Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions

Torchlight II is now available, offering the second installment in this action/RPG series from Runic Games, a developer that boasts some of the creators of the original Diablo (there's an interview on IncGamers with Matt Uelmen talking about the old days of Blizzard North). Joystiq has word from Runic CEO Max Schaefer that the company is working on an OS X edition of the game, but that they are reconsidering plans for an MMO version of Torchlight. Here's his convoluted explanation: "We're waiting to do the Mac port of Torchlight 2, and fix whatever launch issues we have, and then decide after we've had a good night's sleep or three. It is likely that nothing that would be called an MMO is the next thing we do, though, but that's not 100 percent certain." Travis Baldree elaborates on Reddit: "I'll be frank, we have no plans to jump into that right now. The landscape is a little different than a few years ago, and creating the amount of content we did for Torchlight 2 was a supreme effort with a team this size. Taking on an MMO immediately afterward is not our current desire." Torchlight II is available on the Official Website and through Steam, and they each also offer a playable demo (thanks Frans), though there are no details on what this includes. Here's how the game is described:

The award-winning action RPG is back, bigger and better than ever! Torchlight II takes you back into the quirky, fast-paced world of bloodthirsty monsters, bountiful treasures, and sinister secrets - and, once again, the fate of the world is in your hands!

Torchlight II captures all the flavor and excitement of the original game - while expanding the world and adding the features players wanted most, including online and LAN co-op multiplayer. Torchlight II is fast, fun, and filled to the brim with action and loot. Adventure solo or online with your friends!

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 20, 2012, 21:32 Axis

Having loved everything about TL1, mainly the fact they were new indie and arpg.

I thought the beta of TL2 was pretty crap across the board. Every single aspect screamed lackluster.

For $20 I normally wouldn't even blink if I thought it would be decent, but I'm blinking...

...and waiting.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 21:32 Cutter

MisterBenn wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 20:57:
Fantastic, I am downloading now. Apart from wishing the graphic style was a little grittier, I loved the beta so I can't wait to jump in properly now. I managed to avoid touching D3 at all so this is basically Diablo Day for me. Allthumbsup

See, I think that was the major problem with me for T1, I just didn't care for the art syle and, sadly, T2 looks like more of the same. I want to support these guys but for the life of me I could not get into T1. Oh well, at least they were smart enough to provide a demo so I'll try it and see.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 20, 2012, 21:18 HorrorScope

deqer wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 20:36:
and suddenly the Title for this Thread has changed to contain "MMO Questions" in it. Why? What does that even mean?

Why would you put the word "MMO" in news related to TL2? TL2 is not an MMO. You're making this Title/News look dirty, and false information.

There plans was to follow this up with a Torchlight MMO, but they've been back peddling on that one the last month or so. Sounds like they are going to make an entirely new game next.

14. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 21:16 Mordecai Walfish

"The landscape is a little different than a few years ago"

Seems to me MMO's were being released and tanking at about the same rate as they are now "a few years ago" (3-5?), maybe it's just the perception that all mmo's have to be f2p now thats changed most? Or perhaps he's just talking about the economy in general..

13. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 21:05 The Pyro

I was hoping to play with my brother this evening but neither of us has successfully linked Torchlight 2 to our Steam accounts yet. 404 errors. Oh well...  

12. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 20:57 MisterBenn

Fantastic, I am downloading now. Apart from wishing the graphic style was a little grittier, I loved the beta so I can't wait to jump in properly now. I managed to avoid touching D3 at all so this is basically Diablo Day for me. Allthumbsup  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

11. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 20:56 deadearth

and suddenly the Title for this Thread has changed to contain "MMO Questions" in it. Why? What does that even mean?

Why would you put the word "MMO" in news related to TL2? TL2 is not an MMO. You're making this Title/News look dirty, and false information.

Why would you even talk about their future plans, and the plan of MMO?

This News is about TL2 Launch. NOT their future MMO plans. No one likes MMOs.

Bah... what a crappy title now. It was cool at first. It was just "Torchlight II and Demo Available", simple, and straight to the point, but now you ruined it.

Hah calm down calm down

http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Torchlight_MMO

The MMO has been in discussion for YEARS. The MMO questions have little to do with the launch of torchlight 2, the news of the MMO and the launch availability story was just in the same post. I'm ok with that.

10. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 20:53 nin

Bah... what a crappy title now. It was cool at first. It was just "Torchlight II and Demo Available", simple, and straight to the point, but now you ruined it.

What a fucking crybaby...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 20:52 Slashman

I'm still not sure why the hell they ever wanted to do an MMO.

Even a few years ago, the MMO landscape looked like crap. They have a good thing with the Torchlight franchise. I'd like to think they don't want to screw that up.

8. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 20:51 The Half Elf

deger, what project or MMO did you once work on?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 20:50 Quboid

Damn, deqer, I thought that for once you'd give TL2 threads a break. Why is "MMO questions" in the title? Probably because, as well as TL2 being launched, questions about a TL MMO are in the news.

Shouldn't you be busy playing TL2, rather than being endlessly massively defensive about it?

- Quboid

6. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 20:38 BobBob

MMO should be censored. It's gaming pollution. Maybe we can run our own servers? I've been reading about that.  

5. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 20:36 deqer

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2012, 20:41.

4. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 20:33 deqer

If you purchase it on Steam, you'll need to link your account to your Runic account, and since the Runic site is being hammered all day and probably every day for the next week or so, you just might need to wait that long to play online.

Singleplayer, and LAN are not affected by this. You can still play those without an account.

But for online matchmaking, you need to register runic account, and if your TL2 is on steam you need to use the runic website to link your steam account to your runic account.

3. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Now Available Sep 20, 2012, 20:29 nin

Thought I might try and buy directly from them if they provided a steam key (to hopefully get them a larger cut), but the web site is down...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Now Available Sep 20, 2012, 20:25 deqer

What a steal of a deal, for such a great game too -- and it blows Diablo III out of the water. So, how can you can resist?

1. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Now Available Sep 20, 2012, 20:22 jdreyer

No demo needed for me. Played the beta and lurved it. Will be picking up soon, but have some other things I need to play first.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo