Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions

Torchlight II is now available, offering the second installment in this action/RPG series from Runic Games, a developer that boasts some of the creators of the original Diablo (there's an interview on IncGamers with Matt Uelmen talking about the old days of Blizzard North). Joystiq has word from Runic CEO Max Schaefer that the company is working on an OS X edition of the game, but that they are reconsidering plans for an MMO version of Torchlight. Here's his convoluted explanation: "We're waiting to do the Mac port of Torchlight 2, and fix whatever launch issues we have, and then decide after we've had a good night's sleep or three. It is likely that nothing that would be called an MMO is the next thing we do, though, but that's not 100 percent certain." Travis Baldree elaborates on Reddit: "I'll be frank, we have no plans to jump into that right now. The landscape is a little different than a few years ago, and creating the amount of content we did for Torchlight 2 was a supreme effort with a team this size. Taking on an MMO immediately afterward is not our current desire." Torchlight II is available on the Official Website and through Steam, and they each also offer a playable demo (thanks Frans), though there are no details on what this includes. Here's how the game is described:

The award-winning action RPG is back, bigger and better than ever! Torchlight II takes you back into the quirky, fast-paced world of bloodthirsty monsters, bountiful treasures, and sinister secrets - and, once again, the fate of the world is in your hands!

Torchlight II captures all the flavor and excitement of the original game - while expanding the world and adding the features players wanted most, including online and LAN co-op multiplayer. Torchlight II is fast, fun, and filled to the brim with action and loot. Adventure solo or online with your friends!

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

57. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 11:31 nin

honestly I am happy to wait for "borderlands "2 to go to 40 bucks or less.

Well, it went as low as $36 before launch with coupons, if you knew where to look!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 11:22 avianflu

TL2 is more than different enough in the skilltrees to keep my interest and for me at least, that's what mattered. It is not just like TL1 thankfully.

honestly I am happy to wait for "borderlands "2 to go to 40 bucks or less.

55. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 21, 2012, 11:21 Kajetan

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 10:42:
THE GAME HAS A DEMO TO!
Demos are for looser devs, who are not convinced that their game will blow everyone away. Look at Diablo 3. No demo and they sold 6 mio. units in the first few weeks.

54. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 21, 2012, 10:42 HorrorScope

On top of all the other good things....

THE GAME HAS A DEMO TO!

53. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 10:14 nin

The musical Soundtrack is so effing beautiful

They offer a free download of that BTW, in case you missed it the other day.

52. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 10:10 Optional nickname

Having played the first 40 minutes of this game, I have to say Runic, all my negative thoughts of TL1 are forgiven, TL2 is such an awesome sequel, I am loving everything so far, It turned my Diablo 3 Depression, into TL2 Bliss. I will take it slow, because I haven't paused to read every loot I find (every minute) to see how it awesomely changes my Engineer's abilities.

Extremely polished, Extremely worth not $20, but $60.

The musical Soundtrack is so effing beautiful, it is actually overpowering to this cartoony like game, to a point, but I shall let it play in TL2, and never ever bring that into Diablo3, shame on those that consider this.

the isometric view is zoomed out a touch at 1080p, but it is a very welcomed change, albeit the small monster appearance, I haven't seen the rest, but so far they looked a little translucent

I am about to post a picture of MY Torchlight, it will be my D3 CE BOX Pierced through a Bamboo Poletip, set on fire.

edit: Forgot to say my favorite part, this game is like Dungeon Seige 1 , but so much better! THANK YOU FOR THIS!

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2012, 10:49.

51. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 21, 2012, 10:03 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 08:48:
I have to say, I'm shocked at how good this game is. I was one of the people really down on the original Torchlight, it was a very average and bland experience that was easily won and done in a weekend. This is an improvement in every way possible. The overworld additions are well done and give it a real sense of scale. The randomization is well implemented and the game has a surprising amount of secrets and neat things to dig up. It has offline, online and LAN play! The skill trees aren't the boring shit we saw from the first game or in beta, they made them very compelling and there a huge number of build possibilities.

I can't believe this is $20 and Diablo 3 is $60. They have one upped it in every way except price. Kudos to Runic, I just hope their sales aren't impacted by GW2 and BL2.

This is why I never bought D3. Both beta's were very near each other. If you did a double blind test (I don't even know what that means) it was easy to see the T2 was a better game in most ways. The single biggest "oh hell yes" feature is the Pet being able to go to the shop buy/sell and return. That was the worst part of this genre. All the loot and the constant going back and forth to town or be very very frugal on what you pick up. With the pet, this is totally gone and you stay out in the field for hours without returning to town. Brilliant!

Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 is one helluva week for ARPG's.

50. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 21, 2012, 09:58 HorrorScope

InBlack wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 04:26:
ASeven wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 23:14:
Enjoying TL2 a lot so far. Word of advice, choose Hard or higher for difficulty. Normal's way too easy.

Hang on you choose difficulty??? So its actually not like diablo, where the difficulty determines the loot drop, monster difficulty etc. What gives? This begs the question, why would anyone play on higher difficulties if lower difficulties are easier and provide the same loot???

Play for gameplay. I am so happy I don't have to start at the lowest, beat the game then to the next easy level. I can start right at a challenging level for game play, nothing more.

This game doesn't have closed servers, you can cheat level/loot if you are that kind a person. This is a big feature and for some a deal breaker I'm sure, for that real serious type. But I'll only be playing with people I know, so no big to me.

I also play with the "Show loot off" and is banned from our group, so we can miss spotting loot. Why? J.H.C. for the sense of some type of adventure. We almost make this genre play itself, look for loot yourself, add some spice!

49. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 09:50 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 09:36:
wow....lots of butthurt on that first page....

deqer posts, lol.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

48. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 09:36 xXBatmanXx

wow....lots of butthurt on that first page....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

47. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 09:29 Darks

Verno wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 08:48:
I have to say, I'm shocked at how good this game is. I was one of the people really down on the original Torchlight, it was a very average and bland experience that was easily won and done in a weekend. This is an improvement in every way possible. The overworld additions are well done and give it a real sense of scale. The randomization is well implemented and the game has a surprising amount of secrets and neat things to dig up. It has offline, online and LAN play! The skill trees aren't the boring shit we saw from the first game or in beta, they made them very compelling and there a huge number of build possibilities.

I can't believe this is $20 and Diablo 3 is $60. They have one upped it in every way except price. Kudos to Runic, I just hope their sales aren't impacted by GW2 and BL2.

I have to agree with you, I was happily surprised at how good the game is and fun. And I was even more surprised that you donít have to wade through each difficulty by beating the game just to get to the next difficulty level. That was awesome. Playing an engineer and really liking her hitting power. I did try the wizard and the Berserker; those were ok, but not as fun as the Engineer.

I bought the four packs on Steam, got the nice discount for it and gave my lan party friends theirs, I also bought one other copy because I wanted to get into the Neverwinter beta. I got both of those cd keys in an email Thursday. Canít wait to try out Neverwinter.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

46. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 09:20 Slashman

Axis wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 09:12:
Better than D3, not even close to PoE. Bought it for my son since it's so easy but enjoying it for now myself.

Unless there's a nifty mod or two that comes out, there won't be more than about 2 weeks of interest at best from your average gamer.

There is extensive modding in TL1...can't imagine that TL2 is any different in that regard. The difference between this and TL1 for me is that I actually feel like playing different classes to see what the skills do. I never felt like that for TL1.

45. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 09:12 Axis

Better than D3, not even close to PoE. Bought it for my son since it's so easy but enjoying it for now myself.

Unless there's a nifty mod or two that comes out, there won't be more than about 2 weeks of interest at best from your average gamer.

Yours truly,

Axis

44. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 08:48 Verno

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

43. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 08:47 nin

El Pit wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 00:40:
Just found out that my key bought from Runic is no Steam key. Hmmm... What if I downloaded the demo via Steam and enter my Runic key to turn it into the full version?

Yeah, the server came back up, and I was going to buy from them directly, but I see no mention of a steam key. So I guess I'll just grab it through steam.

42. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 21, 2012, 08:34 Alamar

Siygess wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 07:54:
Hey, can anyone direct me to a working download link for TL2? The 1.4Gb offline installer on the Torchlight 2 page hasn't worked for me since it went live last night (it's still "Starting..") and although I've heard that Perfect World have their own client I haven't been able to find it on their site, even though I bought TL2 through them.

Blast, that will teach me to buy a game elsewhere when I could have purchased it on Steam instead..

Games can still be bought outside of Steam?

The 'nice' thing about everything using Steam DRM, is that it's easy as shit to crack when it's already been done for other games... Like instant launch day easily served piracy... They don't even have to try any more heh...

Anyhow... Piracy bad...

Edit: This is one of the reasons I always thought third-party-anti-piracy was a bad idea... Crackers used to have to work hard to track down the IsThisProductValid() and change a bit/byte/etc... Some companies even put it into multiple places... But when third-party additions were added, they were more easily (and ironically) circumvented because the crackers knew precisely what to look for (and sometimes where). Anecdotally, it's something I could have excelled at, but had just about zero interest in : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2012, 08:39.

41. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 21, 2012, 08:25 Kajetan

Siygess wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 07:54:
Hey, can anyone direct me to a working download link for TL2?
Take a Bittorrent client and download the Reloaded release. And since you've already paid for the game ...

Sadly this time Runic offers no Torrent for TL2. They had an official tracker for a few weeks right after the release of TL1 to cope with the demand.

40. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 21, 2012, 07:54 Siygess

Hey, can anyone direct me to a working download link for TL2? The 1.4Gb offline installer on the Torchlight 2 page hasn't worked for me since it went live last night (it's still "Starting..") and although I've heard that Perfect World have their own client I haven't been able to find it on their site, even though I bought TL2 through them.

Blast, that will teach me to buy a game elsewhere when I could have purchased it on Steam instead..

39. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 21, 2012, 07:18 MisterBenn

I updated that quote, sorry Prez. I was alt-tabbing in and out of the game at the time...

The main thing I see with the skills is that by level 20 characters of a given class will not all be the same, there definitely seems to be scope to make different builds within a class. And you can only respec the last few points you spent so you do need to think ahead and commit yourself in a chosen direction. It's straightforward enough but it does everything well from what I've seen.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

38. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 06:47 wonkawonka

Prez wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 05:03:
I never tried Diablo 3 (nor would I given how shitty the regressive changes Blizzard has shoehorned into it sound), so I can't make a side-by-side comparison. I will say that Torchlight 2 is just about the game I wanted when Diablo 3 was announced all that time ago. I'm thrilled that Runic stepped up to fill the huge gap left by D3's immense suckitude.

Let me keep it simple for you:
Diablo 3 is a game of loot where you'll never get any if you're not a Chinese bot.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo