Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL

Kotaku has a confirmation of recent indications that Mark of the Ninja is coming to Steam, saying Klei Entertainment's platformer should appear on the service within the next couple of weeks. "I'm primarily a PC person myself and I'm not okay, in any way, with this feeling like a shoddy port," lead designer Nels Anderson reassures them. "It's my intention that this is a full, proper version of the game in its own right." They also have reassurances that in spite of being published by Microsoft, this version of the game will not be saddles with the Games for Windows LIVE service. Thanks nin.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL Sep 24, 2012, 22:56 Jerykk

finga wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 18:29:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 12:32:
Wait, MS is publishing the PC version too? That's very odd. Alan Wake was published by MS on X360 but the PC version was not. If MS is publishing, I'm shocked it isn't a Windows 8 exclusive.
I bet they shopped that idea around to a few publishers and developers. And I'm betting those people/companies told them to fuck off. Well, they probably said it a bit nicer than that, but yeah.

Actually, after reading the story, I don't see any reason why Microsoft would be publishing the PC port. When you get accepted to put your game on Steam, you don't actually need a publisher, and would only get saddled with one if you had some previous agreement. So I doubt MS are actually publishing this, unless it's some kind of new company policy from MS that developers can skip XBLA six-month exclusivity (like Super Meat Boy, Braid, or Fez had) if they let MS take a cut of the profits from a PC port.

Eh? I don't remember any of those games skipping the 6-month exclusivity clause. Fez still hasn't been released for PC. I'm guessing MS only agreed to distribute Mark of the Ninja on XBLA and didn't actually fund its development, otherwise I seriously doubt we'd be seeing it on PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL Sep 24, 2012, 22:14 micsun

Yeah there are games out there that I really want to buy, but they have crud on them like Games for Windows Live or Origin attached to them and it turns in to an instant NO BUY.

Steam or nothing.

7. Re: Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL Sep 24, 2012, 18:29 finga

Jerykk wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 12:32:
Wait, MS is publishing the PC version too? That's very odd. Alan Wake was published by MS on X360 but the PC version was not. If MS is publishing, I'm shocked it isn't a Windows 8 exclusive.
I bet they shopped that idea around to a few publishers and developers. And I'm betting those people/companies told them to fuck off. Well, they probably said it a bit nicer than that, but yeah.

Actually, after reading the story, I don't see any reason why Microsoft would be publishing the PC port. When you get accepted to put your game on Steam, you don't actually need a publisher, and would only get saddled with one if you had some previous agreement. So I doubt MS are actually publishing this, unless it's some kind of new company policy from MS that developers can skip XBLA six-month exclusivity (like Super Meat Boy, Braid, or Fez had) if they let MS take a cut of the profits from a PC port.

6. Re: Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL Sep 24, 2012, 17:43 jdreyer

Yeah, I've been hearing great stuff about this. Can't wait to check it out.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL Sep 24, 2012, 15:21 Elessar

Played the 360 demo and thought it was a fantastic platformer, with tight controls and slick gameplay. I held off because of the PC rumors, so I'm stoked to hear about this. I'm definitely getting it on Steam.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

4. Re: Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL Sep 24, 2012, 12:32 Jerykk

3. Re: Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL Sep 24, 2012, 11:21 Prez

Yeah, Microsoft really did a bang-up job with GFWL - several years and multiple "recommitments" to the PC since its release and it's still considered a major plus when a game doesn't use it.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

2. Re: Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL Sep 24, 2012, 11:09 netnerd85

Sweet, wait...

No GFWL? no purchase!

Giggle

1. Re: Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL Sep 24, 2012, 10:15 nin

Woot! No GFMFWL!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..