Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 21, 2012, 09:52 Ant

Quboid wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 15:05:
Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 14:50:
Quboid wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 11:07:
Edit: Anyway, it's your own fault if you have a shitty ISP in Canada. It's because you're too lazy to shop around - right, Cutter?

It certainly is seeing I've been with mine for 10 years and even though they're raised rates a few times they haven't raised mine because they appreciate my bidness. 5mpbs/1mbps down/up, NO bandwith/data caps, $30 clams per month. And those sorts of ISPs exist in all provinces across the country. So suck it, Trebek. Suck it long. Suck it hard.

Just because you have options doesn't mean others do.
Ditto. My home areas have limited options too.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 21, 2012, 05:13 dj LiTh

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 08:53:
Thats a pretty good deal And yeah, I specifically didn't mention the "new contract" rebates which are insanely competitive aswell for nearly 2 years the actual bill was 20 (1&1)

What's your provider if I may ask?

Ah.. cable yeah.. I have no experience with cable (apparently I have a potential cable line here as well) ... I kinda like my DSL i got here (ping on UK/French/GErman servers around 10 to 20ms.. and that's pretty good. At telekom it was more around 50 to 70

My provider is www.kabelbw.de, that coupled /w usenet and i'm always pulling between 28-38mbps (even though my plan is for 30).

11. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 21, 2012, 02:10 Cutter

Dades wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 22:58:

He seems to think the world begins and ends at his doorstep.

Ok, find me any city in Canada where that's not the deal. My god you people are lazy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 20, 2012, 22:58 Dades

He seems to think the world begins and ends at his doorstep.

9. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 20, 2012, 15:05 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 14:50:
Edit: Anyway, it's your own fault if you have a shitty ISP in Canada. It's because you're too lazy to shop around - right, Cutter?

It certainly is seeing I've been with mine for 10 years and even though they're raised rates a few times they haven't raised mine because they appreciate my bidness. 5mpbs/1mbps down/up, NO bandwith/data caps, $30 clams per month. And those sorts of ISPs exist in all provinces across the country. So suck it, Trebek. Suck it long. Suck it hard.

- Quboid

8. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 20, 2012, 14:50 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 20, 2012, 11:07 Quboid

gray wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 07:44:
Likewise in the UK, we're talking 24mb for 15-20 with no caps (caps virtually unheard of). It's amazing to read these stories from our friends across the pond.

I just signed up with a new ISP 10 minutes ago - they all had caps, every one I checked. This is for FTTC VDSL, not ADSL, perhaps that's why.

I went with Xilo and got 125GB peak / 400GB off-peak for 41/m. That's a supposedly 80Mb/20Mb connection (I expect to actually get about 55Mb/15Mb) so I'm happy enough, but from my experience of this part of the UK market, caps are now inevitable.

- Quboid

6. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 20, 2012, 08:53 eRe4s3r

Thats a pretty good deal And yeah, I specifically didn't mention the "new contract" rebates which are insanely competitive aswell for nearly 2 years the actual bill was 20 (1&1)

What's your provider if I may ask?

Ah.. cable yeah.. I have no experience with cable (apparently I have a potential cable line here as well) ... I kinda like my DSL i got here (ping on UK/French/GErman servers around 10 to 20ms.. and that's pretty good. At telekom it was more around 50 to 70

5. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 20, 2012, 08:23 dj LiTh

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 05:38:
Just wanna throw this in, but I get a 6mbit DLS connection + phone/internet flatrate with 0 caps for 30 and when I say 0 caps I mean in a month = 460gb transfer, with 100gb upload and not even a letter from my ISP.

Realize that this is not the best offer (in a city it'd be 25). I can not fathom how in Canadians allow their ISP's to rip them off that much. In Germany the prices are very competitive... at least where you can get cable/dsl/adsl2+

I could for 35 upgade to 16mbit without cap, but 5 more for barely 3 times as fast is not gonna happen.

In germany where i'm at we're paying 29euro for phone/cable/internet for 30mbit uncapped. For 39 we can upgrade to 100mbit (uncapped). When we signed up they gave us a 100 euro credit as well.

4. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 20, 2012, 07:44 gray

Likewise in the UK, we're talking 24mb for 15-20 with no caps (caps virtually unheard of). It's amazing to read these stories from our friends across the pond.  

3. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 20, 2012, 05:38 eRe4s3r

Just wanna throw this in, but I get a 6mbit DLS connection + phone/internet flatrate with 0 caps for 30 and when I say 0 caps I mean in a month = 460gb transfer, with 100gb upload and not even a letter from my ISP.

Realize that this is not the best offer (in a city it'd be 25). I can not fathom how in Canadians allow their ISP's to rip them off that much. In Germany the prices are very competitive... at least where you can get cable/dsl/adsl2+

I could for 35 upgade to 16mbit without cap, but 5 more for barely 3 times as fast is not gonna happen.

2. Re: Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 20, 2012, 05:29 Julio

Great article on the caps.  

1. Modem off? Get Charged for Usage by Cogeco Anyway Sep 20, 2012, 00:27 jdreyer

O Canada, why doth thy ISPs sucketh so badly?

(Although it sounds like at least one US ISP had similar issues).

Favorite comment:

It's still the user's fault

Everyone knows consumers will lie about the meters being broken; so it's the user's fault.

ISPs are corporations and corps need to look out for their own interests; so it's the user's fault.

ISPs can't be expected to own up to every little technology glitch on their watch; so it's the user's fault.

The meters can't work properly Because Torrenting; so it's the user's fault.

Heavy handed government regulation causes untenable problems; so it's the user's fault.

Did I get all of them?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo