Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions

Torchlight II is now available, offering the second installment in this action/RPG series from Runic Games, a developer that boasts some of the creators of the original Diablo (there's an interview on IncGamers with Matt Uelmen talking about the old days of Blizzard North). Joystiq has word from Runic CEO Max Schaefer that the company is working on an OS X edition of the game, but that they are reconsidering plans for an MMO version of Torchlight. Here's his convoluted explanation: "We're waiting to do the Mac port of Torchlight 2, and fix whatever launch issues we have, and then decide after we've had a good night's sleep or three. It is likely that nothing that would be called an MMO is the next thing we do, though, but that's not 100 percent certain." Travis Baldree elaborates on Reddit: "I'll be frank, we have no plans to jump into that right now. The landscape is a little different than a few years ago, and creating the amount of content we did for Torchlight 2 was a supreme effort with a team this size. Taking on an MMO immediately afterward is not our current desire." Torchlight II is available on the Official Website and through Steam, and they each also offer a playable demo (thanks Frans), though there are no details on what this includes. Here's how the game is described:

The award-winning action RPG is back, bigger and better than ever! Torchlight II takes you back into the quirky, fast-paced world of bloodthirsty monsters, bountiful treasures, and sinister secrets - and, once again, the fate of the world is in your hands!

Torchlight II captures all the flavor and excitement of the original game - while expanding the world and adding the features players wanted most, including online and LAN co-op multiplayer. Torchlight II is fast, fun, and filled to the brim with action and loot. Adventure solo or online with your friends!

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

37. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 05:03 Prez

I never tried Diablo 3 (nor would I given how shitty the regressive changes Blizzard has shoehorned into it sound), so I can't make a side-by-side comparison. I will say that Torchlight 2 is just about the game I wanted when Diablo 3 was announced all that time ago. I'm thrilled that Runic stepped up to fill the huge gap left by D3's immense suckitude.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 04:26 InBlack

ASeven wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 23:14:
Enjoying TL2 a lot so far. Word of advice, choose Hard or higher for difficulty. Normal's way too easy.

Hang on you choose difficulty??? So its actually not like diablo, where the difficulty determines the loot drop, monster difficulty etc. What gives? This begs the question, why would anyone play on higher difficulties if lower difficulties are easier and provide the same loot???

Doesnt bode too well....what about PvP can you cross swords with people in random games? Can you create games, join games or is it a retarded matchamaker?

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 21, 2012, 04:23 Prez

*Just for clarification, MisterBenn has me quoted as saying what Wowbagger actually said in reply to my comment seen below.

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 22:29:
Prez wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 21:37:
Totally digging TL2 so far. Have got about 7 hours in as a dual-wielding Beserker. FWIW, the art to me seems a bit more gritty and less "cutesy" this time around. I'm thinking if the look of Diablo 3 doesn't turn you off then neither should TL2. Of course, that may not be the way everyone sees it.

So what kind of changes did they make to the skill tree since the beta? The beta tree was kind of boring because most of the upgrades were just like +5% to whatever. Yawn. I hope they made it more interesting since then.

I didn't play the beta. But I can tell you that as a berserker I have seen a couple of skills that have a +5% incremental increase. Many don't though.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 04:18 Kajetan

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 02:44:
After playing this for 5 hours today, Diablo 3 is dead, buried, and uninstalled.
What Diablo 3? Isn't this game the Diablo 3 we all want?

33. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 02:44 Beelzebud

After playing this for 5 hours today, Diablo 3 is dead, buried, and uninstalled. If you're in the mood for an action RPG, I don't think there is anything better out there.

As a bonus Matt Uleman's music is there in all of it's glory, and really enhances the mood of the game.

32. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 02:13 .Drifter

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 20:51:
deqer wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 20:36:
and suddenly the Title for this Thread has changed to contain "MMO Questions" in it. Why? What does that even mean?

Why would you put the word "MMO" in news related to TL2? TL2 is not an MMO. You're making this Title/News look dirty, and false information.

Why would you even talk about their future plans, and the plan of MMO?

This News is about TL2 Launch. NOT their future MMO plans. No one likes MMOs.

Bah... what a crappy title now. It was cool at first. It was just "Torchlight II and Demo Available", simple, and straight to the point, but now you ruined it.

deger, what project or MMO did you once work on?

Based on past comments, I'd guess a temp hire at Blizzard to work on WoW or one of it's expansions at crunch time, with promised bonuses that were not delivered on due to unrealistic time frames given to complete milestones, which were not reached, with an eventual early term to prevent paying out any bonuses, which caused a very intense dislike of Blizzard specifically and by association MMO's in general.

31. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 21, 2012, 00:57 MisterBenn

Prez Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 21:37:
So what kind of changes did they make to the skill tree since the beta? The beta tree was kind of boring because most of the upgrades were just like +5% to whatever. Yawn. I hope they made it more interesting since then.

I felt the same thing in the beta. The main thing they added since to combat that is that every skill that gives an active ability gets extra effects that kick in at 5, 10, 15 out of 15 points invested to avoid some of the skills being a one point wonder.

Edit: I screwed up when quoting, that line was quoted from Wowbagger_TIP rather than Prez. Corrected now.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2012, 06:58.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

30. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 00:40 El Pit

Just found out that my key bought from Runic is no Steam key. Hmmm... What if I downloaded the demo via Steam and enter my Runic key to turn it into the full version?  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

29. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 23:42 Slashman

I'm only on level 5 with my Engineer and I'm sold. Way better than TL1 in every way.  

28. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 23:36 BobBob

The more I play TL2 the more I like it. Greatly improved AI, elevation fights, diversity of enemies, etc.  

27. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 23:17 ^Drag0n^

There goes my weekend...  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

26. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 23:14 ASeven

Enjoying TL2 a lot so far. Word of advice, choose Hard or higher for difficulty. Normal's way too easy.  

25. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 23:12 nin

RPS basically said it's miles better than Diablo 3 and almost a perfect game in the genre, but not to look for any kind of innovations.

Honestly, I'm fine with that.

edit: Holy shit, the resurrected the server!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

24. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 23:08 Creston

RPS basically said it's miles better than Diablo 3 and almost a perfect game in the genre, but not to look for any kind of innovations.

(though that's a little unfair, as the USEFUL pet and "turn into a monster" thing were both introduced by the torchlight franchise.)

I think I'll just buy this now and then play it somewhere next year when I actually have time.

Creston

23. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 22:42 Dades

This is like what Diablo 2 was to Diablo. I can't believe how much they improved and added. The new classes are really interesting and I can customize a character instead of playing some cookie cutter WOW style build. Fucking hats off to these guys, they out Diablo'd Diablo 3.

It's been completely revamped and redone, its a ton of different abilities and all of the trees on the Engineer I picked looked really fun and interesting. They rehauled a lot of stuff after the feedback from beta and fixed all of my complaints. It is really like a proper Diablo game now.

22. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 22:39 Alamar

2-3 hours in myself... and I have already found 5 set items heh... 4/3 of one set, and another 1/3... They're so not powerful (being low level, and more frequent), but it's fun to collect...

Enjoying my embermage... The starter fire attack is great, but I'm loving the Prismatic Bolt more, and I was even able to get my 'automated' skill point back for the fire attack, so that's a really nice feature.

This game screams variety and randomness, which is a nice change of pace from D3's linearity...

-Alamar

21. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 20, 2012, 22:29 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 21:37:
Totally digging TL2 so far. Have got about 7 hours in as a dual-wielding Beserker. FWIW, the art to me seems a bit more gritty and less "cutesy" this time around. I'm thinking if the look of Diablo 3 doesn't turn you off then neither should TL2. Of course, that may not be the way everyone sees it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

20. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 22:22 MisterBenn

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 21:32:
I just didn't care for the art syle and, sadly, T2 looks like more of the same.

Definitely try the demo out. Although I wish it was a little darker the style does bug me less than TL1, I think maybe the camera's a little more zoomed out so you focus on the action and the spacing of players and mobs more than the models previously. The skill system got a bunch of improvements since the beta so I don't know what to expect there so much but what I do know from the beta is that the basic mechanics of the fighting are done fantastically well. The action is very slick and the hits that you land are very punchy and satisfying... I was struck by this several times in the 10 hours I played. The difficulty level seemed well adjusted too, you had to stay on your toes not to die a lot of the time. I'm very much looking forward to Path of Exile too but I expect that Torchlight 2 will be my favourite all round package from the current crop of action RPGs.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

19. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 21:48 LittleMe

Here's a Torchlight 2 First impressions vid.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 20, 2012, 21:37 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo