Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the ten bestselling titles on Steam for the past week:

1. Borderlands 2
  2. Torchlight II
  3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  4. FTL: Fater ThanLight
  5. Borderlands 2 Season Pass
  6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  7. Arma II: Combined Operations
  8. F1 2012
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

View
157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

57. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 23:04 RailWizard

Dev wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:36:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:28:
Borderlands isn't an RPG. It's a shooter with RPG elements
Depends who you talk to. Someone on my friends list thanked me effusively for recommending BL2. He said it was the best ever RPG he'd ever played, and went on for a while about how good the game was.

I didn't want to spoil his happiness by telling him it wasn't really an RPG. If it makes him happy, more power to him.

Technically, every game ever is an RPG.

ok, maybe not stuff like minesweeper etc...but any game where you play a role....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 22:54 jimnms

I played BL1 exclusively coop with two friends from start to finish. We explored every inch of each map, and did every side quest.

I've been playing BL2 solo since release. I was worried I wouldn't like it solo because I thought the coop was what really made the first one enjoyable, but I'm having a blast in BL2 solo. I played a hunter in BL1, so in BL2 I decided to go with the assassin. At first I didn't like him, but I think it makes a great solo characters to play. His hologram/invisibility skill comes in handy when you get in trouble and need to retreat to get your shields up or heal. His skill's and ability doesn't seem to have much to contribute to coop though, other than one skill that gives you bonus damage to an enemy attacking another player.

One of my BL1 friends did get it and we started playing a new game tonight. His connection is crap at his new place, but it seemed to play fine. I chose the siren for our coop game, and I think it too would make a good solo character as well. Her ability and several skills also come in handy for coop as well as solo. One of the first ones you can get is health from killing a phaselocked enemy.

My friend is playing as the soldier and the turret gun is much nicer than the one in BL1. It seems to stay out longer and do better at targeting and killing. I believe he can unlock some skills that upgrade the turret to do ammo/health regen while deployed which cane come in handy for coop and solo.

I was lucky to find a class mod that gives a small health regen for my assassin. I've had my shields knocked out and health down near death several times, and dropping my hologram I was able to get to cover, let my shields recharge and get back in the battle.

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 17:07:
Yeah I guess that mission really depends on your weapons and combos, I guess my weapon combos so far just plain suck! I've had 2 shotguns and a sniper. Do not have anything that does corrosive so I went with explosive shotguns since the robots are immune to fire.

By the time I finish off those robots the builder shits out there's a whole new army of them built up again, I never get a chance to even start shooting the constructor robot. The reloads on the shotguns also suck rocks. They do a lot of damage but take forever to reload, and with all those flying repair drones and the suicide robots that mission is a bit overwhelming for me.

Like I said I guess I just haven't figured out the right weapon combos yet to nail those dang robots.

I just did that mission today, I didn't find it that hard. I'm carrying three sniper rifles, one that does fire, one that does electrical and a regular one. The regular sniper rifle has higher damage than the elemental ones and seemed to work best against the robots. I knew from preview videos that the robots were weak to corrosive, but I figured shock would work as well, but the regular (non elemental) sniper rifle worked the best against them. I can one-shot kill most of the robots by hitting the red eye.

When I got to the constructor robot, I just shot it's eye for crits, ignoring the robots it spawns until it spawns the suicidal ones. Then I dispatched those and continued to pop that weak spot. I had to stop and deal with the little robots three times before I was able to knock out the big boss one.

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 14:23:
I found the assault rifles to be somewhat disappointing, as well. It's cool that they made a bunch of unique types and all, but there are no GOOD, REGULAR assault rifles that I have seen. Only Torgues that shoot rockets or lob grenades, or semi-auto Jakobs's, mini-gun-like Vladofs or Bandits that are slow to spin up and/or shoot 3 bullets at once while being horribly inaccurate... I guess they wanted to really differentiate them from SMGs, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

Assault rifles sucked in the first BL. As I said earlier, I played a hunter in BL1, and I used sniper rifles, SMG's and shotguns. As an assassin in BL2 I'm using sniper rifles, pistols and shotguns this time. I haven't found a decent SMG yet. I have a pistol I found somewhere around level 8 that I'm still using at level 15. I accidentally used one of my damn golden keys at level 10 to open the chest in New Haven. I stopped playing when I got there, and when I spawned I saw the chest and just by habit ran over and opened it not realizing it was the one that took the key. I wish they'd have given you a prompt to confirm you want to open it because I got a couple of crap pistols. One had explosive damage and the other fire damage. They both have the same base damage, but the fire pistol's accuracy was crap. The explosive pistols bullets are so slow it's only good at medium to close range. The level 8 pistol I got I think was a random drop and didn't realize I picked it up until I was selling crap. I decided to give it a try before selling it and I'm glad I did. It does electrical elemental damage, and it's accurate, has a scope, high fire rate and decent size magazine. Even though it's a little over half the base damage of the ones from the golden chest, it seems to be more effective.

So far as the siren in coop I've used sniper rifles, assault rifles and pistols. Again, every SMG I've come across is crap. I didn't plan on using assault rifles, I just happened to find one that did decent damage with a good accuracy, fire rate and large magazine.

Steam Profile

55. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 22:48 PHJF

I'm not really sure why people feel that passive skills are somehow less significant than active skills anyway.

Because they are. Having an ability which affects the way a game is played is not remotely comparable to having something which changes a one to a two in a .sav file.

The only people who give a fuck about shit like that are min/maxers.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 22:36 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:28:
Borderlands isn't an RPG. It's a shooter with RPG elements
Depends who you talk to. Someone on my friends list thanked me effusively for recommending BL2. He said it was the best ever RPG he'd ever played, and went on for a while about how good the game was.

I didn't want to spoil his happiness by telling him it wasn't really an RPG. If it makes him happy, more power to him.

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 22:28 Jerykk

Bhruic wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 21:27:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 20:29:
Also, the Assassin has more than one active skill.

I just finished a session playing as him, I don't remember having more than one active skill. You can modify what effect your active skill has, but I wouldn't consider that the same as having multiple actual skills.

edit: I assume you are referring to Death Blossom? I guess that could be considered a second active skill, but it's not a separate skill. That is, you have to activate Deception to use it. It's still not the same as having an actual skill tree, ala Torchlight 2 (to name a recent example).

Having Deception as a prerequisite doesn't make Death Blossom any less of an active skill. There's also that melee dash attack that he has.

I'm not really sure why people feel that passive skills are somehow less significant than active skills anyway. They still allow you to specialize your playstyle, which is the whole point of skill trees to begin with. If you're playing as an Assassin and you like sniping, there's a specific skill tree that makes you the most effective at sniping. If you prefer melee, there's a skill tree for that. If you want something in between, there's a skill tree for that too. You can't be the best at everything so the skill tree serves its purpose.

PHJF wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:19:
Yeah, I generally agree with his comments, but on this particular video, I felt pretty much the opposite.

How is he wrong? He complains about how there's a skill that adds 5% to gun damage, one that adds +1 to grenade count. This is the fucking definition of boring, uninspired "character development". If they are going to call the game an RPG (which they did, remember this is supposed to be the lovechild of the FPS and the RPG, in their own words) then they should be able to come up with something better than that.

Still, Borderlands was the same shit and it still managed to thoroughly entertain. Just wish Gearbox would have the sense or willingness to take things further. The whole FPS Diablo thing is like my holy gaming grail.

Borderlands isn't an RPG. It's a shooter with RPG elements, just like Diablo is an action game with RPG elements. If they decided to turn Borderlands into a real RPG that offers equally viable stealth, combat and diplomacy paths, branching storylines and ambiguous moral choices, that would be a very different game. Not a bad game by any means but not really what people want out of a Borderlands game.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2012, 22:33.

52. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 23, 2012, 22:27 Dev

PHJF wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 22:19:
one that adds +1 to grenade count.
I agree that that skill is useless, especially since you can just buy it with eridium.
But, the solution is simple, just dont put skill points into that skill. There's enough other places to put it into that tree you dont have to put a single point into the grenade skill.

51. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 23, 2012, 22:24 nin

Yep that's the one

Finally made it there, but didn't get very far...just the whirlpool. Wish there was a way to save midmission, as I get to clear all that out again tomorrow, when I have more time...

From what I'm hearing, it doesn't need saved.

Seriously. I've not heard a bad thing about TL2.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

50. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 23, 2012, 22:19 PHJF

Yeah, I generally agree with his comments, but on this particular video, I felt pretty much the opposite.

How is he wrong? He complains about how there's a skill that adds 5% to gun damage, one that adds +1 to grenade count. This is the fucking definition of boring, uninspired "character development". If they are going to call the game an RPG (which they did, remember this is supposed to be the lovechild of the FPS and the RPG, in their own words) then they should be able to come up with something better than that.

Still, Borderlands was the same shit and it still managed to thoroughly entertain. Just wish Gearbox would have the sense or willingness to take things further. The whole FPS Diablo thing is like my holy gaming grail.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

49. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 23, 2012, 21:45 HorrorScope

Axis wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 19:40:
Maybe a killer mod will fly in and save it, time will tell.

From what I'm hearing, it doesn't need saved.

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 21:41 nin

It's one of the few times I disagree with TB.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 21:37 jacobvandy

I just started a Siren, and glancing through the skill trees I saw at the bottom of one was an ability that adds a completely new function bound to your melee attack, with a cooldown and everything. THAT would be having more than one active skill. So it's certainly possible.  

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 21:27 Bhruic

Also, the Assassin has more than one active skill.

I just finished a session playing as him, I don't remember having more than one active skill. You can modify what effect your active skill has, but I wouldn't consider that the same as having multiple actual skills.

edit: I assume you are referring to Death Blossom? I guess that could be considered a second active skill, but it's not a separate skill. That is, you have to activate Deception to use it. It's still not the same as having an actual skill tree, ala Torchlight 2 (to name a recent example).

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2012, 21:33.

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 21:06 PropheT

PHJF wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 19:39:
All right, TotalBiscuit confirmed my fears for BL2. One boring skill per class and pointless passive bonuses. But even after all that I still played the hell out of BL, so $43 seems fine...

If you liked BL1, I can't see you disliking 2. I'm kind of blown away by how much better it is, actually.

Story? Yep, it's fun and kind of cool in 2, I hated it in 1.

Guns? They're not a lot different, elemental effects are more important though so experimenting is more prevalent here.

Abilities? They're about the same, but better implemented in 2. There aren't active abilities to juggle, but at higher levels you can spec to change up what they do if you want (with the Siren at least, I haven't played the others yet but assume it's similar). They are more useful than I remember in 1.

Driving? It's better. It still isn't perfect, but it's definitely better. I almost wish there was more of it.

BL2 is longer than BL1, too. A lot longer, if you do the sidequests. The side quests are more interesting, too, although some are still a lot of running around in circles.

I was kind of meh on BL1. It was buggy and I just didn't enjoy it a lot, but something about this one has just clicked with me. I'm really surprised by it, it's way more fun than I expected. Definitely pick it up if you liked the first one. Just my opinion of course, but this is what I wanted when I bought the first game.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 21:03 Dev

RailWizard wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 19:01:
Dev wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 18:41:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 17:29:
BL2 is good, I wouldn't say it's worth $60 though.
Good thing I only paid $36 for the pre-order then.

That is a much better price yes. Sadly you had to pre-order though, and I was not at all impressed by any of the pre-hype vids before launch. There was plenty of room for them to screw the game up but as it turned out, it is a worthy sequel, but pre-order price point is gone as well as the perks.
I believe you can still get it for near $40, since there's a new GMG coupon sale.
The perks, well thats what you get for waiting
Really though, they aren't that many, and I'm sure they will sell the new class as a DLC when they release it.
You can get one of those gold keys from shift account.
The gold guns for start are really only good for a couple levels, you can loot better pretty quick.
The extra skin/heads, there's plenty more to choose from in game.
The only thing you'd be missing is the vault loot relic which gives you +5% rare drop chance, and you can get far more than that if you play co-op.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 20:58 DarkCntry

All right, TotalBiscuit confirmed my fears for BL2. One boring skill per class and pointless passive bonuses. But even after all that I still played the hell out of BL, so $43 seems fine...

"Pointless" passive bonuses..? I don't know about the other classes but the Assassin's passive bonuses are anything but pointless. They make a huge difference. Also, the Assassin has more than one active skill.

It's one of the few times I disagree with TB. Although I do see the point, he wants more active bonuses that have meat to them.

For example, 90% of the Commando's passives are, at worst, really too good. Get a high-chance elemental weapon and those passives that heal you on damage, increase weapon damage, etc and you're going to faceroll the entire game with the DoTs.

For example, there's a boss character during the latter story missions that will annoy the hell out of you, but if you've got DoTs and your turret leveled, you'll find that fight a whole lot easier.

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 20:29 Jerykk

"Pointless" passive bonuses..? I don't know about the other classes but the Assassin's passive bonuses are anything but pointless. They make a huge difference. Also, the Assassin has more than one active skill.

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 20:26 Axis

RailWizard wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 20:24:
Seems funny because WoW stole like 90% of it's systems from DAoC and EQ.

Back when making safe bets were all the rage. Nowadays it pays the bills but stifles innovation and garners much 'meh'. Enter the age of indies...

Yours truly,

Axis

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 20:24 RailWizard

Seems funny because WoW stole like 90% of it's systems from DAoC and EQ.  

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 20:22 Axis

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 19:59:
Oh cmon teabagger, having an endgame "endless random dungeon" has been done in a billion games -- that's nothing new.

Having a MAP system like PoE created has not been done in an arpg. TL2's map system copied only the basics from PoE, but it's still a blatent ripoff.

Regardless, TL2's map system doesn't make me want to play any more than I have. Decent romp for $20, no longevity. Maybe a killer mod will fly in and save it, time will tell.

Torchlight DID have MAPS that take you TO random dungeons in ADDITION to the 'endless' Shadow Vault. THE only thing they CHANGED with TL2 was to save them UNTIL after you've BEATEN the game the first TIME.

I realize that, they were just basic "level X" that took you to a random pool of maps with scaled levels. But introducing endgame maps with modifiers was PoE's idea. They also introduced the concepts of crafting and modifying them, and are a corepart of the endgame loot system - you can only get higher end loot and levels via the map system. TL2's copy only took the basic modifiers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see people modding it more like POE, there's already been several threads suggesting as much in TL2s forums.

I'm fine with game companies copying ideas that work and make the game more fun, more power to them it only benefits us.

Yours truly,

Axis

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 20:13 Wowbagger_TIP

Oh cmon teabagger, having an endgame "endless random dungeon" has been done in a billion games -- that's nothing new.
grow up

Having a MAP system like PoE created has not been done in an arpg. TL2's map system copied only the basics from PoE, but it's still a blatent ripoff.

Regardless, TL2's map system doesn't make me want to play any more than I have. Decent romp for $20, no longevity. Maybe a killer mod will fly in and save it, time will tell.
I believe I said that PoE improved on the idea a LOT (and you'll notice my emphasis there in my post as well). I don't see how TL2 is really a ripoff of PoE though. They did map scrolls in the first game. They're doing them in the second too.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo