Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2012, 01:37 Wowbagger_TIP

WarPig wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 23:52:
Not sure why they reviewed it, can't review a "who has it" call anyway when the call was made on the field.....they went over that last night in great detail.

Remember, they automatically review all scoring plays. They at least had to see if the ball hit the ground. Although in this case they may have been reviewing a movie or something.
Yeah, I read that a simultaneous catch is reviewable if it's in the end zone. I'm not up on all the arcane rules though, so I can't tell who's right or wrong on the details here. Just know that any way you cut it, that was one of the most horrible calls ever.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 23:52 WarPig

Not sure why they reviewed it, can't review a "who has it" call anyway when the call was made on the field.....they went over that last night in great detail.

Remember, they automatically review all scoring plays. They at least had to see if the ball hit the ground. Although in this case they may have been reviewing a movie or something.

GO SEAHAWKS!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 23:25 xXBatmanXx

My perception of iPhone users is EXACTLY THIS:
http://videosift.com/video/Waiting-for-an-iPhone-5-for-no-reason

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 23:20 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:08:
Amazing seeing all the articles today with many calling the worst possible call of all time. One article has tweets from players all over the league with stuff like Griffin, 'Wow, I'm absolutely speechless.' and so on like this gem about some of the Seahawks out for a victory dinner afterward seeing what actually happened on the TV in the restaurant....

As Lynch watched Packers safety M.D. Jennings snatch the pass out of the sky and pull it to his chest while Tate, who had blatantly pushed off against Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields, belatedly latched on one arm at a time, the running back's eyes grew big and his jaw dropped low. The room was dead silent as the realization gripped Lynch and his companions: Like most of the viewing public, they now understood that the Seahawks had received an extraordinary gift from the replacement officials.

"We didn't win that game," someone at the table said, and nobody made a peep to challenge him.

By the time Lynch left the restaurant early Tuesday morning and, while waiting for his ride to arrive, reassured a group of Packers fans on Second Avenue almost apologetically that their team would bounce back from this bitter defeat, it was clear the league's already problematic officiating lockout had reached critical mass.

And the league has upheld it even though there was clearly OPI and Jennings clearly had control of the ball. The fix is in.

Can't overturn a call on the field in that way.....they got together after the 2 had seperate calls and said it was a TD. Not sure why they reviewed it, can't review a "who has it" call anyway when the call was made on the field.....they went over that last night in great detail.

The only thing they could review is if one of them was out of bounds or came from out of bounds.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 23:18 nin

Looks like it's at $43.20 @ GMG currently (with coupon)...and we know they work.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: The Refs Sep 25, 2012, 23:18 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 17:55:
It's important to understand what the lockout is about and what it is not about. It's not about the money. This is a $2 million dispute in a $50 billion league. That's the equivalent of locking your spouse out of the house b/c he or she goes once a week to Starbucks for a coffee and muffin. This is about breaking the refs union. That's it. That's the whole reason for the lockout, to break the ref union and send a message to the player union. So, expect it to continue until the refs say uncle.

They also want them to work fulltime. It is about money. It is about them being fulltime. Union, fine. But it is ALWAYS about the money.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 23:15 xXBatmanXx

Anyone ever use this site?

http://www.intkeys.com

BL2 25.00 - use at your own risk.

15. Re: The Refs Sep 25, 2012, 20:44 WarPig

Check this out.

Some of the current NFL Refs were not good enough for the Lingerie League and were fired!

GO SEAHAWKS!

14. The Refs Sep 25, 2012, 17:55 jdreyer

It's important to understand what the lockout is about and what it is not about. It's not about the money. This is a $2 million dispute in a $50 billion league. That's the equivalent of locking your spouse out of the house b/c he or she goes once a week to Starbucks for a coffee and muffin. This is about breaking the refs union. That's it. That's the whole reason for the lockout, to break the ref union and send a message to the player union. So, expect it to continue until the refs say uncle.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 14:15 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 13:19:
What's funny is that everyone is now clamoring for the old refs to return. Yet when those old refs are in charge, everyone is bitching about how utterly fucking terrible those guys are. Rose-tinted glasses, I guess?
You're right, there is always bitching about the refs. It happens in every sport. This is beyond that normal complaining. This was two separate and totally obvious calls on the same play that were both exactly wrong -- getting either of them correct changes the result of the game.

And heck, I don't even like the Packers!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 14:12 Creston

Cutter wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:08:
And the league has upheld it even though there was clearly OPI and Jennings clearly had control of the ball. The fix is in.

I wouldn't say it's a fix (why would the NFL favor Seattle over Green Bay?), as more of a "DO NOT OVERTURN CALLS FROM THE REPLACEMENT REFS!!!" mandate by the Red Moron to the video booth guys.

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 14:10 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 14:06:
I don't watch much football these days, but I have heard plenty about the fucked up situation with the noob officiating... What has become blatantly apparent is, the NFL does not give two shits about the quality of the product they're offering.

The sport is just so popular, people are continuing to tune in en masse despite a MAJOR change for the worse like this, so there is no incentive whatsoever for them to make amends with the striking professional refs. They were able to save however millions of dollars by telling them to fuck off and bringing in the replacements, and if the consumers don't wise up and turn it off to the point of hurting their bottom line, you're just going to have to get used to stuff like last night happening all the time.

Yep. Quite frankly, I'd be amazed if the NFL even bothers to bring the old refs back.

But then again, shit like this was happening WITH THE OLD REFS TOO. These new ones really aren't all that much worse than the original crews. I think most of the "man, these new guys suck so badly!" is just confirmation bias. They are new crews, so therefore they must suck.

The old refs suck too, and got just as many calls wrong. I actually find it refreshing to see a game go by where not every play beyond ten yards gets called back because of a fucking Holding call 50 feet away from the play.

Creston

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 14:08 Cutter

Amazing seeing all the articles today with many calling the worst possible call of all time. One article has tweets from players all over the league with stuff like Griffin, 'Wow, I'm absolutely speechless.' and so on like this gem about some of the Seahawks out for a victory dinner afterward seeing what actually happened on the TV in the restaurant....

As Lynch watched Packers safety M.D. Jennings snatch the pass out of the sky and pull it to his chest while Tate, who had blatantly pushed off against Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields, belatedly latched on one arm at a time, the running back's eyes grew big and his jaw dropped low. The room was dead silent as the realization gripped Lynch and his companions: Like most of the viewing public, they now understood that the Seahawks had received an extraordinary gift from the replacement officials.

"We didn't win that game," someone at the table said, and nobody made a peep to challenge him.

By the time Lynch left the restaurant early Tuesday morning and, while waiting for his ride to arrive, reassured a group of Packers fans on Second Avenue almost apologetically that their team would bounce back from this bitter defeat, it was clear the league's already problematic officiating lockout had reached critical mass.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 14:06 jacobvandy

I don't watch much football these days, but I have heard plenty about the fucked up situation with the noob officiating... What has become blatantly apparent is, the NFL does not give two shits about the quality of the product they're offering.

The sport is just so popular, people are continuing to tune in en masse despite a MAJOR change for the worse like this, so there is no incentive whatsoever for them to make amends with the striking professional refs. They were able to save however millions of dollars by telling them to fuck off and bringing in the replacements, and if the consumers don't wise up and turn it off to the point of hurting their bottom line, you're just going to have to get used to stuff like last night happening all the time.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 13:24 banddirector

Cutter wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 12:22:
OMFG I was ready to snap last night! I think I just sat and stared at the TV without blinking for a full five minutes at the end of last night's game untill I blurted out, 'Are you fucking kidding me?'. Who the fuck was refing that? Stevie Wonder? Ok Goodell you prick, get this dispute settled. Holy blue flaming Jesus! This league makes billions and they can't afford to give the real refs a bit more - for what's really a pittance to the owners?!

Every team has been getting screwed now, some in completely unacceptable way like last night. I was amazed that even the generally neutral commentators were sounding really pissed off and talking long and loud about how this left a bad taste in their mouths and this situation needs to get sorted out PDQ!

Wow, just fucking wow!

That's the Cutter response I was expecting!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 13:19 Creston

OMFG I was ready to snap last night! I think I just sat and stared at the TV without blinking for a full five minutes at the end of last night's game untill I blurted out, 'Are you fucking kidding me?'. Who the fuck was refing that? Stevie Wonder? Ok Goodell you prick, get this dispute settled. Holy blue flaming Jesus! This league makes billions and they can't afford to give the real refs a bit more - for what's really a pittance to the owners?!

Every team has been getting screwed now, some in completely unacceptable way like last night. I was amazed that even the generally neutral commentators were sounding really pissed off and talking long and loud about how this left a bad taste in their mouths and this situation needs to get sorted out PDQ!

Wow, just fucking wow!

What's funny is that everyone is now clamoring for the old refs to return. Yet when those old refs are in charge, everyone is bitching about how utterly fucking terrible those guys are. Rose-tinted glasses, I guess?

I think the guy in the videobooth got a call from the Red Rocket last night saying "DO NOT FUCKING OVERTURN THIS CALL!"

Creston

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 12:57 space captain

OMFG I was ready to snap last night! I think I just sat and stared at the TV without blinking for a full five minutes

mmm hmmm

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 12:22 Cutter

Wow, just fucking wow!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 11:12 mch

Yeah, the NHL lockout is killing me more...but wow. So many jokes this morning about how Bettman is no longer the most hated commish around.  
PSN: CaseDesignate

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2012, 11:08 PropheT

mch wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 09:54:
Thought this was pretty funny, coming from Gov Walker:

@GovWalker After catching a few hours of sleep, the #Packers game is still just as painful. #Returntherealrefs

After the games last weekend and then that game last night... eesh. I'm bummed as hell because of the hockey lockout, but football right now is more depressing.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo