Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battle.net Adding "Appear Offline" Mode

The Diablo III Website announces that a pretty basic feature is soon being added to Battle.net; the ability to appear offline. This will actually be patched into each game individually, starting with the upcoming version 1.0.5 patch for Diablo III:

In the coming months, we're planning an update to Battle.net that will give you more control over your online presence when playing Blizzard games. Soon, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III players will be able to select "Appear Offline" as one of their Battle.net social-status options (along with Available, Busy, and Away) for those times when they want to wander Azeroth by their lonesome, dominate the galaxy in radio silence, or slay demons in solitude. When you choose this option as your status, all of your Real ID friends, BattleTag friends, and character-level friends will see you as “Offline” in their friends list whenever you’re logged into a game.

The “Appear Offline” status option will be added to World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III separately in future updates for each game. For Diablo III, we expect to add the feature in a patch after 1.0.5. For World of Warcraft and StarCraft II, we expect to add the option sometime after the release of each game’s upcoming expansion.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 21, 2012, 15:30 nin

keithnyc wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 15:25:
Old news. This was implemented a week after D3 went live. All my friends appear offline.

See, now that's a quality post!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Battle.net Adding "Appear Offline" Mode Sep 21, 2012, 15:25 Texas Jake

Old news. This was implemented a week after D3 went live. All my friends appear offline.  

41. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 21, 2012, 11:09 BobBob

El Pit wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 00:39:
WHAT?! But you can be logged in to Steam AND "appear offline" since the first life forms left the sea. What are you talking about?

Wondering the same exact thing.

40. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 21, 2012, 09:38 Verno

Alamar wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 08:51:
This has half worked on Steam for ages...

Just the other (work) day, I went offline in my steam friends list, and they couldn't see me playing Borderlands 2... Too bad my boss saw the achievements I got : )

-Alamar

The trouble is that going "offline" in friends disables all community related functionality (MP basically) in several Steamworks games. What he wants is an Appear Offline toggle that doesn't also disable any functionality.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

39. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 21, 2012, 08:51 Alamar

Bhruic wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 21:22:
The sad thing is that as slow as they were to implement this, and as minor a feature it is, they are still adding this functionality before Steam is. Seriously Valve, how hard would it be to put this in place?

This has half worked on Steam for ages...

Just the other (work) day, I went offline in my steam friends list, and they couldn't see me playing Borderlands 2... Too bad my boss saw the achievements I got : )

-Alamar

38. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 21, 2012, 07:11 SM0k3

Bhruic wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 06:52:
WHAT?! But you can be logged in to Steam AND "appear offline" since the first life forms left the sea. What are you talking about?

No, you can be logged into Steam and be offline. You can't appear offline. Appearing offline allows you to continue to monitor your friends list, communicate while "offline" with a specific person if you choose to, etc. Steam does none of those things. If you choose "offline", that's what happens, you go offline. No viewing your friends list, and definitely no communications with anyone.

They should just call it "Invisible" to avoid confusion then.

37. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 21, 2012, 06:52 Bhruic

No, you can be logged into Steam and be offline. You can't appear offline. Appearing offline allows you to continue to monitor your friends list, communicate while "offline" with a specific person if you choose to, etc. Steam does none of those things. If you choose "offline", that's what happens, you go offline. No viewing your friends list, and definitely no communications with anyone.

36. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 21, 2012, 06:48 rist3903

The reason I stopped playing Starcraft II was because of this. People would get on and start talking to me while I was playing a game and I could not respond to them while the game was paused. the game had to be in motion to be able to chat for some reason. It was utter bullshit.

35. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 21, 2012, 05:28 Fantaz

This is pretty useful for account sharing.  

34. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 21, 2012, 00:39 El Pit

Bhruic wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 21:22:
The sad thing is that as slow as they were to implement this, and as minor a feature it is, they are still adding this functionality before Steam is. Seriously Valve, how hard would it be to put this in place?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

33. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 20, 2012, 23:10 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 17:24:
Blizzard Logic - You always have to be online to appear offline.

HorrorScope wins the thread for the most elegant summary of the entire Blizzard retardedness.

Creston

32. Re: Battle.net Adding "Appear Offline" Mode Sep 20, 2012, 21:58 SM0k3

thank god for TL2  

31. Re: Battle.net Adding "Appear Offline" Mode Sep 20, 2012, 21:22 Bhruic

30. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 20, 2012, 20:43 BobBob

Here is a great guide on using the Diablo 3 offline mode:

http://tinyurl.com/d3offlinemode

29. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 20, 2012, 20:26 deqer

BobBob wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 20:13:
Speaking off-line was there a problem with BluesNews today? I couldn't refresh for awhile.
Yes, it was down for about an hour. Pretty bad.

28. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 20, 2012, 20:13 BobBob

Speaking off-line was there a problem with BluesNews today? I couldn't refresh for awhile.  

27. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 20, 2012, 17:25 Julio

I'm going to 'appear' to buy the D3 DLC and D4. But I won't really.  

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 20, 2012, 17:24 HorrorScope

Blizzard Logic - You always have to be online to appear offline.  

25. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 20, 2012, 16:32 deqer

Verno wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 15:22:
I think you're being optimistic, I totally expect Blizzard to embrace the console in a big way at some point. Millions of sales and your fans will tolerate pretty much any abuse, publishers wet dream. I'm assuming the only thing holding that back is battle.net.
Why the **** does your signature not have Torchlight 2 in it?

24. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 20, 2012, 16:22 sauron

TheEmissary wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 13:21:
This is really just a feature to stop people from getting pestered by their guild when they're supposed to be raiding but don't feel like it / are drunk...

Fixed that for ya. Everyone who's ever raided knows this is the real reason.

Kittens!

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo