Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup

Today sees the North American release of Borderlands 2, and Gearbox Software's role-playing shooter sequel should now be in stores and is also available via GameStop PC Downloads and Steam. Reviews for the game are also now rolling in, and as of this writing it currently enjoys an 88 review average on Metacritic and an 8.8 user score. You can find individual reviews of the return to Pandora on Ars Technica, AtomicGamer, Computer and Video Games, Destructoid, DVICE, Eurogamer, GameSpy, GameStar.de (in German), Giant Bomb, IGN, Kotaku, Latimes.com, PC Gamer, PCMag.com, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Shacknews, USATODAY.com, VentureBeat, and Worthplaying. Also, apparently they've been mixing Red Bull and NoDoze at IGN video, as they offer a 40-part video walkthrough of the game.

View
141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

81. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 12:21 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:53:
If you want a good shotgun or sniper rifle, there's a really early quest to get Bulliwog fur that gives you either one as a reward. The british dude gives it to you. The quest is a little difficult (as you have to melee a bulliwog to get fur, which is pretty hard), but the shotgun I got was pretty decent.

Creston
Hmm I'll do that mission tonight. I got it in the list of missions I accepted but didn't bother to do it last night. I am using the starter sniper rifle quiet a bit so I can use a new one.
Thanks for the heads up!

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 11:55 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:54:
Is Ventrilo free? I've never bothered with voice chat stuff before.
Yes, the client software is free.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

79. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 11:54 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:53:
Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:50:

Sent an invite.

Creston

One of my RL buddies is on vacation for the next month so we have room for a fourth if you're bored later. All that is required is a copy of Ventrilo and beer because we get pretty retarded

Hahaha. I can't play during the day (at least not much), since I'm at work. I'll try to drop in tonight.

Is Ventrilo free? I've never bothered with voice chat stuff before.

Creston

78. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 11:53 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 09:09:
Yeah gun drops do make a huge difference. I really hated Zer0 until I got a good shotgun and sniper rifle, it was like night and day after that.

Shotguns still totally dominate early play, imo. You get a good shotgun and you're basically set for the first 10-15 levels. Where your pistol or assault rifle takes 10-15 seconds to kill something, you just run up with the shotgun and blast, and stuff dies.

If you want a good shotgun or sniper rifle, there's a really early quest to get Bulliwog fur that gives you either one as a reward. The british dude gives it to you. The quest is a little difficult (as you have to melee a bulliwog to get fur, which is pretty hard), but the shotgun I got was pretty decent.

Creston

77. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 11:53 Verno

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:50:

Sent an invite.

Creston

One of my RL buddies is on vacation for the next month so we have room for a fourth if you're bored later. All that is required is a copy of Ventrilo and beer because we get pretty retarded

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

76. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 11:50 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 08:02:
Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 00:55:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 22:27:
nin why aren't you on my Steam friends list? *sniffles* I swear I virtually shower every other week and on Jewish holidays!

You aren't on mine either, I think. What's your Steam nick?

creston for mine.

Add me, and we'll do some co-op, provided we're close enough in level...

Creston

CptRanger on Steam! And have the day off as well so will be putting some time into it.

Sent an invite.

Creston

75. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 11:48 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 06:03:
So yeah, this is interesting... Not dared to try it myself.

I wouldn't do that. When you find a purple out in the wild and it rocks the world for the next 6 or 7 levels, it feels awesome.

If you cheat your way to infinite purples, you completely lose that "OMG YES!" feeling, and it just gets boring. Especially since you could open a chest at level 10, grab a nice purple, play with it until level 15, go back to Sanctuary, open the chest again, get another nice purple, play to level 20, etc etc etc.

It rather becomes the Diablo 3 auction house syndrome at that point. (And I have to say, I quite hate having to buy my weapons and armor in GW2 as well, since all the nice shit that drops for me is ALWAYS for other characters...)

Creston

74. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 11:40 Creston

Dev wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 02:59:
Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 00:51:
No DLC items for me, though I had expected I wouldn't get them. Signed up for Shift, and it reported that every character should now have a Golden Key, and yet I have no Golden Key. Oookay. Good to see that that's all working splendidly.

The game itself is great. Most importantly, imo, is the shooting has just been cleaned up when compared to the first Borderlands. It always felt a little off in that game. Not so anymore here, it masquerades as a normal FPS very, very well. Extremely playable.
I agree, the shooting feels better than BL1.

So why wouldn't you get the pre-order dlc? Didn't you preorder (such as that $36 deal from GMG, or $40 in a 4 pack from steam) ?

No, I got my copy through the Nvidia "Buy a card and get BL2" deal.

Creston

73. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 09:45 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 09:22:
Good way to ruin your game experience. I hated playing with people who edited files in the first one. Whats the point if you are unstoppable from start to finish? Defeats the whole game mechanic.

Yeah totally. The good news is that it only gives you two equal level items and you can only do it 255 times without hex editing your profile.bin. Most of the draw of Borderlands is collecting cool loot so if someone else wants to ruin their enjoyment then hey whatever, its their money. Thankfully Gearbox put in some item validation to prevent the glut of edited guns the first game had.

72. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 09:36 SpectralMeat

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 09:22:

Good way to ruin your game experience. I hated playing with people who edited files in the first one. Whats the point if you are unstoppable from start to finish? Defeats the whole game mechanic.

+1
That is part of the gameplay and enjoyment of getting some rare loot, taking that away just dulls the experience.

71. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 09:33 nin

I'll take your rares, Bats!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

70. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 09:22 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

69. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 09:09 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 05:29:
I put a good 3-4 hours into the game last night and I was having a blast! It is so much better then the first game was. Graphics looks much better, the physix stuff is freaking awesome, the story is way better and the guns feel much better. It seems like they've improved everything in the game from the first Borderlands, and they did an awesome job on the PC port.

This sequel really is a very solid and entertaining game. I am glad I've picked it up. Looking forward to put many many more hours into it.

PS: am I the only one who loved the intro cinematics? Really awesome music and trailer. When that train meets that buggy I was like "holy shit"

The intro music (Short Change Hero by The Heavy IIRC) threw me for a loop because it's the same licensed song I've heard in several TV shows. I really like the main menu and overworld themes though, their sound people did a great job in general.

I initially didnt like Zer0 and wanted Axton but after playing both to 20 I think Zer0 has far more interesting gameplay dynamics. Axton is basically drop turret and snipe. This wouldn't be that bad if they hadn't neutered the turret so much between games, you need it fully upgraded to really be a powerhouse and the upgrades are scattered through different trees.

Zer0 on the other hand is an interesting risk/reward play style. I've seen a few streams of people just trying to exclusively melee with him but that's contrary to his intended use, he has a ton of skills that buff a run/gun/slice play style. I usually let my buddies engage then dart around the back field, disrupting things with my clone and strategically picking off targets. You can also hang back and snipe a bit too. The clone is great because unlike the turret it has no health bar, you can drop him and go revive someone while everyone shoots at the clone. Anyways it's quite fun, I just hope the melee damage scaling holds up to the higher difficulties.

The game does need more class variety though, 4 classes in a sequel (2 arguably very close to the first game) isn't enough so hopefully the Mecromancer helps even things out a bit. The PC port is excellent, have to give them big props for making good on their promises and the disappointment of the first game. The Steamworks integration is one of the best implementations I've ever seen, the quick pick friends stuff on the main menu was a great idea.

So far my main is Axton which I like (especially if ya pick up the turret ya get a quicker recharge), but Salvatore is my least favorite. Could be cause I just wasn't getting the right 2 weapons for the ability or what.

Yeah gun drops do make a huge difference. I really hated Zer0 until I got a good shotgun and sniper rifle, it was like night and day after that.

68. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 08:42 SpectralMeat

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 08:02:
The Siren Maya is VERY powerful in the early game. And if ya have the physX on high holy crap!
Yep that is the character I am playing with the physix, man what a show!

67. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 08:40 nin

CptRanger on Steam!

I'll try and remember and shoot an invite tonight...

Couldn't sleep overnight and went back and redid the claptrap mission...worked like it was supposed to. Weird...

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2012, 08:48.

66. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 08:26 JayDeath

Mixing No Doze and Red Bull...I might have to try that. Heh.  
Steam: BenRichards

65. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 08:02 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 00:55:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 22:27:
nin why aren't you on my Steam friends list? *sniffles* I swear I virtually shower every other week and on Jewish holidays!

You aren't on mine either, I think. What's your Steam nick?

creston for mine.

Add me, and we'll do some co-op, provided we're close enough in level...

Creston

CptRanger on Steam! And have the day off as well so will be putting some time into it.

So far my main is Axton which I like (especially if ya pick up the turret ya get a quicker recharge), but Salvatore is my least favorite. Could be cause I just wasn't getting the right 2 weapons for the ability or what. The Siren Maya is VERY powerful in the early game. And if ya have the physX on high holy crap!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

64. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 07:37 LittleMe

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 05:29:
I put a good 3-4 hours into the game last night and I was having a blast! It is so much better then the first game was.

Yes and it gets better later on. The game has lots of nice surprises and shows creative inspiration.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

63. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 06:03 nin

62. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 05:29 SpectralMeat

I put a good 3-4 hours into the game last night and I was having a blast! It is so much better then the first game was. Graphics looks much better, the physix stuff is freaking awesome, the story is way better and the guns feel much better. It seems like they've improved everything in the game from the first Borderlands, and they did an awesome job on the PC port.

This sequel really is a very solid and entertaining game. I am glad I've picked it up. Looking forward to put many many more hours into it.

PS: am I the only one who loved the intro cinematics? Really awesome music and trailer. When that train meets that buggy I was like "holy shit"

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2012, 05:41.

141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo