Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the ten bestselling titles on Steam for the past week:

1. Borderlands 2
  2. Torchlight II
  3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  4. FTL: Fater ThanLight
  5. Borderlands 2 Season Pass
  6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  7. Arma II: Combined Operations
  8. F1 2012
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

View
157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

77. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 04:20 eRe4s3r

Professional Chariot Racing simulator... you were joking, but that'd be kinda cool. With proper physics, and maybe even "build your own chariot" + "breed horses" + realistic physics + combat element... actually.. that sounds not just cool, that'd be awesome ^^  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 04:01 Armengar

What is F1 201 like, is that AD or BC? Wouldnt mind bit of chariot racing.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

75. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 03:51 jacobvandy

Oh yeah, I've seen several class mods or shields that give you significantly larger bonuses for having multiple people in your party using the same or similar items. All the arguing going on here is about solo play, and has ignored the fairly large variety of options available for team support and synergy. The Siren can very easily spec as a HEALER, and be successful doing little else but support her teammates in that way.  

74. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 24, 2012, 03:41 DarkCntry

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 03:19:
Problem is you have to put 5 points in that skill to get to the Double cannon on the Turret Tree.

No, you don't. The skill level increases regardless where you put the point in that tree. It's not a successive tree, it's a cumulative tree.

As for the argument on Passive VS Active, honestly, a skill is a skill to me. If a passive is going to allow me to mow through people faster and more efficiently, I'll take that over an active skill that basically is a flashy attack with the same possible modifiers.

Besides, a lot of the issues most people have is the teamplay aspect, which is tied more into the Class mods and the "teamwork" line of passives, which most people won't use because they aren't generally as good as class-specific mods. My Commando has a -47% cooldown reduction, which is great for the turret. My Siren, on the other hand, has a mod that increases the percentage healed by Restoration shots, which is useless solo and why I rarely have it equipped.

73. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 03:40 RailWizard

Six barrels of fun.

This is what D3 should've been. And for $20, you just CAN NOT argue with that.

72. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 03:39 jacobvandy

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 03:19:
Problem is you have to put 5 points in that skill to get to the Double cannon on the Turret Tree.

Actually, you don't. You are not required to spend points in a particular tier in order to unlock the subsequent one. Spending that 5 points anywhere else on the tree will work.

Bhruic wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 01:09:
Because passive skills are just that - passive. "Increase gun damage by 4%". That doesn't actually do anything. It doesn't change the way you play. Yes, some of the passive skills reward certain types of behaviour, but they don't (tend to) give you tactical options. Or, at least, not as much as active skills do. The other thing active skills do is allow you to differentiate between the characters. The Assassin gets more passive bonuses to sniping, but beyond some extra damage, there's no significant gameplay difference between playing the Assassin as a sniper, or playing the Siren as a sniper. That's where active skills can come in, they can help differentiate between each character in ways that passive skills don't.

Right now, in order to try and make my different characer playthroughs feel "different", I'm forced to try and use different weapons for each one, which isn't necessarily productive when you weapon drops are random.

Borderlands is a shooter game, first and foremost. If you're having to force yourself to play a certain way to enjoy it, maybe you've had your fill... But that's besides the fact that each class DOES have several different builds to support specific play styles. Just because the difference between shield-turtling defensive, turret-spamming indirect, massive-crit offensive, etc. isn't as large as warrior vs. rogue vs. wizard, that doesn't mean "passives don't do anything."

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2012, 03:47.

71. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 03:21 The Half Elf

Draugr wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 01:02:
People buying FTL will not be disappointed.

http://i.imgur.com/ylW2S.jpg

LOL That is awesome yet totally accurate

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

70. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 24, 2012, 03:19 The Half Elf

Dev wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:27:
PHJF wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:19:
one that adds +1 to grenade count.
I agree that that skill is useless, especially since you can just buy it with eridium.
But, the solution is simple, just dont put skill points into that skill. There's enough other places to put it into that tree you dont have to put a single point into the grenade skill.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

69. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 02:49 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 23:54:
I am very careful who I play a game with. A couple friends joined the other day and just flew the game forward....that wasn't fun at all. I am inspecting loot (they were 2 levels ahead of me) and they are advancing the story. I just quit out, now I have to use another character to play through that stuff again so I can read and listen to the story. So frustrating. ON TOP OF THAT, they weren't doing the "bonus" stuff for the kills, so I was getting frustrated....

Have some friends who go slow like I do, and that is fun. Mostly playing solo just to experience the game and explore though, then probably group up more later or on 2nd playthrough. But level 10-12 seems pretty important for weapon drops, I am finding a lot of good gear.

I always do every side quest and listen to every recording, etc. The story is pretty cool this time around, and I want to enjoy it.

So if you want to play some co-op with someone who's not just rushing to get to Terramorphous, give me a shout.

Creston

68. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 01:09 Bhruic

Jerykk wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:28:
Having Deception as a prerequisite doesn't make Death Blossom any less of an active skill.

It's not really a separate active skill. You can't ever use Death Blossom without using Deception. So yeah, it does make it less of an active skill overall.

I'm not really sure why people feel that passive skills are somehow less significant than active skills anyway. They still allow you to specialize your playstyle, which is the whole point of skill trees to begin with. If you're playing as an Assassin and you like sniping, there's a specific skill tree that makes you the most effective at sniping. If you prefer melee, there's a skill tree for that. If you want something in between, there's a skill tree for that too. You can't be the best at everything so the skill tree serves its purpose.

Because passive skills are just that - passive. "Increase gun damage by 4%". That doesn't actually do anything. It doesn't change the way you play. Yes, some of the passive skills reward certain types of behaviour, but they don't (tend to) give you tactical options. Or, at least, not as much as active skills do. The other thing active skills do is allow you to differentiate between the characters. The Assassin gets more passive bonuses to sniping, but beyond some extra damage, there's no significant gameplay difference between playing the Assassin as a sniper, or playing the Siren as a sniper. That's where active skills can come in, they can help differentiate between each character in ways that passive skills don't.

Right now, in order to try and make my different characer playthroughs feel "different", I'm forced to try and use different weapons for each one, which isn't necessarily productive when you weapon drops are random.

67. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 01:02 Draugr

People buying FTL will not be disappointed.

http://i.imgur.com/ylW2S.jpg

66. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 00:44 RailWizard

rist3903 wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 00:27:
FTL is such a sweet little game.

Google WTF is FTL to see if you might like it.

Have seen much chatter about it. Interest is definitely piqued.

65. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 00:27 rist3903

FTL is such a sweet little game.

Google WTF is FTL to see if you might like it.

64. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 00:12 RailWizard

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 23:54:
I am very careful who I play a game with. A couple friends joined the other day and just flew the game forward....that wasn't fun at all. I am inspecting loot (they were 2 levels ahead of me) and they are advancing the story. I just quit out, now I have to use another character to play through that stuff again so I can read and listen to the story. So frustrating. ON TOP OF THAT, they weren't doing the "bonus" stuff for the kills, so I was getting frustrated....

Have some friends who go slow like I do, and that is fun. Mostly playing solo just to experience the game and explore though, then probably group up more later or on 2nd playthrough. But level 10-12 seems pretty important for weapon drops, I am finding a lot of good gear.

Yeah I tried some co-op in TL2(no idea what game you're talking about...) and it was pretty much the same. Everyone just rushes though everything, ignoring all the little things. I left and am much more enjoying it solo.

I mean, you kill a npc and it drops a portal to a secret challenge(dungeon)...and they just ignore it! lol. So many things about TL2 that make it better than D3 it's just scary. Only $20 too lol, that's a huge kick in the blizznuts.

edit: actually due to your "bonus" stuff for kills comment, I'm guessing you mean BL2. That does make a diff yes. Personally, with the "free" version I just gave myself 255 golden keys and called it a day.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2012, 00:23.

63. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 23:54 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

62. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 23:38 eRe4s3r

Yeah I guess my erratic play-time is a doom bringer to any COOP play for me. Its an hour on and off at random times.. so I am kinda stuck with public games  

61. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 23:37 Dades

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 21:45:
From what I'm hearing, Torchlight 2 doesn't need to be saved.

Yeah its a great game, totally made up for the disappointment that was Diablo 3. It doesn't have the AAA production value of that game but the enjoyment factor is there and that's what matters. Loads of replay value and modding support, it will hold me over until Grim Dawn no problem.

60. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 23:24 Axis

When I play an ARPG, I think solely about longevity. Something I want to keep playing semi-longterm -- keep working at getting better items, better loot, improving my characters. Yes I played the crap outta D2, and I'm spoiled and have been waiting for a worthy successor. I'm sure many of you are as well.

But that successor is not TL2. I know reviewers are gushing right now because of their supreme disappointment that D3 was not as they'd hoped and we're in the honeymoon stage of a new arpg, but TL2 does not fill the void that server-side persistent character building brings to the table in these games.

In it's own right, T2 is fine, but it's not a game that will have lasting appeal for people like me who crave what D2 brought. I compare these new ARPG's to PoE because PoE does and will have long lasting appeal - and makes great strides in innovation of the genre to boot. Since there's been a new surge and interest in arpg's, its natural to compare with diablo and others as everyone has been doing.

I got my moneys worth out of TL2, its worth 20 bucks. But it's no Diablo2 successor as many would have you believe. D2 is the king of all comparisons due to its longterm lasting appeal. The only arpg I see out there that has longterm lasting appeal is PoE.

There's a few more on the horizon, maybe one of them will fit the bill as well.

Yours truly,

Axis

59. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 23:20 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:48:

I'm not really sure why people feel that passive skills are somehow less significant than active skills anyway.

Because they are. Having an ability which affects the way a game is played is not remotely comparable to having something which changes a one to a two in a .sav file.

The only people who give a fuck about shit like that are min/maxers.

Except stat changes do affect the way a game is played. If your character has a high crit chance and high crit damage, you're going to focus on weapons/attacks with high base damage instead of damage over time or DPS. If your character has low health and shields, you are going to use hit and run tactics instead of wading into battle.

Most RPGs do not have many (if any) active abilities. When you level up your attributes and skills, you do so for the passive benefits which have a significant impact on how you play the game. When I played Arcanum, I dumped all my points into Charisma and Persuasion, which allowed me to talk my way through many quests. For those quests where diplomacy wasn't an option, my stats let me have a very large party of companions who would do my dirty work for me. If I had invested my points into combat or stealth-related skills and attributes, I would have played the game very differently.

RailWizard wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 23:04:
Dev wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:36:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:28:
Borderlands isn't an RPG. It's a shooter with RPG elements
Depends who you talk to. Someone on my friends list thanked me effusively for recommending BL2. He said it was the best ever RPG he'd ever played, and went on for a while about how good the game was.

I didn't want to spoil his happiness by telling him it wasn't really an RPG. If it makes him happy, more power to him.

Technically, every game ever is an RPG.

ok, maybe not stuff like minesweeper etc...but any game where you play a role....

That definition of RPG is quite easily the most useless one ever proposed. An RPG is a game which lets you choose the role you want to play. The more roles available and the more distinct these roles are, the more of an RPG the game is.

58. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 23:19 Dev

I didn't realize this for a while, but robots have more than 1 critical spot to shoot them. Shoot the joints. You will have lots of fun. Like take out a leg  

157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo