Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Game Reviews Sep 20, 2012, 20:51 Sepharo

InBlack wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 07:20:
I got HL2 in my Steam Library (among other Source games), but I cant seem to find Black Mesa. Typing Black Mesa in Steam's search brings up nothing. Can someone please tell me where I can download this mod?

You need to restart if you haven't already. Even after I restarted when I did a search it didn't show up immediately. I found it in the list with alphabetical order and then after I clicked on it I tried the search functionality again and this time it worked. They must be doing the search indexing weird.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Game Reviews Sep 20, 2012, 16:56 Matshock

I finished it last night. It's a great mod- I 'll leave it at that.  

11. Re: Game Reviews Sep 20, 2012, 10:42 mch

First make sure to download the Source SDK 2007 (under tools).

Then, while Black Mesa actually got accepted under Steam's Greenlight, I don't think it's available there yet. You'll need to download it (torrent is probably fastest) from release.blackmesasource.com/

Once it installs, it'll be available in your Steam library.

PSN: CaseDesignate

10. Re: Game Reviews Sep 20, 2012, 07:20 InBlack

I got HL2 in my Steam Library (among other Source games), but I cant seem to find Black Mesa. Typing Black Mesa in Steam's search brings up nothing. Can someone please tell me where I can download this mod?  

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Game Reviews Sep 19, 2012, 22:13 Dades

Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 15:44:
Yeah, after all this time BM is a pretty huge letdown. 6+ years for what exactly?

It was more like 8 years but it was 8 years for a bunch of people in different countries around the world to do this as a mod in their free time. For what exactly? Remake one of the best games of all time in an entirely different engine as a hobby project.

8. Re: Game Reviews Sep 19, 2012, 20:51 Sepharo

I've played through HL1 3 or 4 times but playing Black Mesa I find myself wondering, "Is this a new area?" all the time. I'm really enjoying it.

I guess Steam doesn't track time played for mods but I'm probably over 5 hours and only just got "We've got hostiles." Mostly because of spamming the scientists in the intro and then quicksave/quickload like crazy during combat because "I lost 3 health?! I can do that better!"

7. Re: Game Reviews Sep 19, 2012, 18:48 fatguy

Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 15:44:
Yeah, after all this time BM is a pretty huge letdown. 6+ years for what exactly?

An amazingly done remake of one of the best games ever made. If you like the original game then saying this let you down is just stupid. It's almost exactly the same but shinier. Oh this monster does 10 less damage and this badguy has better aim than in the original? WORTHLESS

Gimme some 60$ mediocrity pleaaaase.

6. Re: Game Reviews Sep 19, 2012, 15:44 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Game Reviews Sep 19, 2012, 15:33 Yosemite Sam

Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 14:35:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 13:07:
I got as far as "We've got Hostiles" before I realized that I didn't think anything of value had really been added and that I'd rather just play HL1 again, which is what I've been doing. Black Mesa isn't bad, per se, but it just feels unnecessary -- you can't really improve on what was a perfect shooter.

That's weird because I thought they managed to do exactly that - bring Half-Life 1 to modern times without compromising what made it great. Pretty much all of my fond memories from the original are there and well implemented in a much better visual package. They also managed to make some subtle additions that fit well, it's pretty much win-win as far as I'm concerned. Still can't believe they did this for free in their spare time too, the level of polish is staggering for a fan mod.

I disagree somewhat, I'm a little disappointed, parts of BM just dont have the same feel as the original. I didnt get that sense that the military was really out to get me in On A Rail like the original and there was no sense of the military starting to lose the war before they bug out at the end of Surface Tension. The HECUs are way overpowered, long range aimbot, and the Vorts and Bullsquids attacks are so weak that they are not a threat. Everything else was done perfectly, the maps are absolutely fantastic.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

4. Re: Game Reviews Sep 19, 2012, 14:40 ASeven

First stellar review for T2 comes out.

And I'm having quite some fun in Black Mesa. It's easy to forget that HL1 was one of the best survival games out there and Black Mesa nails that aspect of the game.

3. Re: Game Reviews Sep 19, 2012, 14:35 Verno

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 13:07:
I got as far as "We've got Hostiles" before I realized that I didn't think anything of value had really been added and that I'd rather just play HL1 again, which is what I've been doing. Black Mesa isn't bad, per se, but it just feels unnecessary -- you can't really improve on what was a perfect shooter.

That's weird because I thought they managed to do exactly that - bring Half-Life 1 to modern times without compromising what made it great. Pretty much all of my fond memories from the original are there and well implemented in a much better visual package. They also managed to make some subtle additions that fit well, it's pretty much win-win as far as I'm concerned. Still can't believe they did this for free in their spare time too, the level of polish is staggering for a fan mod.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

2. Re: Game Reviews Sep 19, 2012, 13:07 Scottish Martial Arts

1. Re: Game Reviews Sep 19, 2012, 12:36 Matshock

I'm about 85% through Black Mesa- if it weren't free I'd be complaining about crash bugs in the later maps.

I had to shoot down the helicopter 4 times before I got through without a crash and I took a break last night when I bombed the berkerker and the game crashed.

But overall it's a pretty enjoyable remake. They better grab Charlie Sheen for the movie before he goes on another bender.

EDIT: I forgot that the monster in Blast Pit was essentially nonfunctional according to the standards of the original.

Maybe other folks will come along and help patch it up to the master homage this deserves to be.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2012, 12:53.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo