Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the ten bestselling titles on Steam for the past week:

1. Borderlands 2
  2. Torchlight II
  3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  4. FTL: Fater ThanLight
  5. Borderlands 2 Season Pass
  6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  7. Arma II: Combined Operations
  8. F1 2012
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

View
157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

157. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 8, 2012, 07:21 nin

Sepharo wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 01:11:
nin wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 21:49:
Take with a huge amount of salt, but here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUfe67noLcY

Wow that looks/sounds great.

Wait'll you see the reviews...I'm rather stunned how well it's being received.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

156. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 8, 2012, 01:11 Sepharo

nin wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 21:49:

Wow that looks/sounds great.

155. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 23:32 Beamer

Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 10:54:
As for snipers, I agree. They've become so powerful (or rather, you get them with fire damage and big beefy numbers so early) that it's almost impossible not to use them. Both my siren and Zero kill 80-90% of all things with a sniper rifle.

Funny, I avoid elemental snipers. For the past 3 levels I can find elemental snipers around 75-115 damage, with 15% chance to do elemental. But I can find 175-225 regular, with burst mode. Given how steady Zer0 fires, I can pretty much always get at least 2 in the body and 1 in the head, adding up to about 1000-1500 damage, killing almost anything in 1 or 2 attack.

Except those mutant bugs. Man, even though I was level 15 and that mission was level 15 I lost about 7 grand being regenerated with those things. I took 2 out with the amazing rocket launcher I bought, and managed to lead 2 more back into raider camps to let them weaken it (and vice versa.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

154. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 21:49 nin

153. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 21:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 13:32:
Btw, I found that Badass Pyre Thresher that someone was talking about a few days ago. (he never showed up the first time I started that mission in the Caustic Caverns) I agree, he is fucking ridiculous. 2 hits and I'm dead.

I was finally able to get rid of him by running away until I came across a Crystalisk. The Thresher and the Crystalisk will start fighting each other, and because the Crystalisk is immune to all damage except to its legs, the Thresher can't do shit against him. So stand some distance away, and just unload until he's dead.

But yeah, Gearbox went WAAAAAY overboard with boss difficulties, imo. The mission is listed for level 21. I'm level 24, and it's 2 hit dead. So at level 21, I imagine you die just from watching him spawn??

Creston

Lol.. yeah, that was me that was talking about it earlier. Thanks for the info. I think I'll have to give that method a try. I've been on vacation and haven't played for a while. I think the break was good for me in that I may now have the patience to go back to that area.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

152. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2012, 13:32 Creston

Btw, I found that Badass Pyre Thresher that someone was talking about a few days ago. (he never showed up the first time I started that mission in the Caustic Caverns) I agree, he is fucking ridiculous. 2 hits and I'm dead.

I was finally able to get rid of him by running away until I came across a Crystalisk. The Thresher and the Crystalisk will start fighting each other, and because the Crystalisk is immune to all damage except to its legs, the Thresher can't do shit against him. So stand some distance away, and just unload until he's dead.

But yeah, Gearbox went WAAAAAY overboard with boss difficulties, imo. The mission is listed for level 21. I'm level 24, and it's 2 hit dead. So at level 21, I imagine you die just from watching him spawn??

Creston

151. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2012, 21:49 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 23:59:
Long story short: If Wilhelm is giving you trouble, give Moxxi a lot of tips. That SMG just fucking MURDERS him.

Is it still a randomized gun, I wonder, or a static drop? And if I have the 10K now, should I give it now, or does the weapon scale to my level, meaning I shouldn't give the money until immediately before that fight (or as high level as I can get).

SMGs are the shit no matter what. I find myself reverting to my BL1 playstyle of carrying all SMGs of diff types. Fire, Acid, Electric, and a shotty. SMGs fire so fast you can take down anything like a hot knife through butta....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

150. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2012, 01:13 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 01:07:
Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 23:39:
Well, I just faced Wilhelm solo for the first time. Have to say I was kinda dreading it, as me and my buddy barely beat him after about a 30 frakking minute fight.

This must be a multiplayer thing. I've fought him 3 times now, and he's never caused me any trouble at all. First time he went down even faster than yours, next 2 were quite a bit slower, but still not even remotely challenging. This isn't a brag, there are quite a few fights that have kicked my ass repeatedly, but I'm not sure why people have been saying this fight is so hard. So did they just mega-ramp up the difficulty for multiplayer?

Well, the biggest issue is that he just has vastly more HPs and shields, as do his minions. So just the mere act of taking his shields down will take two people around 30 seconds or so to do (or waste like 8 of their 12 electricity rockets), and by that time he's long since put more repair robots up.

I think it's the added HP and shields more than anything. I'd really hate to face him with 4 people.

Creston

149. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2012, 01:07 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 23:39:
Well, I just faced Wilhelm solo for the first time. Have to say I was kinda dreading it, as me and my buddy barely beat him after about a 30 frakking minute fight.

This must be a multiplayer thing. I've fought him 3 times now, and he's never caused me any trouble at all. First time he went down even faster than yours, next 2 were quite a bit slower, but still not even remotely challenging. This isn't a brag, there are quite a few fights that have kicked my ass repeatedly, but I'm not sure why people have been saying this fight is so hard. So did they just mega-ramp up the difficulty for multiplayer?

148. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2012, 00:09 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 23:59:
Long story short: If Wilhelm is giving you trouble, give Moxxi a lot of tips. That SMG just fucking MURDERS him.

Is it still a randomized gun, I wonder, or a static drop? And if I have the 10K now, should I give it now, or does the weapon scale to my level, meaning I shouldn't give the money until immediately before that fight (or as high level as I can get).

Moxxi only ever gives you two guns. An Acid SMG or a Fire SMG. I guess if you're unlucky, you'll get the fire one. Just exit the game without saving and reload and try again.

It IS set to your level, so the longer you wait, the higher its stats will be, but to be honest, the difference between my level 15 one and level 18 one is fairly minimal. (it's a few points of damage, and a pip here and there.)

If you require help with him, though, just holla. My level 24 siren has that SMG and will quite frankly tear him to shit.

Creston

147. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2012, 23:59 nin

146. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2012, 23:39 Creston

So I was all set: Electricity rocket launcher to wipe out Wilhelm's shields. Acid SMG (Moxxi's) and Pistol (Tiny Tina's) to deal with Loaders and Wilhelm's armor. Explosive damage Assault Rifle to take out constructors. Additional explosive damage shotgun to deal with constructors and loaders if and when my other ammo runs out.

My shield is a mega range, mega damage Acid Nova. Should help when he inevitably takes my shields out.

Right, here we go. So Wilhelm shows up, and I'm looking around for the constructors. I'll deal with the big fucker later. Except... holy shit, he spawns WITHOUT SHIELDS???

Acid SMG brakka brakka brakka. His armor is being eaten alive by the acid. He spawns a single repair droid, which I quickly obliterate with my SMG, and I keep the pressure on him, just continuously dousing him in acid.

After he gets down to about 30% health, he runs away. In the corner of the map, he creates another repair droid which begins to try to repair him. In the meantime, as I'm approaching him, I'm firing clip after clip of acid SMG into him, and I'm damaging him faster than the droid can fix him.

Approximately 30 seconds after the battle started, he dies like a little bitch. He never damaged me. Other than two repair droids, no other robots ever spawned in the battle.

Creston

145. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2012, 20:16 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 10:10:
The Assassin requires play style adjustment compared to the other classes. It's almost better for people to just go into the sniping tree until like level 16 or whenever you can unlock Execute in the Bloodshed tree. Deception is both an offensive and defensive ability, use it to position yourself and strategically take out targets by order of importance. The longer you wait to use your ability the more damage it does. Execute lets you dash and hit them which is invaluable, not to mention adding a hefty modifier to the damage totals. Zer0 is probably the most unique character design in the game, the other three classes are heavily derivative which is frustrating to be honest. You shouldn't be doing everything in melee though, I run around with a shotgun between targets and use Deception often. If you're up against bots or something then you just snipe, its way safer.

It depends on how you play the class. I play him as a sniper, so the skill is mostly useless. When I'm at range, I'm almost never in danger, so at best the skill can give me a bit of extra damage from a single shot. Usually not worth it. The only time it's useful is when I'm getting closed on, but then most of the enemies in the game that close on you do it quickly. The 5 seconds of "get away" time you get tend to be eaten through quickly. The best use of the skill I've got is with the shield guys, as it allows me to flank around and get a headshot off. But that's quite situational.

The Gunzerker is just a weird class. He's supposed to be tanky but shit is so lethal in the game that he dies easily. I have probably gained like 20k exp from rezzing my friend who plays one, he dies so often hes started apologizing for it. The Commando in the Survival tree is infinitely beefier which is odd. I've been playing a Commando alt on and off, its super boring but once the turret gets rockets its at least damaging. You basically drop your turret and go hide or snipe.

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of the way they've handled the damage in the game. Too many things have the ability to do massive spike damage which means you can't really ever truly tank. But yeah, the Gunzerker seems like a class I'd probably only want to play with a friend, doesn't seem solo friendly. The Commando seems much more so, even if some people find him boring (I actually enjoy having the turret deal damage, but I tend to like "pet" classes in RPGs, so that's not a huge surprise).

BTW, the difficulty of the second playthrough is pretty intense. I remember doing it in the first Borderlands, and not having much challenge, but it definitely can be here. Which is fun, as I wasn't looking for a cakewalk. I'm definitely not looking forward to some of the boss fights tho' (I just made it to Sanctuary).

144. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2012, 10:54 Creston

Beamer wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 10:29:
Started a Gunzerker yesterday - correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to keep slamming the fire button for non-automatic weapons? I had a revolver in one hand and a machine gun in the other and was pretty sure that's how it worked. Having to mix automatic and semi-automatic is not fun.

Plus, I love sniping (you kind of have to), and with only 2 gun slots going gunzerker means having to go into my inventory, switch out the sniper rifle, come out, go gunzerk... not easy when in co-op.

Until I open the ability to have 4 weapons, that entire mode is kind of pointless. I know, maybe I should have been a different class (I'm Zero on my solo playthrough), but a sniper rifle just makes sense. You get a super powerful one early on and it lets you pick guys off and make them run to you. Start with the sniper, pick one to three off, then take out a shotgun or machine gun and mow the rest down.
Just doesn't work with Gunzerker ability.

It seems you have to keep hitting the button for non-automatic, yeah, though more guns are actually automatic than you think. And having to repeatedly press the right mouse button is going to throw off almost everyone's aim. It just makes no sense to have the mechanism work this way.

As for snipers, I agree. They've become so powerful (or rather, you get them with fire damage and big beefy numbers so early) that it's almost impossible not to use them. Both my siren and Zero kill 80-90% of all things with a sniper rifle.

I play the zerger a bit different. Shotgun plus SMG usually, though a good fire damage automatic pistol works fine too. Run around and flank the enemy, eat the hits, then zerg when you're almost dead and start going to town. It's a more risky approach, but fun when you can pull it off and wipe out most of an entire town in 20 seconds.

But he's difficult to play solo, because a single mistake gets you killed and there's no-one around to ress your ass...

Creston

143. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2012, 10:50 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 09:52:
Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 01:41:
Btw, who all did the "Loggins" mission, where you have to go into the Buzzard base on Goose's Platform, and burn down their volleyball net, went to turn it in, heard Loggins say "You can be my wingman any time" and automatically responded with "Bullshit! You can be mine!"

Come on. I can't be the only one who did that...?

Creston

I also completed that mission

But did you do the quote? DID YOU DO THE QUOTE???!!!!!!

Creston

142. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2012, 10:29 Beamer

Started a Gunzerker yesterday - correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to keep slamming the fire button for non-automatic weapons? I had a revolver in one hand and a machine gun in the other and was pretty sure that's how it worked. Having to mix automatic and semi-automatic is not fun.

Plus, I love sniping (you kind of have to), and with only 2 gun slots going gunzerker means having to go into my inventory, switch out the sniper rifle, come out, go gunzerk... not easy when in co-op.

Until I open the ability to have 4 weapons, that entire mode is kind of pointless. I know, maybe I should have been a different class (I'm Zero on my solo playthrough), but a sniper rifle just makes sense. You get a super powerful one early on and it lets you pick guys off and make them run to you. Start with the sniper, pick one to three off, then take out a shotgun or machine gun and mow the rest down.
Just doesn't work with Gunzerker ability.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

141. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2012, 10:10 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 17:09:
Well, finished my first playthrough as Assassin, unlocked the harder difficulty level. Man do I hate the boss fights in this game. I'm not sure why they thought "massive hps and the ability to either 1 or 2 shot you" is a fun game mechanic, but it really isn't. Luckily there tends to be semi-exploitive spots you can stand that'll minimize the damage you take, so you can get through them.

Now I'm wondering if I want to play more with the same char, or advance some of the others (I got all 4 chars as far as Sanctuary just so I could swap them their appropriate skill mods, so I didn't sell any that turn out to be good)? So far the Assassin and Gunzerker seem to have the weakest active skills - although I suspect the Gunzerker gets better as you go. I almost never used the Assassin one just because it's extremely situational - or so it seemed to me.

Oh, and Creston - unless you end up getting bad luck, you really don't have to worry about finding good quality stuff, by the end, I'd found at least a few dozen purples, and somewhere around 10 oranges. You go through tonnes of crap stuff, true, but the better gear is definitely dropping well.

The Assassin requires play style adjustment compared to the other classes. It's almost better for people to just go into the sniping tree until like level 16 or whenever you can unlock Execute in the Bloodshed tree. Deception is both an offensive and defensive ability, use it to position yourself and strategically take out targets by order of importance. The longer you wait to use your ability the more damage it does. Execute lets you dash and hit them which is invaluable, not to mention adding a hefty modifier to the damage totals. Zer0 is probably the most unique character design in the game, the other three classes are heavily derivative which is frustrating to be honest. You shouldn't be doing everything in melee though, I run around with a shotgun between targets and use Deception often. If you're up against bots or something then you just snipe, its way safer.

The Gunzerker is just a weird class. He's supposed to be tanky but shit is so lethal in the game that he dies easily. I have probably gained like 20k exp from rezzing my friend who plays one, he dies so often hes started apologizing for it. The Commando in the Survival tree is infinitely beefier which is odd. I've been playing a Commando alt on and off, its super boring but once the turret gets rockets its at least damaging. You basically drop your turret and go hide or snipe.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

140. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2012, 09:52 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 01:41:
Btw, who all did the "Loggins" mission, where you have to go into the Buzzard base on Goose's Platform, and burn down their volleyball net, went to turn it in, heard Loggins say "You can be my wingman any time" and automatically responded with "Bullshit! You can be mine!"

Creston

I also completed that mission

Steam: SpectralMeat

139. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2012, 08:47 nin

Got to the TMNT mission...almost walked out of the last room before I noticed a switch on the wall, seeming doing nothing. Oh, and what's with those lights over there?

138. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2012, 01:41 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 17:09:
Well, finished my first playthrough as Assassin, unlocked the harder difficulty level. Man do I hate the boss fights in this game. I'm not sure why they thought "massive hps and the ability to either 1 or 2 shot you" is a fun game mechanic, but it really isn't. Luckily there tends to be semi-exploitive spots you can stand that'll minimize the damage you take, so you can get through them.

Now I'm wondering if I want to play more with the same char, or advance some of the others (I got all 4 chars as far as Sanctuary just so I could swap them their appropriate skill mods, so I didn't sell any that turn out to be good)? So far the Assassin and Gunzerker seem to have the weakest active skills - although I suspect the Gunzerker gets better as you go. I almost never used the Assassin one just because it's extremely situational - or so it seemed to me.

Oh, and Creston - unless you end up getting bad luck, you really don't have to worry about finding good quality stuff, by the end, I'd found at least a few dozen purples, and somewhere around 10 oranges. You go through tonnes of crap stuff, true, but the better gear is definitely dropping well.

Yeah, on my assassin so far I'm finding tons of stuff. It's just the typical Borderlands "random loot fucking you over" Syndrome. It hit my Siren for about 8 levels, but even she'd gotten a few better drops after that.

As for the Assassin being the weakest active skill, yeah, I don't agree. If you go Melee, the Stealth+Melee will absolutely OHKO pretty much every non-boss enemy in the game, including badasses. You add the ability with it that resets your timer when you kill someone, and you can basically wipe out a whole room without any of them ever having a chance to do anything to you.

My Assassin is having NO problems whatsoever with Wormhole Treshers. Oh, a Tresher is pulling me in. Stealh+Melee=One Dead Wormhole Tresher.

Against harder critters (like the Mutated Badass Varkid, for example), it's the ultimate kite. Snipe snipe snipe, stealth, run away, snipe snipe snipe, stealth, run away, etc.

And not to forget that even his sniper rifle gets a substantial boost from stealthing. Realistically, if your stealth is sitting there fully charged and you DON'T use it, and you're not currently running around Sanctuary or something, you're doing it wrong. You need to stealth as soon as it comes back on, so your DPS can just jump to an entirely new stratosphere. Kill the weaker enemies during the charge-up, then wipe out the big guy with a single cloaked shot.

And this is just at levels in the high teens. I can't imagine how absurdly powerful he gets at level 30+, when I have a dozen more skillpoints.

I found the Gunzerg ability less useful, but really only because I can't aim for shit if I have to hold down both mouse buttons. Why you can't just fire both weapons with the left mouse button in zerg is beyond me. Isn't the whole POINT of the ability that I can fire both of them at the same time? Why would I want to fire one and not the other? So why does it have dual mouse-button functionality?

The Siren is also awesome, but I found turret guy pretty underwhelming. Yay, he throws a turret that is quite shitty for the first 20 levels or so.

Creston

157 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo