Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Project Eternity Using Unity

A Project Eternity Kickstarter update has word from Obsidian Entertainment that they have selected the Unity engine for their upcoming RPG, calling this "the best tool for the job." Word is: "Unity enables small teams to be very productive. Unity has an amazing development environment that makes it very easy for programmers, artists and designers to work together to build great games. In a very short time we have already made great progress prototyping some of the core functionality for Project Eternity." As for their fundraising efforts, they are currently at over $1.8 million, which has triggered another milestone, with the $2.0 million and $2.2 million milestones looking reachable with over three weeks remaining. Thanks nin.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 23, 2012, 20:57 NKD

I've been playing with Unity recently and it's actually a fairly good choice. I can't think of any reason it would limit them in any way from making the kind of game we're hoping they make.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 23, 2012, 08:34 Krodge

Unity is fine. Its still missing a couple of tools that would be helpful to artists. But there are 3rd party plugins while we wait.

I'd say the tools are about as easy to work with as UDK or Cryengine.
And graphically its fine, Not as good as cryengine, probably as good as UDK, And its about a billion times better looking than the antique gamebryo engine they used for New Vegas. That game doesn't even seem to have any sort of shadowing/lightmaps.

Dont worry, If this game sucks its not going to be because they used a popular well respected engine.

22. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 23, 2012, 03:48 TheEmissary

A game engine is only as powerful as the developer or the artist that uses it. I have seen some games that used a expensive engine with subpar results. The quality of the game comes from the gameplay and aesthetic both of which aren't really engine bound elements.

For a low budget game they are going to want to prioritize where they spend there development time. The Unity engine is perfect for the types of games were you don't need to reinvent the wheel or advance the state of the art.

21. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 23, 2012, 02:12 Beelzebud

They're doing this with Kickstarter because they can't get any publishers to fund a game in this style.

Wasteland 2 is using the Unity engine, and they probably saw the progress that had been made with it, and decided to use it too. The little scene they showed off from Wasteland 2 looks fine.

Unity engine added support for Linux a month ago, and one game has already shipped using its Linux support. It's no longer a hypothetical, it has happened.

A lot of strong opinions here, but you guys should read up on this stuff before you start criticizing everything about it. It's not like this is secret info.

20. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 23, 2012, 01:07 nin

Rochard (in the latest Humble Indie Bundle) uses Unity

Finally picked that one up awhile back. Looks fun...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 23, 2012, 00:00 John

Acleacius wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 22:03:
Can't remember if they've said it will be coop like BG, BG2, IWD and IWD 2. If it wasn't in the plans sure hope it's a stretch goal, maybe 2.5 million? Though if it in anyway would slow them down, disregard this comment.
They're supposed to announce a revision to the $2.2 mil goal on Monday and maybe even some additional goals so I'm interested to see what that will be.

This space is available for rent

18. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 23:21 The Half Elf

Doesn't Obsidian still have a Unreal license laying around from a canceled project?

It just surprises me that a company coming off of Fallout New Vegas is 1) doing a kickstarter, 2)Not using an engine they have previously shipped a game with or has more (yeah go ahead and flame me for this) AAA titles under it's belt.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 23:03 ciresft

Rochard (in the latest Humble Indie Bundle) uses Unity, and uses their native Linux deployment releasing with Unity 4 and available in Beta to preorder customers.

Unity is a great engine and is getting a lot of (well deserved) attention from bigger studios, which will continue to make the engine better. I've been using Unity for 5 years now and have tried other engines, but I always come back to Unity.

In about one year, all these Kickstarter projects using Unity will release and nobody will ever need to question it again.

16. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 22:03 Acleacius

Can't remember if they've said it will be coop like BG, BG2, IWD and IWD 2. If it wasn't in the plans sure hope it's a stretch goal, maybe 2.5 million? Though if it in anyway would slow them down, disregard this comment.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 21:22 Techie714

Important question that I can't seem to find the answer to.

Unity Engine 3 or 4? Big difference in tech.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

14. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 21:08 ochentay4

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 15:52:
Not a very exciting list of game that uses the Unity engine.
List of games
Cordy, Escape Plan, Jelly Defense, Max & the Magic Marker, Monster Trucks Nitro, Rochard, Samurai II: Vengeance, ShadowGun, Snuggle Truck, Unstoppable Gorg. These games rocks. I think Unity engine is fantastic.

13. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 20:53 Minuit

Blab wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 16:45:
If you click on the link it says straight up it's cause they're adding Mac and Linux support.

The official word has been that Unity will support Linux Real Soon Now for years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Of course, the last Unity project I worked on was Tail Towns, so it will always smell funny to me.

12. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 19:38 Bhruic

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 18:47:
That's sorta my concern, the vast majority of the games are either for phones/tablets or browsers.

I won't say graphics are unimportant, but they aren't nearly as important for an RPG as they would be for something like a FPS. Even for an ARPG, graphics aren't really going to break a game. Torchlight II is doing quite well and getting numerous kudos/acclaim, but frankly, the graphics are pretty basic.

So even if the engine is primarily used for tablets/browsers (and I'm not saying it is, I don't know either way), that's not an immediate negative.

11. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 19:10 Sepharo

List of games

I was mouse wheeling through that list and my screen went black and then shortly after blue... with white text.

10. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 18:47 The Half Elf

That's sorta my concern, the vast majority of the games are either for phones/tablets or browsers.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 18:47 Eirikrautha

List of games

I've been using the Unity3D Engine for quite a while. It's exactly what a small team needs... most of the attention can be on assets and coding features, as opposed to spending boatloads of time tweaking a 3rd-party engine (*cough* unreal *cough*) to do exactly what you want it to do. It's a handy middle-ware solution, especially when you don't want to have to reinvent the wheel...

8. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 18:04 Cutter

Unity is great. Check out City of Steam, it's a great little browser based steampunk ARPG that uses the Unity engine to great effect. I have no qualms about OE or anyone else using it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 16:45 Blab

Draugr wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 16:19:
Yeah, Wasteland 2 will be using unity, there are already some screenshots out, though they arent a finished product at all.

I suspect going with Unity has a lot to do with linux support, which it either has or will soon have, due in part to the Wasteland 2 project.

If you click on the link it says straight up it's cause they're adding Mac and Linux support.

6. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 16:39 Shok

List of games

I'm surprised AI War isn't in that list. Even though it's a 2d game it uses Unity.

5. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 16:19 Draugr

Yeah, Wasteland 2 will be using unity, there are already some screenshots out, though they arent a finished product at all.

I suspect going with Unity has a lot to do with linux support, which it either has or will soon have, due in part to the Wasteland 2 project.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo