Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup

Today sees the North American release of Borderlands 2, and Gearbox Software's role-playing shooter sequel should now be in stores and is also available via GameStop PC Downloads and Steam. Reviews for the game are also now rolling in, and as of this writing it currently enjoys an 88 review average on Metacritic and an 8.8 user score. You can find individual reviews of the return to Pandora on Ars Technica, AtomicGamer, Computer and Video Games, Destructoid, DVICE, Eurogamer, GameSpy, GameStar.de (in German), Giant Bomb, IGN, Kotaku, Latimes.com, PC Gamer, PCMag.com, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Shacknews, USATODAY.com, VentureBeat, and Worthplaying. Also, apparently they've been mixing Red Bull and NoDoze at IGN video, as they offer a 40-part video walkthrough of the game.

View
141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

141. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 26, 2012, 12:40 descender

It's pretty pathetic.

Constantly whining about steams lack of downtime? Yes, that is certainly "pathetic".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

140. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 25, 2012, 12:28 theyarecomingforyou

Quinn wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 03:21:
Please enlighten me regarding loot!

How come that it's a "finders keepers" system in Borderlands? I started playing with a friend of mine and before he knew it, I snatched the first shotgun drop away before his eyes. Afterward he looted an entire contained full of weapons while I was down there somewhere trying to survive an onslaught!?
Yeah, it's really annoying that some things are shared (money, ammo, Eridium) while others aren't (weapons, shields, class-mods) - it encourages running off in battle to explore chests and promotes selfish behaviour. I'd rather they opted for a Diablo III style system where every player has their own loot. It means you pretty much only want to play with friends and family, as otherwise it gets tedious. It's the biggest criticism I have of the game and I'm annoyed that they didn't change it - at the very least they should have a Want-Need-Pass system so that all players get a chance of picking up decent items.

Oh, and Steam has suffered yet another spectacular outage - the user count has dropped to zero on the official stats and the forums and Steam Community are offline. It's pretty pathetic. I love Steam but Valve really needs to sort this shit out.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

139. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 25, 2012, 03:21 Quinn

Please enlighten me regarding loot!

How come that it's a "finders keepers" system in Borderlands? I started playing with a friend of mine and before he knew it, I snatched the first shotgun drop away before his eyes. Afterward he looted an entire contained full of weapons while I was down there somewhere trying to survive an onslaught!?

Now, luckily we have Skype and are RL best mates so we shared guns fairly but how can this system work with random players?

Seriously can somebody please explain? Is there some unwritten rule about this that people follow? Like not attacking a jedi with his lightsaber off in Jedi Outcast's FFA (sigh.. good times..)?

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

138. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 24, 2012, 19:49 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 11:27:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 20:50:
Got 2 Blue rockets from Moxxi's slots in 3 pulls, one corrosive and one electric. Both do over 1500 damage (I am level 10). I have not lost any money on those things....

With those the mission I am struggling with will be a walk in the park.

Holy hell! Got a purple elec SMG that rips through those bots like butter. Also got a elec sniper rifle that, when zoomed, fires like a machine gun, and goes through your ammo in no time.

Between those two, freeing Roland was easy. Guess it's all about the drops, as if I hadn't had those two, I could see it being a bit more difficult.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2012, 20:03.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

137. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 24, 2012, 16:13 descender

So you went with the First person diablo clone instead of the top down diablo clone?  

136. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 24, 2012, 11:11 Quinn

Realized I'm done with Diablo and its clones. "It's a genre of the past" was the realization that came to me.

Went for Borderlands 2. Installing it now. Hope it's good!!!!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

135. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 23, 2012, 11:27 SpectralMeat

Got 2 Blue rockets from Moxxi's slots in 3 pulls, one corrosive and one electric. Both do over 1500 damage (I am level 10). I have not lost any money on those things....

With those the mission I am struggling with will be a walk in the park.

Steam: SpectralMeat

134. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 23, 2012, 06:17 Quinn

I'm itching to buy this game, but I told myself to choose between Borderlands 2 or Torchlight 2.

The problem in both cases is that I don't have any Steam friends, because I've only started using it basically since Skyrim (before Skyrim I thought Steam was still the same pile of shit I once thought it was).

I have 2 questions for this community:

1. Can EU players play with US players and do you need to have the players as friends in order to do so?
2. If you had to choose between Torchlight 2 or Borderlands 2, which one would you choose if price difference didn't matter and you love both genres as much?

Yeah 'tis a big dilemma for me. On the verge of buying both but need to safe up for next year's Route 66 vacation. ^^

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

133. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 23, 2012, 02:46 xXBatmanXx

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 23, 2012, 01:20:
I love the slot machines. In co-op we hit two eridium jackpots earlier tonight (the triple one where you win 16 eridium and they come flying out of the machine), as well as a few decent weapons (most are junk though). Overall we lost money but the extra customisation unlocks and eridium were more than worth it. Great fun.

Sweet. Yea, when we had 3 players I was getting better hits on the machine. I have been using all my E for more slots, as I am carrying around one of each type of weapons just in case.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

132. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 23, 2012, 01:20 theyarecomingforyou

I love the slot machines. In co-op we hit two eridium jackpots earlier tonight (the triple one where you win 16 eridium and they come flying out of the machine), as well as a few decent weapons (most are junk though). Overall we lost money but the extra customisation unlocks and eridium were more than worth it. Great fun.

131. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 22, 2012, 20:50 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

130. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 22, 2012, 12:00 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 05:41:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 22:37:
I have a level 10, level 10, and level 6, and I haven't found any corrosive weapons yet. 15+ hours in the game. Having a blast. I carry 2 shottys, 1 fire and 1 explosive. 1 fire sniper and 1 nice handgun with +50% melee for my assassin.

You did not get to the mission I was talking about it will come up at lvl 12-13. Corrosive weapons are pretty rare. I am working on side missions atm trying to level up and collect weapons so I can take another run at that mission.

If you can catch me on, I'll be happy to try and assist, but I need a couple more levels first. Also, how much help I'll actually be is certainly up for debate.

Hope to be on tonight for a bit, but I have 3 million errands to run around town today first.

So a psycho marauder comes running up to me to melee me, and he yells, and I quote: "You are going to be my new meat bicycle!"

I... what? How would that even work?

I would advise you not to drop anything, or bend over and pick up anything...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

129. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 22, 2012, 11:59 Creston

So a psycho marauder comes running up to me to melee me, and he yells, and I quote: "You are going to be my new meat bicycle!"

I... what? How would that even work?

Creston

128. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 22, 2012, 05:41 SpectralMeat

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 22:37:
I have a level 10, level 10, and level 6, and I haven't found any corrosive weapons yet. 15+ hours in the game. Having a blast. I carry 2 shottys, 1 fire and 1 explosive. 1 fire sniper and 1 nice handgun with +50% melee for my assassin.

You did not get to the mission I was talking about it will come up at lvl 12-13. Corrosive weapons are pretty rare. I am working on side missions atm trying to level up and collect weapons so I can take another run at that mission.

127. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 22, 2012, 02:29 Creston

Corrosive is the most rare element to find on a gun, because it has no weaknesses. Other than a few of Crawmerax's minions, nothing is immune to acid, and it does extra damage across the board.

Once you get past level 10 or so, keep an electric weapon around. When you come onto that boss with the big ass shield, you'll be glad you did.

In fact, in BL2 I'm carrying a LOT more spare weapons that I used to. In BL it'd be my 4 guns and then 1 spare. Here I've got 3 guns (still need to unlock the 4th slot), and I'm carrying 5 spares. They're all useful in certain situations, and a few I carry just because I tend to run out of ammo for certain weapons, so I like switching over to rarely used guns so I can get some use out of all the ammo I'm carrying.

Creston

126. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 21, 2012, 23:19 theyarecomingforyou

By LV12-14 I had a corrosive rocket launcher, though in general corrosive weapons are pretty rare.

In terms of frequency (most to least) I've found it to be:

Fire > Explosive > Electric > Corrosive > Slag

I've got a slag sniper rifle and it's absolutely lethal, as it's combined with +120% Critical Hit Damage. They're definitely worth looking out for.

I've got LV17, LV16 and LV10 characters, covering three different classes. I'm maintaining two different co-op games and a singleplayer run through. So far I've managed to rack up 25hrs in-game and I'll be putting in a massive session tomorrow.

I'm annoyed that SLI isn't working. I'm using the latest drivers recommended for Borderlands 2 and yet the second GPU just seems to be doing a bit of PhysX. Performance doesn't drop below 60fps in singleplayer but co-op is much more demanding. I'm hoping that updated drivers and a patch or two from Gearbox will smooth things out nicely but I really wish this shit was sorted before launch. A quick Google search shows it's a common issue and not just specific to my system. And DiRT Showdown has plenty of SLI issues at launch as well. Not really that impressed with nVidia drivers.

125. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 21, 2012, 22:37 xXBatmanXx

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 16:11:
Creston wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 15:52:
I always have an explosive shotgun as a backup to my 2 incendiary weapons.

Creston
So did I but against the boss character that was useless. It is that robot that keeps on building other robots. So by the time I could get his shields down he built 2-3 other robots that were killing me, but the time I've finished off those 2-3 robots the builder's shield was back up again because the repair drones were flying around him. It was just frustrating, so I decided to bail and do something else and have some fun and return to this mission later when I have some kick ass weaponry against the robots.

That is why I liked the sniper that sets the targets on fire because one or 2 shots and the enemy slowly burns to death but ones you shot it you can start shooting someone else. With the robots it took 2-3 shots of the explosive shotgun to kill one and also a reload, so overall it just takes too long to kill one, need better weapons.

124. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 21, 2012, 20:00 theyarecomingforyou

The Steam Community has been chronically unreliable tonight. Unfortunately this is a regular occurrence and isn't related to the release of Borderlands 2. Valve needs to put a LOT more effort into minimising downtime - so many games rely on it to provide multiplayer and people are kicked out immediately if they lose the connection.

I would go as far as saying that the Steam Community isn't fit for purpose at the moment. Players are already posting about how they've lost 5 or more levels because of the disconnects. There were over 100,000 people online when it went down and a decent percentage of those would have been playing co-op.

123. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 21, 2012, 18:22 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 09:40:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 09:35:
Won a sweet shotty at Moxxi's on the slots. Awesome.

I got a green once, but it wasn't overly awesome. The price also seems a bit high (like $144 a spin?) but that could be due to the beginning of the game, and later that amount will be nothing...

THis is what I got:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97923821

122. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 21, 2012, 16:11 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 15:52:
I always have an explosive shotgun as a backup to my 2 incendiary weapons.

Creston
So did I but against the boss character that was useless. It is that robot that keeps on building other robots. So by the time I could get his shields down he built 2-3 other robots that were killing me, but the time I've finished off those 2-3 robots the builder's shield was back up again because the repair drones were flying around him. It was just frustrating, so I decided to bail and do something else and have some fun and return to this mission later when I have some kick ass weaponry against the robots.

That is why I liked the sniper that sets the targets on fire because one or 2 shots and the enemy slowly burns to death but ones you shot it you can start shooting someone else. With the robots it took 2-3 shots of the explosive shotgun to kill one and also a reload, so overall it just takes too long to kill one, need better weapons.

141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo