Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report

French site Le Journal du Gamer has what they claim are details on Half-Life 3, saying these come by way of what our machine translation says they call "a trusted source who wishes to remain anonymous." The report is fairly insubstantial, offering obvious details like this will be a shooter with puzzle elements, has had a chaotic development cycle, and that is expected sometime after 2013, which is what we'd also expect to hear from untrusted sources who don't care about anonymity. The one aspect of this that is not predictable is the claim that Half-Life 3 is being planned as an open-world game with some RPG elements. Thanks MCV.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 22, 2012, 07:33 Fantaz

Sepharo wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 22:08:
I still maintain my only prediction concerning HL3: Valve wants it to be revolutionary.

I think that fits well with a new peripheral/VR/AR and a Steam console.

Half-Life 3D?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 21, 2012, 22:08 Sepharo

I still maintain my only prediction concerning HL3: Valve wants it to be revolutionary.

I think that fits well with a new peripheral/VR/AR and a Steam console.

44. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 21, 2012, 10:11 rist3903

I am willing to believe that Half-Life 3 won't be coming out next year. That is about it though, from these guys.

43. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 21, 2012, 05:27 Fantaz

Riker wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 17:06:
Sincerely, I don't understand why something like this would get posted here.

For Blue's twist on the headline.

42. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 17:48 theyarecomingforyou

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 15:57:
I think this may turn into one of those games that's been in development so long that it will only disappoint anyone who plays it.
I thought that about Black Mesa Source but that turned out to be exceptional!

Personally I'd be surprised if Half-Life 3 wasn't more open-world than the previous games. Don't forget that Half-Life 2 added physics and vehicles, which were a huge departure from the previous game. Obviously I don't think it's going to suddenly become like Skyrim and I don't think that text menus listing mission objectives would be in keeping with the Half-Life universe but Far Cry 2 managed to provide more flexible missions without breaking immersion and Valve is certainly creative enough to do something better.

While I have zero confidence in this rumour being true I also don't have much reason to doubt it, as it sounds plausible.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

41. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 17:35 CJ_Parker

I think this may turn into one of those games that's been in development so long that it will only disappoint anyone who plays it.

/agree

... unless the Skyrim-like open world stuff is true. FarCry and Crysis in all their incarnations have been rather half-assed attempts at bringing more openness to the shooter genre. A real state-of-the-art open world shooter could be quite interesting if done well.
They'd need to pay attention to not adding too much RPG-ness to it though or it may end up feeling like a HL mod for Fallout 3 or FNV. It probably should be more like Just Cause 2 but more serious and with more refined mechanics, a better and more coherent story and more memorable characters to create a unique open world atmosphere.

40. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 17:07 TheEmissary

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 16:24:

Keep in mind there was 6 years between HL1 and 2 and it turned out great. We're at 5 years since Episode 2 now.

Not to mention the 7-8 year gap between TFC and TF2. It will be out when they think it is ready.

39. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 17:06 Riker

Sincerely, I don't understand why something like this would get posted here.  

38. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 16:24 NegaDeath

Keep in mind there was 6 years between HL1 and 2 and it turned out great. We're at 5 years since Episode 2 now.

37. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 16:06 Dev

Optional nickname wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 15:58:
It's blatantly obvious Gabe wants his new console out, with Steambox on all media devices, including digital signage, to be ready, to lay out this new foundation, before introducing HL3 to all that , hell why not stop there and peg it to models wearing Google Glass eyewear and watch them trip on the catwalk runway, lol.

Then Gabe will have 900 Billion Dollars to finally buy EA and dissolve it to Kingdom Come.

/Valve Business plan 2013 NDA

serious business , the gaming industry, it will be a bloodsport come late this decade.
Pretty sure valve doesn't have a business plan.

Also, I think the hardware stuff (which ended up being new controller research) and big picture mode makes people think they are entering console market. I don't think they are. I could see them doing a branded PC with an attempt at console like simpleness, especially if MS continues on the path to crazy town with win 8 and beyond.

36. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 16:04 SectorEffector

sadly that demographic always exists, along with user reviews on metacritic "great game, great graphics, great story, but the main hero is lame 0/10"

Hopefully it's not everyone I'm looking up to optimistic blues newsers to welcome it with open arms along with crestons eventual review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

35. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 16:01 Jackplug

yawn, more speculation on rumours. What's next on the conspiricy treadmill on hype and mystery??  

34. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 15:58 Optional nickname

It's blatantly obvious Gabe wants his new console out, with Steambox on all media devices, including digital signage, to be ready, to lay out this new foundation, before introducing HL3 to all that , hell why not stop there and peg it to models wearing Google Glass eyewear and watch them trip on the catwalk runway, lol.

Then Gabe will have 900 Billion Dollars to finally buy EA and dissolve it to Kingdom Come.

/Valve Business plan 2013 NDA

serious business , the gaming industry, it will be a bloodsport come late this decade.

33. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 15:57 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

32. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 15:05 Matshock

Jerykk wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 12:29:
An open-world HL3 could be interesting. I imagine you'd need to liberate different areas from the Combine, growing the resistance in the process until you amass a large enough army to take the fight to the Combine homeworld.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto is one of my all time favs.

That would be a lot to work into the story though now that they've added the Aperture Science angle. I guess they could still take the story in any direction though.

I just want combat with portal guns more than anything else.

31. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 14:53 DangerDog

I was really hoping it would be an RTS this time.  

30. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 14:51 Cutter

This article is correct. It's coming!!! Remember this day you swine!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

29. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 14:44 AngelicPenguin

nin wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 13:14:

It's equally amazing to me how companies with zero project management, Valve and Blizzard for example stay in business.

Would you really want a valve product on based on some managers dictated timeframe?

Hell, Blizzard can't get it right half the time even when they do take forever...

I know, working in the software industry and hearing someone refer to project managers in a positive light is amusing.

28. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 13:44 sauron

Wildone wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 11:49:
Whats more insulting is the french got this info first..

Also this:

Al Bundy: "Oh, sure, our rights are not important? Anything a woman says is fine with us? Gee, when did men become such losers? It used to be so great to be a man. Women were there to please us. They'd look after the kids and we'd go out and have a good time. That's the natural order of things. What happened, Steve? I'll tell you what happened, Steve. Somebody told women they should start enjoying sex, too. That was the beginning of the end. Now they like it but it's work for us. Everything's work for us. It's this equallity thing, it's killing us. You know who I blame?"

Steve: "The French?"

[ Al nods his agreement ]

- Married with Children

Kittens!

27. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 13:41 Acleacius

I still say we're not going to be playing Gordon this time. As other heroes in the world, WHO might come across Gordon during the game. Much in the same way they tied Portal to HL.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo