Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup

Today sees the North American release of Borderlands 2, and Gearbox Software's role-playing shooter sequel should now be in stores and is also available via GameStop PC Downloads and Steam. Reviews for the game are also now rolling in, and as of this writing it currently enjoys an 88 review average on Metacritic and an 8.8 user score. You can find individual reviews of the return to Pandora on Ars Technica, AtomicGamer, Computer and Video Games, Destructoid, DVICE, Eurogamer, GameSpy, GameStar.de (in German), Giant Bomb, IGN, Kotaku, Latimes.com, PC Gamer, PCMag.com, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Shacknews, USATODAY.com, VentureBeat, and Worthplaying. Also, apparently they've been mixing Red Bull and NoDoze at IGN video, as they offer a 40-part video walkthrough of the game.

View
141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

101. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 11:24 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 11:07:
Yeah you are right after closer inspection (at work in my *ahem coffee break ) it is not a purple weapon anyways, but it sure kicks ass. I got some pistols last night that does explosive and fire damage, those are unreal.
It seems like whenever I find an awesome weapon something way better is just around the corner. Never feel under powered.

Unfortunately, I have to say that that's actually still pretty ingrained in the drop mechanism. My first time through borderlands 1, nothing worth anything dropped in my first 12-13 levels, and I was getting REALLY close to quitting when suddenly a blue SMG with X3 Acid dropped, and I was giggling with glee for the next ten levels.

On my Gunzerker, I got a 21x13 shotgun with explosive ammo in the very first beginners town, and then that purple assault rifle dropped in the nomad camp, so that's just been pure happiness from the get-go.

My Siren last night, however, didn't find anything decent until just before Flynt... (good thing too, because I had NO fucking idea how I was going to kill him with the shitty weapons I had...) Then an assault rifle that does 27x3 dropped, and it did a pretty good number on him.

Gearbox really needs to buff the earlier drops. Nobody wants to see infinite white shit that's pure SHIT drop. Yeah, so a powerful gun might make the first few levels a little too easy. Who fucking cares? You withhold the special skills until level 5 already, and then make people slog through bullywogs that are 2-3 levels higher with a shitty-ass white pistol...

Sad to see they still haven't managed to solve that little conundrum of theirs. (it's not that hard fellas: Give people a good gun as a reward for the main quest right before Flynt.)

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

100. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 11:07 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 10:52:
SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 05:48:
Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 21:12:
Yeah, my purple assault rifle made really short work of that dude.

Creston
I just got one of those also last night, and it is pretty awesome. Got a scope on it and the fire rate changes if I am scoped in or if I shoot from the hip. Wonder if you got the same weapon.

No, mine fires at the same rate, but it does incendiary damage with every shot. It chews through level 8 bully-wugs in half a second. A level 8 bad-ass psycho dies in a single clip.

The only downside of the gun is that it just devours ammo.

I think the odds of two people getting the exact same gun in BL2 is probably close to the order of 1/1000000th of a percent.

Creston
Yeah you are right after closer inspection (at work in my *ahem coffee break ) it is not a purple weapon anyways, but it sure kicks ass. I got some pistols last night that does explosive and fire damage, those are unreal.
It seems like whenever I find an awesome weapon something way better is just around the corner. Never feel under powered.

Steam: SpectralMeat

99. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 10:55 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 07:48:

/edit: I love the slots at Moxxi's.

Creston nearly killed us with one!

Hahahaha. Yeah what the FUCK was up with that??!
And while I'm standing there going "Hey... I won! Where's my loot?!" nin is down to 9 health and practically dying. Hehehe.

Creston

98. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 10:52 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 05:48:

Creston
I just got one of those also last night, and it is pretty awesome. Got a scope on it and the fire rate changes if I am scoped in or if I shoot from the hip. Wonder if you got the same weapon.

No, mine fires at the same rate, but it does incendiary damage with every shot. It chews through level 8 bully-wugs in half a second. A level 8 bad-ass psycho dies in a single clip.

The only downside of the gun is that it just devours ammo.

I think the odds of two people getting the exact same gun in BL2 is probably close to the order of 1/1000000th of a percent.

Creston

97. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 10:51 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 09:31:
SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 07:51:
Shit I accidentally opened the vault with the gold key also. Got a sweet shield. Oh well still have another gold key, gotta be careful. Didn't want to open the vault just yet.

I just got to town last night, but I've heard others say the exact same thing. A confirmation would be nice before it takes the key.

Oh well. Saving mine for max level.

I started thinking about the value of opening it now vs opening it at max level. If you open it now, you're guaranteed a purple, which at the <10 level that most people will be when they get to Sanctuary, is almost to the point of overpowered. I got a pistol that does 72 damage, has nigh-on perfect accuracy AND it does explosive damage. So it's literally doing 130-150 per shot, against critters that have maybe 200 hitpoints.

Compare that to when you open it at max level. At max level, you will pretty much already have almost everything Orange (I have no idea if Teal stuff got implemented in BL2, but even if it did, Teal stuff was worthless compared to high-end orange in BL1.) so then the chest will open, and you will likely get a top tier orange drop, which will very likely be much the same as what you already have, though perhaps with slightly better modifiers.

I think it's perhaps better to open it at low level and get a weapon you'll kick ass with for the next 10 levels. Any counter-arguments?

Creston

96. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 09:36 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 21:45:
There are some missions with a lot of waves but I always make sure to kill all the enemies and didn't come across a situation where enemies respawned indefinitely. I'm 10hrs into the game, so it might come later?

Nah it's used pretty liberally in sidequests and even a few main quests. Don't kill Boom Bewm and Psychos keep respawning indefinitely for example. In the midgets area he sometimes bugs out and goes hopping around the whole place at random, if he gets far enough away the badass upstairs keeps respawning because it resets the scripting.

If you don't complete the objectives quickly you notice, I tend to run around even in the bandit places to look for hidden things so I kept bumping up against it. Not a big deal, I just kill the dudes now and explore later but its a weird mechanic.

Shit I accidentally opened the vault with the gold key also. Got a sweet shield. Oh well still have another gold key, gotta be careful. Didn't want to open the vault just yet.

Yeah I did that too, it sucks Not sure how we get more beyond editing the game files either, oh well.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

95. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 09:31 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 07:51:

I just got to town last night, but I've heard others say the exact same thing. A confirmation would be nice before it takes the key.

Oh well. Saving mine for max level.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

94. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 07:51 SpectralMeat

93. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 07:48 nin

Creston nearly killed us with one!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

92. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 05:59 xXBatmanXx

Tribute To A Vault Hunter
Got an item from Michael Mamaril

A buddy was playing and we came upon Michael in Sanctuary. We were just entering Zed's place and 2 NPCs were in there. One was Michael, the other is the guy that is always standing there. He gave a SUPER SWEET purple. I connected to my buddy's game, so I said take it.

Very cool on their part to include this kid.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_Mamaril

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

91. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 05:48 SpectralMeat

Creston

90. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 03:40 xXBatmanXx

16 hours over 3 players:

Level 10 Commando - 8 hours and change (at Sanctuary) - keep joining friend's games.
Level 8 Assasin - 4 hours and change (at Sanctuary)
Level 6 Zerker - 3 hours and change

Some weird things here and there, but game is a blast. Working on all side stuff and cheevos for Badass points to up my dudes. So nice those badass points work across all characters. Don't really like Assassin or Zerk. Commando is my play style. Throw that shit out there and let it mow down 6-7 dudes.

In that amount of time over 3 dudes, only blues I came across was Flynt's handgun, and a friend grabbed a crappy blue gun off of a skag, er I mean, bullymog. I did come across a blue skin customization, but that probably doesn't count.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

89. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 20, 2012, 01:08 Creston

Argh, so I opened my Golden Chest without realizing that was my Golden Chest... Oh well, at least I got a cool purple pistol out of it...

Creston

88. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 21:45 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 13:34:
That mission is hard as shit solo, make sure you bring some buds. They added a non-stop respawning component to a lot of the missions until you finish the objective, it's a bit obnoxious at times. In co-op its not a big deal at all but in solo play its frustrating.
I've been soloing and haven't noticed that. There are some missions with a lot of waves but I always make sure to kill all the enemies and didn't come across a situation where enemies respawned indefinitely. I'm 10hrs into the game, so it might come later?

I'm having an absolute blast. I used one of the golden keys on the chest in Sanctuary without realising what they were but one of the guns I've been using ever since, so it worked out well. I'm very impressed with the game so far. I've got everything maxed out (including PhysX) at 2560x1600 and the framerate is a constant 60fps - I haven't seen it dip. I was expecting it to be very good and it has certainly lived up to my expectations.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

87. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 21:12 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 16:09:
Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 15:48:
Oh my bad, I got it confused with the quest where you're sent to kill the midget riding a bulliwog.
I've completed that mission last night solo and it wasn't so bad tbh. I died ones or twice before the boss enemy showed up but I took him out without dying and then made it back safely.

Creston

86. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 16:41 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:53:
Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 09:09:
Yeah gun drops do make a huge difference. I really hated Zer0 until I got a good shotgun and sniper rifle, it was like night and day after that.

Shotguns still totally dominate early play, imo. You get a good shotgun and you're basically set for the first 10-15 levels. Where your pistol or assault rifle takes 10-15 seconds to kill something, you just run up with the shotgun and blast, and stuff dies.

If you want a good shotgun or sniper rifle, there's a really early quest to get Bulliwog fur that gives you either one as a reward. The british dude gives it to you. The quest is a little difficult (as you have to melee a bulliwog to get fur, which is pretty hard), but the shotgun I got was pretty decent.

Creston

Totally agree - shotguns rule early on. I ran out of ammo a few times, that blows. Make sure to turn your mission into CLAPTRAP to get shotty - made the mistake of NOT doing that and got a sniper rifle I didn't need from other dude.

I have 3 level 8 characters. Still trying to figure out the mechanics of zero. It is weird.

85. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 16:09 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 15:48:
Oh my bad, I got it confused with the quest where you're sent to kill the midget riding a bulliwog.
I've completed that mission last night solo and it wasn't so bad tbh. I died ones or twice before the boss enemy showed up but I took him out without dying and then made it back safely.

84. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 15:48 Verno

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 15:27:
That mission is hard as shit solo, make sure you bring some buds. They added a non-stop respawning component to a lot of the missions until you finish the objective, it's a bit obnoxious at times. In co-op its not a big deal at all but in solo play its frustrating.

Really? Hmm. The place where I got them, right above that bandit camp where you get the fuse for the elevator, spawns about 7 or 8 of them, but that's always been the total amount I've gotten.

Creston

83. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 15:27 Creston

Really? Hmm. The place where I got them, right above that bandit camp where you get the fuse for the elevator, spawns about 7 or 8 of them, but that's always been the total amount I've gotten.

Creston

82. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 19, 2012, 13:34 Verno

141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo