Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the ten bestselling titles on Steam for the past week:

1. Borderlands 2
  2. Torchlight II
  3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  4. FTL: Fater ThanLight
  5. Borderlands 2 Season Pass
  6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  7. Arma II: Combined Operations
  8. F1 2012
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

View
157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

137. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 17:09 Bhruic

Well, finished my first playthrough as Assassin, unlocked the harder difficulty level. Man do I hate the boss fights in this game. I'm not sure why they thought "massive hps and the ability to either 1 or 2 shot you" is a fun game mechanic, but it really isn't. Luckily there tends to be semi-exploitive spots you can stand that'll minimize the damage you take, so you can get through them.

Now I'm wondering if I want to play more with the same char, or advance some of the others (I got all 4 chars as far as Sanctuary just so I could swap them their appropriate skill mods, so I didn't sell any that turn out to be good)? So far the Assassin and Gunzerker seem to have the weakest active skills - although I suspect the Gunzerker gets better as you go. I almost never used the Assassin one just because it's extremely situational - or so it seemed to me.

Oh, and Creston - unless you end up getting bad luck, you really don't have to worry about finding good quality stuff, by the end, I'd found at least a few dozen purples, and somewhere around 10 oranges. You go through tonnes of crap stuff, true, but the better gear is definitely dropping well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

136. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 16:11 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 15:16:
Well either way I am nowhere near having that much money. I actually ran out of money in that robot mission last night trying to buy ammo. I did actually get a really nice blue sniper rifle from the slot machine but it eats through ammo like there's no tomorrow. When zoomed in it shoots 3 bullets in burst.

So anyways I have to watch out for the money spending and open all those boxes laying around instead of just buying ammo. I was just in the hurry last night so decided to buy ammo instead of look for it, but even if I don't spend any $ on ammo I just do not have that much money incoming yet. Still only level 15 so I assume the bigger $ will come later on.

Yeah, my Siren is 24. Higher level = better weapons = better money. My Siren typically has over 100K after a series of missions. I then spend 50K gambling and keep 50K for if I see something cool in the vending machines (shields mostly.)

Btw, the gambling eventually loses its effectiveness. Once you're past level 20 or so, don't expect to really upgrade through it anymore. I guess theoretically a Triple Marcus could score you something really awesome, but I'm beginning to doubt that it can ever even fall. I've spent at least 200K on the slot machines, and I have never even seen a Marcus fall on row 3. (other than when you start.) I've gotten the first two often enough, but I've never seen a Marcus head on the third row, even with two others in front of it. Similarly, I've never seen a Triple Vault Symbol either.

I guess those, IF they fell, would pay out something awesome. The rest is kinda meh now. I really only play for the Eridian anymore.

Creston

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2012, 01:41.

135. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 15:30 nin

I did actually get a really nice blue sniper rifle from the slot machine but it eats through ammo like there's no tomorrow. When zoomed in it shoots 3 bullets in burst.

I got one of those - love it!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

134. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 15:16 SpectralMeat

Well either way I am nowhere near having that much money. I actually ran out of money in that robot mission last night trying to buy ammo. I did actually get a really nice blue sniper rifle from the slot machine but it eats through ammo like there's no tomorrow. When zoomed in it shoots 3 bullets in burst.

So anyways I have to watch out for the money spending and open all those boxes laying around instead of just buying ammo. I was just in the hurry last night so decided to buy ammo instead of look for it, but even if I don't spend any $ on ammo I just do not have that much money incoming yet. Still only level 15 so I assume the bigger $ will come later on.

Steam: SpectralMeat

133. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 15:05 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 15:00:
So I guess that tipping game is later on when you are closer to lvl50 because I seem to have no more then about $1,000 on me all the time thanks to those dang slot machines!

Well, you can spend 10 grand on the slot machines, and run the chance of getting nothing, or you can spend 10 grand on moxxi and get a kick-ass SMG.

Both times I've gotten it I've spent around 10 grand. The second time I did it in stages, and to be honest I have no idea if that even works. (as in, I'd give her 1000 bucks, then go do some missions, and tip her another 1000 when I got back.)

It's probably 50-50 whether it's number of tips given versus amount given. I'd just recommend doing it through 100 bills, in case it's just amount tipped.

Creston

132. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 15:00 SpectralMeat

So I guess that tipping game is later on when you are closer to lvl50 because I seem to have no more then about $1,000 on me all the time thanks to those dang slot machines!  

131. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 14:56 Creston

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 12:06:
In this case it's Caustic Caverns, and there doesn't seem to be any cover that he can't get to me through. I did upgrade my weapons since the last attempt, so I may have a little more of a chance this time.

Caustic Caverns... I've completely mapped that, and never ran into a battle that seemed that insane. Is that the same cave where Blue, the blue Crystalisk appears?

I remember some Thresher battles, but they all went pretty smoothly. I think at that point I'd gotten Moxxi's super absurd Acid SMG already, though, so that may be a try. Go to Moxxi and start tipping her tons of $100s. Stop when she starts talking, then continue tipping when she stops.

Eventually she'll say something to the effect of "let me reward you for your generosity." and she'll hand out either an Acid SMG or a Fire SMG, both of which are pretty damn awesome.

If you don't get the acid one, just try again, as she apparently only ever gives those two weapons. Btw, ranges for tips seem to vary from 10,000 to 40,000 (most of what I've heard), with other people saying it's just the number of times you tip her.

Creston

130. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 14:24 Bhruic

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 12:06:
In this case it's Caustic Caverns, and there doesn't seem to be any cover that he can't get to me through. I did upgrade my weapons since the last attempt, so I may have a little more of a chance this time.

I actually lucked out on that one, first attempt I was running away when the game crashed (my only crash so far). Restarted the game, and the Badass Pyre Thresher never reappeared.

129. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 12:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Bhruic wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 01:39:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 01:24:
That mission was a real pain as Zero, until I got my hands on a good rocket launcher. The one that's got me blocked right now is the damn Badass Pyre Thresher. That thing is just an insane beast and I can't even begin to do enough damage before he pummels me into paste. Plus he doesn't seem to have any elemental weakness.

Hard to give advice without knowing which Badass Pyre Thresher it is, but yeah, they are, well, fucking insane. I think I've had more deaths to them than everything else in the game combined.

The best "tips" I can give is they are much easier to defeat from a distance with a sniper rifle if you have something you can hide behind, and they aren't chasing you. You just have to dodge the shards they throw your way inbetween shots.

Alternately, you can actually do some considerable damage with a shotgun up close, and revive yourself by shooting the tentacles. The downside there is you die really fast, and your revive timer goes faster and faster each time you do, so you have to be able to dish out a lot of damage insanely fast (hence the shotgun being almost a necessity).

Best option is to kill it with a vehicle, as long as you don't get too close, you can usually outrun it. But a couple of them definitely aren't in areas that you can get a vehicle to.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

128. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 10:50 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 05:44:
Sounds like fun times

Yeah, the bosses have gotten a bit TOO insane, if you ask me.

Creston

127. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 05:44 SpectralMeat

Sounds like fun times  

126. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 01:39 Bhruic

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 01:24:
That mission was a real pain as Zero, until I got my hands on a good rocket launcher. The one that's got me blocked right now is the damn Badass Pyre Thresher. That thing is just an insane beast and I can't even begin to do enough damage before he pummels me into paste. Plus he doesn't seem to have any elemental weakness.

Hard to give advice without knowing which Badass Pyre Thresher it is, but yeah, they are, well, fucking insane. I think I've had more deaths to them than everything else in the game combined.

The best "tips" I can give is they are much easier to defeat from a distance with a sniper rifle if you have something you can hide behind, and they aren't chasing you. You just have to dodge the shards they throw your way inbetween shots.

Alternately, you can actually do some considerable damage with a shotgun up close, and revive yourself by shooting the tentacles. The downside there is you die really fast, and your revive timer goes faster and faster each time you do, so you have to be able to dish out a lot of damage insanely fast (hence the shotgun being almost a necessity).

Best option is to kill it with a vehicle, as long as you don't get too close, you can usually outrun it. But a couple of them definitely aren't in areas that you can get a vehicle to.

125. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 01:24 Wowbagger_TIP

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 21:14:
Made it pass that dang robot mission in solo!
Took out some badass robots and they've dropped a sniper rifle that does electric damage. Found a good spot where the robots had a hard time to get to me and I was just sniping the shit out of the "eye" of the construction robot. Took a full clip but it went down.

Can't believe what a difference a single weapon can make to a mission.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

124. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 26, 2012, 21:46 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 21:14:
Took out some badass robots and they've dropped a sniper rifle that does electric damage. Found a good spot where the robots had a hard time to get to me and I was just sniping the shit out of the "eye" of the construction robot. Took a full clip but it went down.

Congrats!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

123. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 26, 2012, 21:14 SpectralMeat

122. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 26, 2012, 14:43 eRe4s3r

By the way, look what I found for Siren head Skin ;p (You can find it in Eridium Blight way at the top - left of the map, there is a guy called a "Gear-Head" kill him, and he drops a metal-head (He was level 51!) (It involves a lot of jumping over changing lava obstacles which insta kill, so be prepared ;p)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99189112

Also if you are looking for someone to play with, I would be there, just add me ;p No idea when I am around to play though, but i am not ninja looter, I will share loot, and I am not going to rush unless we are going for a specific quest or something. Reason I ask is because I have 3 chars at level 6, and it's kinda boring to play alone all that again...

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2012, 14:58.

121. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 26, 2012, 14:33 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 13:35:
edit 2: BTW, has anyone found a way to replay ECHO recordings? I've been finding the ones for character backstories, but I keep end up having someone else interrupt the recording, so that I don't get to listen to them. Very annoying, as I like to pay attention to the story elements.

I don't think there is one, no. And I agree, it's REALLLLLLY irritating. You could replay them in BL1, so why they took that out, who frakking knows.

I've finally started a new solo character just so I can replay all those ECHOs I missed because someone I'm playing with doesn't seem to comprehend that YOU SHOULDN'T PICK UP ANOTHER ECHO WHILE ONE IS ALREADY FUCKING PLAYING.

Btw, hooooly shit. Goliaths have a fun little side-effect, where if you critical them, they turn into Raging Goliaths, right? And if you crit them while they're in the middle of their own peeps, they turn on their peeps.

Yep, which is fun. What's not so fun is that killing their own peeps MAKES THEM STRONGER!

I had a level 9 Goon Goliath who turned into a Raging Goon Goliath, into a level 10 Raging Goon Goliath, into a Badass Raging Goon Goliath, into a Super Badass Raging Goon Goliath, and then into a level 11 Super Badass Raging Goon Goliath. And all the time I'm TRYING to kill him, but he just shrugs off everything while he keeps murdering his own bandit buddies. Fucking hell...

I was level 10 at the time, so yeah, that battle took quite a damn while. Thank God for my purple assault rifle...

Moral of the story: Kill them. FAST. (though on the flipside, he did give me 3600 XP when I finally murdered him.)

Creston

120. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 26, 2012, 14:28 eRe4s3r

Have not found a way to play them...

Sadly I feel the fonts for the weapon info is sucky in more ways than 1 - everything is way too large.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2012, 14:38.

119. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 26, 2012, 13:35 Bhruic

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 03:18:
As for where it says 4 ammo.. nowhere! ;p I would call that a bug..

It's a fucking UI problem. Lots of guns end up having way more modifiers than they can fit into the little box for them. So you just don't see them. Same goes for grenades, shields, etc. In fact, I think almost everything I'm using right now has more modifiers than can be displayed. It's really annoying, because now I'm not sure about selling some stuff, as it might have other properties that I can't see.

edit: Oh, and one nice thing (well, sort of) to look forward to in weapon variety is some really whacky shit. My current sniper rifle makes a habit of insulting me whenever I shoot someone or reload. It's rather amusing, although it's starting to get a bit tiresome (the number of insults is a bit limited).

edit 2: BTW, has anyone found a way to replay ECHO recordings? I've been finding the ones for character backstories, but I keep end up having someone else interrupt the recording, so that I don't get to listen to them. Very annoying, as I like to pay attention to the story elements.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2012, 13:44.

118. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 26, 2012, 13:24 eRe4s3r

That's just the thing, I haven't got a clue what they are doing in this game. I have not found any beyond that one, and I don't think that one is a "real" weapon to begin with.

Maybe they just don't exist and it's a red herring ;p Maybe it's something that only really drops in playthrough 2.5 (when everything is 50+) who knows... mystery.

One thing is for sure, that weapon from that quest has no indication that it's any different from normal weapons. So maybe this is just another parts modifier and not a real unique weapon type you can find.... I am actually kinda confused about this.

157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo