Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend

Steam News announces that Saints Row: The Third is on sale for 66% off, and that Volition's open-world action sequel is free to play this weekend:

This weekend only, play Saints Row: The Third for FREE until Sunday at 1pm Pacific Time. Plus, save 66% off during the Weekend Deal*!

The Third Street Saints have evolved from street gang to household brand name and their celebrity status has not gone unnoticed. The Syndicate, a legendary criminal fraternity with pawns in play all over the globe, has turned its eye on the Saints and demands tribute. Refusing to kneel to the Syndicate, you take the fight to Steelport, a once-proud metropolis reduced to a struggling city of sin under Syndicate control.

Get ready for the most out-landish gameplay scenarios as take on the Syndicate!

*Discount ends Monday at 10am Pacific Time.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 23, 2012, 04:17 J

nin wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 08:45:
J wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 07:10:
Well, now I have no excuse to not try it.

One good thing about Steam is they can have these free trial periods. It's better than a demo.

The first too missions really stand out, and you'll be hooked.

Any game that starts with the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey (crank it!) is an automatic win. :)
I wanted to like it. The variety of the missions I can't fault. I just don't see it as having replayability for me. I feel I've been through this before with the gta games and more recently sleeping dogs. Maybe at some time in the future with a deep sale, maybe.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 19:34 Prez

Verno wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 10:00:
I loved the engine improvements but SR2 was a better game in terms of story and things to do. The open world aspect of SR3 really suffered and Steelport is far less interesting than Stilwater as a result. I hope they can strike a better balance in the next game now that the engine is fully built.

I hope THQ stays afloat long enough for us to see the fourth game get released.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

21. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 16:40 HoSpanky

SR3 is the only saints row game I've played, and as you go back, they get progressively less silly. Sr1 was apparently trying to take on gta but with a heavy thug slant, sr2 added some silliness, and sr3 is just all-crazy, all-the-time. The car physics are disappointing but not terrible, and there doesn't feel like there's a whole lot to do once you finish the story, but WOOO the story is amazingly nutso.

I bought the game when it was $13 during the summer sale, along with about 10 other games. Sr3 hooked me from the start, and is one of maybe 3 games I've actually played to the end in the last 3 years. It's just great.

20. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 11:55 nin

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 11:53:
There are also lots of little touches. I was playing a female character, and my outfits varied from the starter business attire (sports jacket and turtleneck) to sloppy sweats, to at one point, a micro-miniskirt and bikini top. The NPCs often commented on her choice of clothing or lack thereof. I never walked around fully nude, but I bet if I had, they would've had something to say about that, too.

One of the meta achievements involved streaking. And as I took the default character (guy), everyone on the street would hold their hands up and try to cover their face, as I ran past...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 11:53 DeadlyAccurate

There are also lots of little touches. I was playing a female character, and my outfits varied from the starter business attire (sports jacket and turtleneck) to sloppy sweats, to at one point, a micro-miniskirt and bikini top. The NPCs often commented on her choice of clothing or lack thereof. I never walked around fully nude, but I bet if I had, they would've had something to say about that, too.  

18. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 10:00 Verno

I loved the engine improvements but SR2 was a better game in terms of story and things to do. The open world aspect of SR3 really suffered and Steelport is far less interesting than Stilwater as a result. I hope they can strike a better balance in the next game now that the engine is fully built.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

17. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 09:49 yuastnav

Definitely one of the best games I have played lately.

I just wish that they would release the fist Saints Row on PC but seeing as how financially unstable THQ is right now I guess that's not going to happen.

Oh well, at least there will be a sequel and since this game is really, really awesome it's not that likely that it's going to be cancelled since this could make them some money. Or at least I hope so.

16. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 08:45 nin

J wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 07:10:

One good thing about Steam is they can have these free trial periods. It's better than a demo.

The first too missions really stand out, and you'll be hooked.

Any game that starts with the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey (crank it!) is an automatic win.

15. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 08:30 Omni

I've had lots of fun playing this game and people that don't have it shouldn't really miss out on it BUT with BL2 and TL2 out I guess that most people are busy with other things  

14. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 07:23 gray

Prez wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 05:19:
I had a ridiculous amount of fun with SR3. It seems that too many developers forget that their game needs to be fun first. Worry about making it realistic/violent/gory/story-driven later. Not SR3 - it effervesces with funness!

"Get's the blood pumpin'... to my LOINS. OHHHHH!"

THIS! Most modern AAA devs seem to have lost sight of the point of a game. Hence the gap in the market that the indie revolution has filled!

13. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 07:10 J

12. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 06:44 wonkawonka

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 05:36:
I had a ridiculous amount of fun with SR3. It seems that too many developers forget that their game needs to be fun first. Worry about making it realistic/violent/gory/story-driven later. Not SR3 - it effervesces with funness!
Too True!

+100 !!!
Compare how one gets out of his house and into the world:
Skyrim: open the door, walk out.
SR3: push a half-naked gimp out of the way, dive into the pool and get out on the other side, run to the edge of the helipad and jump out, open the chute at the last instant while angling towards an old lady whose back you'll break when landing, hijack a car and then you're ready to go.

11. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 05:36 netnerd85

Too True!

10. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 05:19 Prez

"Get's the blood pumpin'... to my LOINS. OHHHHH!"

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

9. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 20, 2012, 23:29 Rhino

I keep returning to it for another playthrough. I don't even do anything drastically differently or discover anything particularly new... it's just a hell of a lot of fun, and, much like a favourite movie, I enjoy diving back in every now and again.  

8. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 20, 2012, 21:47 nin

The humor is funny and twisted and at times crude. But the real surprise to me was how high the game's quality is. I can honestly say it's in my top 5 games of at least the last two years.

I agree. I went in with very low expectations and had a blast. It, Human Revolution, and Skyrim were my favs of 2011.

I really really hope THQ says alive long enough to ship 4 next year (and that it's not compromised).

7. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 20, 2012, 21:42 DeadlyAccurate

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 21:33:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 20:29:
Bleh, wish I had the time. Been meaning to check this out. Everyone speaks so highly of it.

Just grab it one of these days. So worth it, especially at this price. Nothing helps you decompress like beating up an old lady with a giant purple dildo.

A particular moment that stands out to me was when my husband and I were running around in the game, and he saw a building he wanted to purchase. He leaped out of the car, ran toward the building at full speed, and to my surprise, leaped into the air to WWE body-slam an elderly woman who happened to be near the purchase icon to the ground. It was so unexpected I laughed until I cried.

The humor is funny and twisted and at times crude. But the real surprise to me was how high the game's quality is. I can honestly say it's in my top 5 games of at least the last two years.

6. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 20, 2012, 21:36 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 21:33:
Bleh, wish I had the time. Been meaning to check this out. Everyone speaks so highly of it.

Just grab it one of these days. So worth it, especially at this price. Nothing helps you decompress like beating up an old lady with a giant purple dildo.

And there's our box quote! Jester

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 20, 2012, 21:33 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

4. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 20, 2012, 21:27 Rattlehead

Can't beat $13 for a game like this.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo