Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the ten bestselling titles on Steam for the past week:

1. Borderlands 2
  2. Torchlight II
  3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  4. FTL: Fater ThanLight
  5. Borderlands 2 Season Pass
  6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  7. Arma II: Combined Operations
  8. F1 2012
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

View
157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

97. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 25, 2012, 02:15 xXBatmanXx

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 02:06:
You should have waited till lvl 50

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98761326

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98761286

eh, someone made a good point. At level 50, you are OP already, so why wait? This way I can share with my other characters as they level up. IE at level 25 I will do it again, level 35, etc. That way I will have a set of weapons at each big jump.....(no, I didn't add 255 gold keys - I will use my next character at 25, etc).

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 25, 2012, 01:59 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 01:52:
Waited until the level progression slowed a bit to use a gold key.
Opened it and got 2 sniper rifles. One was ok, but check this Pink out at level 12/13! Unreal....has anyone else got 2 before?

HOLY CRAP!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98895386

And a nice bonus...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98895334

Hah when you mentioned this earlier today I was confused... Didn't buy BL2, but TL2 also has gold keys you need to find for one special chest per map. It's funny my TL2 character dual wields pistols just like my short lived BL1 character.

94. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 25, 2012, 01:52 xXBatmanXx

Waited until the level progression slowed a bit to use a gold key.
Opened it and got 2 sniper rifles. One was ok, but check this Pink out at level 12/13! Unreal....has anyone else got 2 before?

HOLY CRAP!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98895386

And a nice bonus...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98895334

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

93. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 15:40 eRe4s3r

Today I just found out what they meant with "end game content"

You know Bully Mongs?

Well, there are level 51 versions of em after you reach the Blight zone .. and they are called... De-Mon'gs.... yes, Demons. Firey, burning, hell demons of doom. I was giggling Borderlands 2 has a end-game that's worthy of it's name. You won't get to the end of RVH modus easily. This is great, because I have only found 3 lvl 50 weapons yet (sadly none of them elemental +.+). I feel as if I need to go shopping for a fire immunity shield before proceeding ;p

92. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 15:13 Verno

PHJF wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 15:01:
And can we please stop saying "melee"? This is a shooter. Its main selling point is the bazillion guns. It takes a special kind of sad to go around meleeing enemies in Borderlands

No we can't stop saying it, one character is purpose built around it in most ways. No reason you can't melee in a shooter, it's actually pretty fun to zip around between targets with Execute and Many Must Fall. Don't knock it til you try it. You can also build towards doing both and there are definitely situations where each is superior.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

91. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 15:01 PHJF

- Loot drops so far have been terrifyingly underwhelming. I started off really nice, found some awesome stuff (including a purple at level 7!) The last eight levels or so, I've found exactly JACK SHIT except for one handgun which I'm solely using to kill Crystalisks. Every other weapon I'm using, I got from Moxxi's. I'm killing bosses, green drops. Killing side mission bosses, green drops. Killing badasses three levels higher than me, white drops. Open a spectacular looking chest, green shit.

Actually I'm lvl 11 now and already have ~5 blues and a purple. The shops could definitely use an upgrade (seriously, 99% whites?) but I guess that kind of reinforces the "it's more fun to find loot than buy it" principle (except good loot chests seem to be WAAAYYY rarer this time around).

And can we please stop saying "melee"? This is a shooter. Its main selling point is the bazillion guns. It takes a special kind of sad to go around meleeing enemies in Borderlands.

Anyways Biscuit released a second, far more critical perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkXob_0I9Ek&feature=plcp

Like him, I'm flying solo and not missing anything. I probably played BL1 80% solo as well.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

90. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 14:42 Verno

True. Doesn't bother me that much, makes it easy to pick them up and play. I think the reason a lot of people were saying zer0 sucked is because they had no clue how to play him.

Yeah, Zer0 is actually the most powerful character, both in terms of shooting and melee. Deception is a really nice ability, its great for escaping, positioning and damage.

89. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 24, 2012, 14:07 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 08:41:

Anyways we've all talked about whats good in BL2, now its BL2 complaint time:

- less vehicle use due to map design, I suspect this has a lot to do with console specs too.

Could be. Also, the levels are more hubbed this time around it seems. Unlike the first one where it was linear, hub, linear, hub. Here it's just hub hub hub hub and they're interlinked.

- Frequently getting hung up on pieces of the environment

Really? I haven't had a single issue with that... (except for jumping: See below.)

- "New" classes needed more unique design, 2 of them are very familiar and all of them share elements from the first game

True. Doesn't bother me that much, makes it easy to pick them up and play. I think the reason a lot of people were saying zer0 sucked is because they had no clue how to play him.

- Vendors sell worthless garbage the vast majority of the time

That's nothing new. in BL1 you hardly ever found anything either. I've picked up a few decent guns from vendors, and several nice shields.

- Comically bad story. It has funny moments and Handsome Jack being a good villain is really the thing that keeps it from being a train wreck. Their decision to shoehorn the first games story and characters in just hurt it here I think.

Jack is funny. That's all I care about.

- Time padding in mission design (getting a sidequest that takes you back to an area where you just were is a frequent occurrence)

That doesn't bother me too much, and it was the same in the first, really. There do seem to be a lot fewer maps this time around, so that's probably why...

- Uneven difficulty

That's definitely agreed. I wish games would stop forcing you into bullshit spots to trigger something, and then just spawn 30 guys around you. It's horseshit. I did a mission in the Fridge, and this boss comes out, and suddenly BAM, there's 7 fucking midgets with exploding shotguns all around me. Fun?

Did you finish it already, btw?

Here are my two big beefs with it so far:

- The worst fucking jumping mechanic ever in an Unreal engine game. It will literally take forty fucking jumps to get onto something that you KNOW you can jump on. There are caravans in Dust that you can rob, and the main van has a loot chest on top of his roof. So you're supposed to jump on his bumper, then onto the roof. AND THE FUCKING CHARACTER WILL JUST NOT GET UP ON THAT FUCKING ROOF.

Eventually the guy just drove off, assuming I'd already robbed him.

You can also spend dozens of times doing a jump to get on a rooftop somewhere, and finally succeed on the 31st jump (doing the EXACT SAME FUCKING THING YOU'VE BEEN DOING), and you can just see the engine going "Hmmm... yes, no, yes, no, yes... oh alright."

- Loot drops so far have been terrifyingly underwhelming. I started off really nice, found some awesome stuff (including a purple at level 7!) The last eight levels or so, I've found exactly JACK SHIT except for one handgun which I'm solely using to kill Crystalisks. Every other weapon I'm using, I got from Moxxi's. I'm killing bosses, green drops. Killing side mission bosses, green drops. Killing badasses three levels higher than me, white drops. Open a spectacular looking chest, green shit.

WTF Gearbox?? I'm level 22, it's about time blue shit starts dropping, don't ya think?

Creston

88. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 12:42 Jerykk

I'm not talking about what you choose to do, I'm talking about what the impact on gameplay is. If you played the exact same way you're playing as an Assassin with the Gunzerker or Commando, your gameplay wouldn't be substantially affected. That's because, despite the fact the Assassin gets numerous sniper rifle bonuses, at the end of the day they are primarily passive bonuses, and mainly come down to doing 500 damage with a hit instead of 450 (using arbitrary numbers).

The main difference in gameplay would come down to the active skill each class has, and they do help differentiate, but not as much as could be accomplished if there were more active skills.

Arbitrary indeed. The damage difference between an Assassin with a maxed out sniper tree and a Gunzerker using a sniper rifle is far more significant than what you suggest. If you're playing as a Gunzerker, you have more effective ways of dispatching enemies.

Anyway, I don't necessarily disagree that more active skills would further differentiate the classes. I just disagree that classes aren't differentiated enough with passive skills. The different roles you can play and different builds you can make aren't quite as obvious as they'd be if all the skills were active but they're still there.

87. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 10:32 Wowbagger_TIP

Bhruic wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 10:02:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 06:06:
An active skill is one that requires a button press to activate. Death Blossom requires a button press to activate (as does Deception and that melee dash move). That makes them active skills.

Sure, and a skill that requires you to be using another skill in order for it to activate is not a separate skill. We could go round and round on this all day.
Sounds like it would just be an active skill that depends upon another active skill. Still not passive.

I mostly agree with the rest. More active skills would make for more interesting characters and gameplay.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

86. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 10:20 Verno

I recall from one of the developer preview things that they didn't go with more active abilities because they thought it would confuse players and they were hitting the limits on the controls (consoles) already. I agree with Bhruic and PHJF though, the game should have more active abilities. There are a lot of passive dupes from the first game as which probably doesn't help the perception that the games skill trees are very passive heavy.

85. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 10:02 Bhruic

Jerykk wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 06:06:
An active skill is one that requires a button press to activate. Death Blossom requires a button press to activate (as does Deception and that melee dash move). That makes them active skills.

Sure, and a skill that requires you to be using another skill in order for it to activate is not a separate skill. We could go round and round on this all day.

As for the distinction between classes, this is a shooter. Ultimately, everything you do revolves around shooting and killing stuff. There are no arbitrary class restrictions on weapons, which I'm happy for. Instead, certain classes are naturally better at using certain weapons, which means that you tend to use those weapons when playing those classes. As an Assassin, I primarily use sniper rifles and melee because the skill trees (and passive skills therein) make me particularly potent with them. I also focus on weapons with high burst damage so I can maximize the amount of damage I do with crits. If I were playing a Gunzerker or Commando, I would focus more on DPS weapons and skills. If I really wanted to, I could focus on using melee and sniper rifles but I wouldn't be nearly as effective as the Assassin.

I'm not talking about what you choose to do, I'm talking about what the impact on gameplay is. If you played the exact same way you're playing as an Assassin with the Gunzerker or Commando, your gameplay wouldn't be substantially affected. That's because, despite the fact the Assassin gets numerous sniper rifle bonuses, at the end of the day they are primarily passive bonuses, and mainly come down to doing 500 damage with a hit instead of 450 (using arbitrary numbers).

The main difference in gameplay would come down to the active skill each class has, and they do help differentiate, but not as much as could be accomplished if there were more active skills.

It sounds like you just want arbitrary class restrictions on the weapons. Personally, I think that's the laziest way to make classes feel distinct.

Not at all. If you think that after reading what I wrote, you didn't understand what I'm saying at all.

84. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 08:41 RailWizard

Armengar wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 08:15:
yeah, a chariot racing simulator could actually be decent. Like a Ben Hur simulation.

Kickstarter!

Not showing your age at all, oh noo....

83. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 24, 2012, 08:41 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 03:19:
Problem is you have to put 5 points in that skill to get to the Double cannon on the Turret Tree.

Hmm? The skill trees in Borderlands 2 are cumulative. You only need X points to get the skill, they can be anywhere in that tree that you want.

Anyways we've all talked about whats good in BL2, now its BL2 complaint time:

- less vehicle use due to map design, I suspect this has a lot to do with console specs too.

- Frequently getting hung up on pieces of the environment

- "New" classes needed more unique design, 2 of them are very familiar and all of them share elements from the first game

- Vendors sell worthless garbage the vast majority of the time

- Comically bad story. It has funny moments and Handsome Jack being a good villain is really the thing that keeps it from being a train wreck. Their decision to shoehorn the first games story and characters in just hurt it here I think.

- Time padding in mission design (getting a sidequest that takes you back to an area where you just were is a frequent occurrence)

- Uneven difficulty

I've had a good time with it, sometimes playing solo, sometimes with my friends but it's definitely a game I will be glad to put down at some point. The first game was really flawed so I'm glad they've made some improvements. In many ways it feels like Borderlands 1.5 and there's nothing wrong with that I guess. I'm very very happy with the PC port this time, they did a great job with it. Anyways money well spent, although I hope they divorce themselves of the previous story/characters in the next game and get a real fresh start. If they have to retain elements then it would be nice to see more active abilities and more than 4 (5 I guess) playable classes.

82. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 08:15 Armengar

yeah, a chariot racing simulator could actually be decent. Like a Ben Hur simulation.

Kickstarter!

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

81. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 07:42 nin

Draugr wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 01:02:
People buying FTL will not be disappointed.

http://i.imgur.com/ylW2S.jpg

Love it!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

80. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 06:06 Jerykk

Bhruic wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 01:09:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:28:
Having Deception as a prerequisite doesn't make Death Blossom any less of an active skill.

It's not really a separate active skill. You can't ever use Death Blossom without using Deception. So yeah, it does make it less of an active skill overall.

I'm not really sure why people feel that passive skills are somehow less significant than active skills anyway. They still allow you to specialize your playstyle, which is the whole point of skill trees to begin with. If you're playing as an Assassin and you like sniping, there's a specific skill tree that makes you the most effective at sniping. If you prefer melee, there's a skill tree for that. If you want something in between, there's a skill tree for that too. You can't be the best at everything so the skill tree serves its purpose.

Because passive skills are just that - passive. "Increase gun damage by 4%". That doesn't actually do anything. It doesn't change the way you play. Yes, some of the passive skills reward certain types of behaviour, but they don't (tend to) give you tactical options. Or, at least, not as much as active skills do. The other thing active skills do is allow you to differentiate between the characters. The Assassin gets more passive bonuses to sniping, but beyond some extra damage, there's no significant gameplay difference between playing the Assassin as a sniper, or playing the Siren as a sniper. That's where active skills can come in, they can help differentiate between each character in ways that passive skills don't.

Right now, in order to try and make my different characer playthroughs feel "different", I'm forced to try and use different weapons for each one, which isn't necessarily productive when you weapon drops are random.

As for the distinction between classes, this is a shooter. Ultimately, everything you do revolves around shooting and killing stuff. There are no arbitrary class restrictions on weapons, which I'm happy for. Instead, certain classes are naturally better at using certain weapons, which means that you tend to use those weapons when playing those classes. As an Assassin, I primarily use sniper rifles and melee because the skill trees (and passive skills therein) make me particularly potent with them. I also focus on weapons with high burst damage so I can maximize the amount of damage I do with crits. If I were playing a Gunzerker or Commando, I would focus more on DPS weapons and skills. If I really wanted to, I could focus on using melee and sniper rifles but I wouldn't be nearly as effective as the Assassin.

It sounds like you just want arbitrary class restrictions on the weapons. Personally, I think that's the laziest way to make classes feel distinct.

79. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 24, 2012, 05:46 SpectralMeat

Draugr wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 01:02:
People buying FTL will not be disappointed.

http://i.imgur.com/ylW2S.jpg

ROFL !
I am sold on that game

Steam: SpectralMeat

78. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 24, 2012, 04:25 Kajetan

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 13:32:
UConnBBall wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 12:47:
FTL is the perfect little indie strategy game. Do yourself a favor and pick it up ASAP!!!

How do you rate it vs Dungeons of Dredmor?
Dredmor is more play, less frustration until you hit rockbottom. FTL on the other hand is an exercise in trying to NOT chew you desk/mouse cable/keyboard while just trying to reach sector 2.

157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo