Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report

French site Le Journal du Gamer has what they claim are details on Half-Life 3, saying these come by way of what our machine translation says they call "a trusted source who wishes to remain anonymous." The report is fairly insubstantial, offering obvious details like this will be a shooter with puzzle elements, has had a chaotic development cycle, and that is expected sometime after 2013, which is what we'd also expect to hear from untrusted sources who don't care about anonymity. The one aspect of this that is not predictable is the claim that Half-Life 3 is being planned as an open-world game with some RPG elements. Thanks MCV.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 13:39 sauron

Wildone wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 11:49:
Whats more insulting is the french got this info first..

"There is nothing lower than the human race...except for the French."
- Mark Twain 1878-79

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 13:18 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 13:15:
If Valve didn't have Steam to fall back on they prolly would be long gone by now.

I doubt it, they would likely just be doing more incubation with products and developers. They've had several multi-million sales products, no reason to believe they would be anything but very successful.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

24. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 13:18 Creston

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 12:59:
It's equally amazing to me how companies with zero project management, Valve and Blizzard for example stay in business.

Well, Steam's one billion dollars revenue a year and World of Warcraft's 150 million dollars a month revenues may have something to do with that.

Creston

23. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 13:15 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 13:14:

It's equally amazing to me how companies with zero project management, Valve and Blizzard for example stay in business.

Would you really want a valve product on based on some managers dictated timeframe?

Hell, Blizzard can't get it right half the time even when they do take forever...

That's exactly what I'm saying though Nin, it shouldn't take 10 years to put a single game out that's worth it. D3 is the perfect example of that.

If Valve didn't have Steam to fall back on they prolly would be long gone by now.

22. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 13:14 nin

Would you really want a valve product on based on some managers dictated timeframe?

Hell, Blizzard can't get it right half the time even when they do take forever...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 13:06 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 12:59:
Why even bother with Ep 3 at this point? It's been how many years? So much for that whole "episodic content is the way of the future shorter dev cycles blah blah blah bs" crap that Gabe was spewing out back when they announced it in the first place.

They won't, it will just be Half-Life 3 most likely. Gabe has also said several times that episodic gaming was a failure and he's right, only one company has really done it well. It was an idea that failed, games unfortunately require a lot of polish and time to nurture even if you aren't Valve and have your own time standard. Rather than continually ding them for that failure until the end of time, I just accept that they tried and failed, have the humility to admit it and moved onto other things in the meantime

They release good products and have brands people like, there's no mystery involved. I don't really care whether they personally sweated blood and tears to make it or not before anyone goes there, I just want to have a good time.

20. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 12:59 RollinThundr

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 12:47:
TheEmissary wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 12:33:
I don't think Valve would shake up Half-Life in that way without experimenting with it. Valve tends to experiment with new game mechanics before they put them in practice and we haven't seen anything remotely open world from them yet.

They could do it with Episode 3 first. Episode 2 already had somewhat open-ended objectives in a very large area.

Why even bother with Ep 3 at this point? It's been how many years? So much for that whole "episodic content is the way of the future shorter dev cycles blah blah blah bs" crap that Gabe was spewing out back when they announced it in the first place.

19. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 12:52 TheEmissary

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 12:47:
I don't think Valve would shake up Half-Life in that way without experimenting with it. Valve tends to experiment with new game mechanics before they put them in practice and we haven't seen anything remotely open world from them yet.

They could do it with Episode 3 first. Episode 2 already had somewhat open-ended objectives in a very large area.

It is one thing to have conditional requirements or branches to the plot and another to make it in to a sandbox game like Fallout or Skyrim. Doing this would fundamentally change how Valve tells the Half-Life story. I don't think they are going to radically change it now. I can see them trying in the future on a new game once they are done with Gordon's story arc.

18. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 12:47 Tanto Edge

Yep. Shocking  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

17. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 12:47 jacobvandy

16. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 12:39 Veinman

I hear the next Pac-Man has dots that you eat.  

15. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 12:33 TheEmissary

I don't think any one really expects Half-Life 3 out this year or even next year. Valve lives in their own time continuum and only interacts with us on their own time.

I call BS on the french site for a number of reasons. One is neither Valve or Gabe Newell have even officially announced Half-Life 3. Two would be thinking that HL3 would be a open world/sandbox shooter. I don't think Valve would shake up Half-Life in that way without experimenting with it. Valve tends to experiment with new game mechanics before they put them in practice and we haven't seen anything remotely open world from them yet.

14. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 12:29 Jerykk

An open-world HL3 could be interesting. I imagine you'd need to liberate different areas from the Combine, growing the resistance in the process until you amass a large enough army to take the fight to the Combine homeworld.  

13. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 12:28 MajorD

nin wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 11:33:
MajorD wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 11:30:
This is starting to remind me of the iPhone where the media theories, predictions, and hype end up being the stronger marketing campaign.

Regardless, Gordon Freeman is alive, and Half-Life 3 will not disappoint. <<<<There's more theories and predictions to add the the pile. Wink

Of course Gordon's alive. He has to eventually get old enough (and travel back) to be The G-Man.

Hmmmmmm Thinking2

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2012, 12:50.

12. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 12:27 JayDeath

Again, I don't need HL3. Just give us Ep. 3!

Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

11. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 12:13 NegaDeath

Plus 1 year for when their servers get hacked and they go incommunicado.  

10. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 12:03 Prez

They are so full of it. They got nothin'.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 11:55 Techie714 ©

This is not news....  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

8. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 11:51 Verno

Wildone wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 11:49:

Just remember, Freedom Fries.

7. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 11:49 Wildone

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo