickstarter take a percentage of those donations for their operating costs?

Believe so, yes.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 10:05 Bill Borre

I think it is interesting that they did not go through Kickstarter. What is the advantage to creating your own Kickstarter competitor? Does Kickstarter take a percentage of those donations for their operating costs? I just assumed they were ad revenue funded.  

2. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 09:55 nin

Or you could just, I dunno, burn your money in piles on the floor and save time...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 09:55 Stanly Manly

Sounds pretty shady to me.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo