Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 25, 2012, 20:24 Sepharo

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 10:37:
2) not offer a pre-installed choice screen. If you installed Windows 7 after the "update" you would not get this popup, ever.

What "update" are you referring to? I built this machine Jan 2010 and saw the choice screen (first time for me) upon installing Win 7.

edit: Oh maybe I should RTFA

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 25, 2012, 17:54 RollinThundr

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 15:43:
You are forgetting that they want to sell stuff. It takes MS no effort to offer at least the BIG 3 at start but who'd buy a PC without a browser?

The EU pushes for linux adoption in governance..

I think you misunderstand what this EU lawsuit is for, they want to prevent MS from becoming too powerful, so your idea would be more than welcome I think....

They should remove every feature of the OS while they're at it. No media player or Windows live for example. Wouldn't want to be intrusive to anyone in Europe now having working program options available right away to them upon installation. Rolleyes2

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 25, 2012, 15:43 eRe4s3r

You are forgetting that they want to sell stuff. It takes MS no effort to offer at least the BIG 3 at start but who'd buy a PC without a browser?

The EU pushes for linux adoption in governance..

I think you misunderstand what this EU lawsuit is for, they want to prevent MS from becoming too powerful, so your idea would be more than welcome I think....

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 25, 2012, 15:00 Leper

MS should just remove IE and have no installed browser for EU residents. Maybe put a message in there that says call your government representative or figure out how to otherwise install a browser.  

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 25, 2012, 10:37 eRe4s3r

MS wants to pay these fines apparently - the ruling was simple - Offer a choice at start (via update) for EVERYONE in the EU and on first boot for a new customer. MS did 1) Offer a hotfix that showed the popup, but that didn't work for many and Ms did 2) not offer a pre-installed choice screen. If you installed Windows 7 after the "update" you would not get this popup, ever. Same for Windows 8

Thus, they are violating the directive so obviously that the fine was without question to follow. NO idea why they are doing that. At some point billion $ fines ought to get their attention.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo