Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Next-gen consoles will be the last - Nvidia. Sep 23, 2012, 02:51 netnerd85

Fantaz wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 01:54:
netnerd85 wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 06:46:
Fantaz wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 06:40:
I don't think AMD/ATI shares the same view about cloud gaming like NVidia does.
If only they made good hardware

Well hopefully the GPU they put in the Wii U should be good at least...
Indeed, all I really want to play is LEGO City: Undercover but ZombieU looks good too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Next-gen consoles will be the last - Nvidia. Sep 23, 2012, 01:54 Fantaz

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 06:46:

Well hopefully the GPU they put in the Wii U should be good at least...

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 22, 2012, 14:33 HorrorScope

space captain wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 00:43:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 00:35:
Hah, the prediction of "The Death of Consoles". If that happens lol, for all the years the pc had that hanging over its head.

wtf are you talking about? wipe the drool off your mouth and try again

btw genius, the PC isnt a person

Were you born last night?

19. Re: respect your elders, boy Sep 22, 2012, 10:55 Beamer

That guy advocating Steam Greenlight realizes Steam is helping lead the cloud transformation, right?

Gaming is going to become a service, no way around it. Everything is a service. I've ranted here about how even machines on an assembly line or a doctor's office have become a service, where everything no has an initial price as well as click fees.

Pretty much anything that can become a service will become a service, but there are ways that this can be beneficial to consumers in the same way cable was (even as cable is now dying for not keeping up with changing consumer habits.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: respect your elders, boy Sep 22, 2012, 09:43 netnerd85

space captain wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 09:10:
NewMaxx wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 02:10:
I've worked in IT for over 10 years

whoa!!! over 10 whole years? WOW

so impressive
Can't even get a quote right. You have an iphone dont yah?

17. respect your elders, boy Sep 22, 2012, 09:10 space captain

I've worked in IT for over 10 years

whoa!!! over 10 whole years? WOW

so impressive

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Next-gen consoles will be the last - Nvidia. Sep 22, 2012, 06:46 netnerd85

15. Re: Next-gen consoles will be the last - Nvidia. Sep 22, 2012, 06:40 Fantaz

14. Re: Next-gen consoles will be the last - Nvidia. Sep 22, 2012, 06:37 beigemore

This is why I now play board games.  

13. Re: Next-gen consoles will be the last - Nvidia. Sep 22, 2012, 05:58 Julio

I'll support a open platform which allows physical ownership of purchases (digital is fine as long as it can be stored like GOG, not Steam). No way I'm buying games that only exist in the cloud. Not to mention paying extra to access what I've paid for by paying bandwidth charges.

EA/Ubi/Steam don't like what you have to say, they take away access to the games you paid for. No thanks.

12. Next-gen consoles will be the last - Nvidia. Sep 22, 2012, 05:48 jdreyer

Fine by me, as long as they keep making PC graphics cards. PCs forever!  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 22, 2012, 05:29 netnerd85

The problem is that the average person wants it this way: they desire convenience, and are willing to trade some measure of privacy and control for it. ... people are willing to pay for a hamburger tomorrow with what little they still own today. The transition to a convergent mobile platform has made this all the more convenient.
Sadly, all very true. I don't think it should be either or, there has to be a mix. I've worked in IT for over 10 years and am totally against going completely digital it's just such a stupid, stupid thing to do. The nature of computers is accessibility, digital security is a joke but as we all know joe-average knows sweet f-all about computers. They just want to plug and play.

The solution is to support indie and open platforms wherever you can find them. This is why Android is popular, and why concepts like Steam Greenlight and Kickstarter are gaining momentum. It's been a long time coming, but now is the time to start taking these ideas more seriously and fight for the right type of future for your games. They will try to sell people on the cloud for any number of reasons, including security, which time after time has been shown to be a hilarious assertion.
Steam have their entertainment platform ideas. They need to be forced to open up more. I support www.GoG.com more.

Basically, we're coming to a crossroads and possibly a tipping point, so now's the time to give the industry a middle finger.
Indeed

@space captain Sarcasticclap

10. FIGHT THE POWER Sep 22, 2012, 02:15 space captain

Basically, we're coming to a crossroads and possibly a tipping point, so now's the time to give the industry a middle finger.

i bet everyone will follow your glorious proclamations, and you will be hailed as a prophet and messiah of the new age

good job, man - you did it! Highfive

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 22, 2012, 02:10 NewMaxx

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 01:42:
Everyone (that's the people selling you shit) wants the one stop entertainment store for music, games and movies. They want to control what you buy and where you buy it while maintaining control over the actual product, in other words have the ability to take it away from you. They want to know EVERYTHING about you to sell you more shit.

You are exactly right. The problem is that the average person wants it this way: they desire convenience, and are willing to trade some measure of privacy and control for it. There's a reason the two biggest companies in the US are Google and Apple, and the biggest IPO flop is Facebook. To put it another way, people are willing to pay for a hamburger tomorrow with what little they still own today. The transition to a convergent mobile platform has made this all the more convenient.

The solution is to support indie and open platforms wherever you can find them. This is why Android is popular, and why concepts like Steam Greenlight and Kickstarter are gaining momentum. It's been a long time coming, but now is the time to start taking these ideas more seriously and fight for the right type of future for your games. They will try to sell people on the cloud for any number of reasons, including security, which time after time has been shown to be a hilarious assertion.

8. rock and roll Sep 22, 2012, 02:02 space captain

yeh man digital is the DEVIL!

Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 22, 2012, 01:42 netnerd85

Everyone (that's the people selling you shit) wants the one stop entertainment store for music, games and movies. They want to control what you buy and where you buy it while maintaining control over the actual product, in other words have the ability to take it away from you. They want to know EVERYTHING about you to sell you more shit.

Tell them to go f*ck themselves. Keep buying hard physcial products they can NEVER take away from you and can't track.

They are trying to make your entire life digital and control it. Stop buying into it.

Be cautious. Keep one foot in the real world.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 22, 2012, 01:31 Mordecai Walfish

The cloud article has some merit, but it does not mean the death of consoles as the "PC Master Race" (seemingly) hopes.

There is a coming sea-change in the underlying technologies and what is feasible, one that is predicted to happen within the next 10 years by many, and that is close to the current lifespan of consoles.

Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony will still have their beloved IP's and they will build them into a different platform. This means things like AR/VR, Cloud, and a smaller box that they will not have to take a loss on as they do with their current hardware (nintendo being the exception to that). The kinect, wii and ps move, as well as their efforts to make the online components a huge factor in their current consoles (again with nintendo as the exception) are clear signs of the direction things are heading.

The article about Wii U's "slow CPU" is an obviously biased one at heart.. they go so far as to mention that the GPU will be a AMD 7-series but then go on to explain that it will only be in the quality range of DirectX 10 level graphics, which is an outright fabrication that seems to be aimed at putting some doubts in people's heads before the launch. AMD/ATI has had DX11 in their GPU's since long before the 7 series, yet in the article they chose to characterize it in this fashion.. seems just a bit fishy.

5. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 22, 2012, 00:43 space captain

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 00:35:
Hah, the prediction of "The Death of Consoles". If that happens lol, for all the years the pc had that hanging over its head.

wtf are you talking about? wipe the drool off your mouth and try again

btw genius, the PC isnt a person

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 22, 2012, 00:35 HorrorScope

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 22, 2012, 00:02 Beamer

I don't think claiming this will be the last traditional console generation is a stretch. Maybe one more after this. Maybe.

Microsoft would clearly rather sell a tablet with an HDMI out and 4 bluetooth controllers, with a special "Xbox" store. Or something. Build that store into tvs. Who knows?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo