Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup

Today sees the North American release of Borderlands 2, and Gearbox Software's role-playing shooter sequel should now be in stores and is also available via GameStop PC Downloads and Steam. Reviews for the game are also now rolling in, and as of this writing it currently enjoys an 88 review average on Metacritic and an 8.8 user score. You can find individual reviews of the return to Pandora on Ars Technica, AtomicGamer, Computer and Video Games, Destructoid, DVICE, Eurogamer, GameSpy, GameStar.de (in German), Giant Bomb, IGN, Kotaku, Latimes.com, PC Gamer, PCMag.com, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Shacknews, USATODAY.com, VentureBeat, and Worthplaying. Also, apparently they've been mixing Red Bull and NoDoze at IGN video, as they offer a 40-part video walkthrough of the game.

View
141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

21. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 12:37 Lorcin

ochentay4 wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:20:
Why do you get to play the game today and I have to wait 2 days? WHYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

IF you've bought it via steam log out. Use a free vpn in america and sign back into steam. Steam will unlock the game, you can then log back out, shut down the vpn and log in as usual and it works.

Obviously use at your own risk when it comes to vpn choice.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 12:37 Darks

ochentay4 wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:20:
Why do you get to play the game today and I have to wait 2 days? WHYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Itís called stupid Publisher/Developer Syndrome. Thereís really no good explanation for this. Totally lame!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

19. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 12:20 ochentay4

18. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 12:18 Beelzebud

avianflu wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 11:43:
the reviews so far seem to be saying "more of the same."

That's not a bad thing at all. Why else have a sequel if you're going to change every aspect of the game.

I still wish Fallout 3 had been 'more of the same'.

17. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 12:08 Linksil

I'm right there with you on the backlog... soo many games i'm still working through from the summer sales. Not to mention the onrolling MMO's and console RPGS. I'm thinking BL2 will get put on the back burner until the colder months.

Verno: me and your play list is almost the same so many times it's scary.

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

16. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 12:02 Verno

They just deployed a fix for the premiere club stuff, you're supposed to wake up with the relic and stuff. Restart Steam, Verify cache and it should be working according to the forums.

The PhysX stuff is really, really impressive and fluid on an Nvidia card. I have to say this is the best implementation of it I've ever seen, more devs should take note.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

15. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 11:58 CrimsonPaw

I really wish my backlog wasn't so damn full because I really enjoyed BL1. I'll probably wait on this for 6 - 10 months once I whittle away at the log.  
~~Crim~~

14. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 11:45 Darks

Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 10:03:
One small annoyance, all of the preorder bonuses are broken for the PC version. Anyways fantastic game so far.

I didnít see my pre order bonuses, but now I see why not. You actually have to go to a site to get them unlocked which Is stupid.

But, how are the bonuses broken? Can you let me know?

Iím also playing Axton, and enjoying him so far, but I really need to see the other classes to make a final decision.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

13. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 11:43 avianflu

the reviews so far seem to be saying "more of the same."  

12. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 11:30 Verno

Yakubs wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 11:04:
I asked about this on another forum and I got the opposite response, lol. They were saying Siren's ability is lame until you get deep into the skill tree and only lasts for a short time.Whatever. I guess I have to just try it myself and restart if it sucks.

I think a lot of it probably depends on the weapons you get which varies wildly between different players. I get the feeling melee and phaselock damage is based on your base weapon damage because I don't see any other stats for it in-game. I wonder about the turret too. I doubt the wiki has been updated yet but it would be interesting to see how its all calculated. Also a lot of the interesting mods to melee and class skills haven't really been experimented with yet so who knows.

I do agree with the dude from Ars that the turret losing the shield (its an upgrade later in a tree) was a really lame downgrade.

Here is how ya get the pre-order stuff

Does this get the vault hunter relic and other stuff? Sorry at work so can't test it myself.

11. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 11:21 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 11:01:

Start the Game
Go to Extra's
Click on Shift
Sign-up for Shift
check email for confirmation
restart game
viola every character you have made or will make gets the golden key.

Thank you, kind sir! I can't play until tonight, but that'll be the first thing I do.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 11:13 Frijoles

I don't care much for the inventory interface. Seems like a chore to compare items (click weapon, push 'e', mouse over other weapons, repeat for everything). They also could have expanded it to 2 or 3 columns wide instead of one long column that requires scrolling.

Game itself is fun, though. It's weird going from uber-powerful character in Borderlands 1, someone with huge shield, recharging health, unlimited ammo.. to this new char with none of that.

Also, Claptrap is awesome.

9. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 11:04 Yakubs

Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 10:52:
Yeah tell me about it, I've seen so many journalists struggle with basic controls and concepts that it makes you wonder how they do it full time. He seems to really like escape abilities and Zer0 is the only class with one really. Sirens ability is instantly useful, has a low cooldown and most of the augments are really interesting.

I asked about this on another forum and I got the opposite response, lol. They were saying Siren's ability is lame until you get deep into the skill tree and only lasts for a short time.

Whatever. I guess I have to just try it myself and restart if it sucks.

8. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 11:01 The Half Elf

Start the Game
Go to Extra's
Click on Shift
Sign-up for Shift
check email for confirmation
restart game
viola every character you have made or will make gets the golden key.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 10:57 Creston

Played a bit last night and this morning, I like Axton, very well rounded. My buddy who rolled Zer0 says it sucks but he hasn't unlocked Execute in the melee tree yet so we'll see. The first game had major probs with melee damage scaling so it wouldn't surprise me if this one did too.

Dammit, I really want to play the assassin. They have basically exactly the same class in ME3 mp, and in there it ROOOOOCCCKKKSSSS!!!

Turret guy is always cool to play with. That turret gets powerful enough to murder bosses at high level.

Downloaded, and looking forward to playing it tonight. Who all's up for some MP?

Creston

6. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 10:52 Verno

Yakubs wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 10:27:
Interesting, the Ars Technica review said that Siren sucks and Assassin is where it's at. I guess YMMV.

Also, the Ars Technica reviewer (like most game journalists) is terrible at video games in general so maybe I shouldn't trust him.

Yeah tell me about it, I've seen so many journalists struggle with basic controls and concepts that it makes you wonder how they do it full time. He seems to really like escape abilities and Zer0 is the only class with one really. Sirens ability is instantly useful, has a low cooldown and most of the augments are really interesting.

5. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 10:30 ledhead1969

I'm enjoying Zer0. Only level 5 but the mele fun is going to ramp up nicely. Need to reconfig controls though as V doesn't seem right. Game is a blast and the badass tracking is nice. So many goals. Can't wait to get into MP.  

4. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 10:28 jimnms

One small annoyance, all of the preorder bonuses are broken for the PC version. Anyways fantastic game so far.

It apparently isn't broken for everyone. I've been on the Steam and Gearbox forums, seems some people have it and some don't. Mine shows it purchased and not downloaded, but I can't make it download. A friend of mine says he's getting a message that he has content available for download, but it won't start the download.

Edit: I haven't decided what I'm going to play yet. I played the Hunter in BL1 and like him. I might just create one of each and try them out. The soldier seems the be pretty much the same as his BL1 counterpart with the turret ability, but the others have totally different abilities than their BL1 counterparts.

Edit 2: Tried loading it up again and now it tells me "Unable to enumerate the downloadable content offerings. Please try again later."

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2012, 10:42.

MeanJim on Steam

3. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 10:27 Yakubs

Interesting, the Ars Technica review said that Siren sucks and Assassin is where it's at. I guess YMMV.

Also, the Ars Technica reviewer (like most game journalists) is terrible at video games in general so maybe I shouldn't trust him.

2. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 10:03 Verno

Played a bit last night and this morning, I like Axton, very well rounded. My buddy who rolled Zer0 says it sucks but he hasn't unlocked Execute in the melee tree yet so we'll see. The first game had major probs with melee damage scaling so it wouldn't surprise me if this one did too. My other buddy said Gunzerking seemed surprisingly underwhelming but it might be one of those things that scales really well when the guns get absurd later. Sirens ability is awesome from what I've seen.

The PC port is very well done, they finally delivered and then some. Every option you could want is there and probably a few you don't care about. There are a few minor technical issues but that's pretty much any PC release these days. One small annoyance, all of the preorder bonuses are broken for the PC version. Anyways fantastic game so far.

141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo