Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Secret World's New Game Director

Funcom announces Joel Bylos has taken up the reins as Game Director of The Secret World, their conspiratorial MMORPG. The game suffered recent layoffs which included the game's lead designer, and this post from Ragnar Tørnquist explains Joel's role in the operation as well as how Ragnar is stepping down as the game's senior producer to focus on his role as creative director. "Being given the opportunity to lead the game into a bold, new future is definitely a dream come true for me," says Bylos. "I am very proud of what we as a team have created with ‘The Secret World’, and it is truly a brilliant canvas that will allow us to create more groundbreaking MMO experiences for many years to come. ‘The Secret World’ is only really getting started, and with a game world that draws upon our own, real world, there is no limit to what sort of amazing stories we can tell and fantastic locations we can visit in the upcoming content updates."

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. No subject Sep 25, 2012, 02:18 bfg9000

Don't believe the "no levels" claim. There is an XP bar along the bottom of your UI. There may be no levels precisely but its still grind>ding>spend points>grind.
No classes? What the smeg are those "decks" then?

Don't believe the "Innovative quests" claim. Yes there are some fantastic (by MMO standards) deliciously different quests. But the bulk of them are gathering, delivering and grinding mobs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: The Secret World's New Game Director Sep 24, 2012, 20:11 The Half Elf

I really fell in love with the setting before playing the game, but after playing it.... meh. GREAT voice acting and accents, but the character I made looks like a Thunderbirds puppet on speed. The quest log/journal wasn't very intuitive, the Travel World Tree was awesome, but overall the game just doesn't have the 'awesomeness' that Age of Conan had in the first 20 levels.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 24, 2012, 17:23 HorrorScope

wtf_man wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 15:54:
In another 6 months... this guy will get fired or quit, and someone else will take over.

Funcom has not made one MMO yet that was polished enough for launch. Not One. You would thin they'd get that through their skulls after 3 failed MMO launches... and by failed I mean way short of expected sales and subscriptions. It doesn't matter if they are still running... all 3 are commercial flops... with AO being the only one that decently recovered.

I think they need to take some steps back and just make a single player game. But they won't all they see is tax break money and the dream of $15 a month. It looks so good in their spreadsheets. Dreamers.

8. Re: The Secret World's New Game Director Sep 24, 2012, 15:54 wtf_man

In another 6 months... this guy will get fired or quit, and someone else will take over.

Funcom has not made one MMO yet that was polished enough for launch. Not One. You would thin they'd get that through their skulls after 3 failed MMO launches... and by failed I mean way short of expected sales and subscriptions. It doesn't matter if they are still running... all 3 are commercial flops... with AO being the only one that decently recovered.

7. Re: The Secret World's New Game Director Sep 24, 2012, 15:43 NKD

bobbyweenus wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 14:58:
Ragnar ran AoC into the ground before launch

Wrong guy. Tornquist wasn't on the AOC team.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

6. Re: The Secret World's New Game Director Sep 24, 2012, 15:28 Fibrocyte

KS wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 15:23:
As City of Heroes is shutting down, I'm looking for something else, and TSW was one on the list. Layoffs and management shuffles after launch don't inspire me with confidence.

To be fair, you WERE playing City of Heroes which means you'll play just about anything...

5. Re: The Secret World's New Game Director Sep 24, 2012, 15:23 KS

As City of Heroes is shutting down, I'm looking for something else, and TSW was one on the list. Layoffs and management shuffles after launch don't inspire me with confidence.  

4. Re: The Secret World's New Game Director Sep 24, 2012, 14:58 bobbyweenus

Ragnar ran AoC into the ground before launch and he pretty much did it to TSW as well. He's the biggest problem at Funcom. His incompetence and ignorance is what made Conan go from being a mature, niche hardcore MMO to a half-cocked commercialized mess. The game scrapped every idea that made it unique, and it's a shame that Funcom gave the reigns of another good idea like TSW to Ragnar, because it's once again crippled another game before it had the chance to get off the ground.  

3. Re: The Secret World's New Game Director Sep 24, 2012, 13:41 NKD

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 12:47:
Unless, of course, you just want the MMO genre to die.

Why would anyone want that?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

2. Re: The Secret World's New Game Director Sep 24, 2012, 12:47 Bill Borre

Unless, of course, you just want the MMO genre to die. Then the fact that it isn't doing better is merely one more nail in the coffin.  

1. Re: The Secret World's New Game Director Sep 24, 2012, 11:37 NKD

A shame this isn't doing better. One of the few MMOs to try something new in the character advancement department, and to stray from generic settings.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo