Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client

GuildWars2.com announces a beta version of the OS X client for Guild Wars 2 is now available, allowing Mac owners to play ArenaNet's MMORPG sequel, with one purchase entitling players to play on both systems. Word is:

The Mac Beta is available to anyone who has purchased or purchases Guild Wars 2. All you need is an active Guild Wars 2 account to download the Mac Beta client. Just log in to account.guildwars2.com and click Download Client to get started. If you have any questions, check out our Mac FAQ.

Keep in mind as you play the Mac Beta that it is a beta product. Performance and system requirements arenít finalized. Review the beta hardware specification, and understand that your overall experience will be better when we release the final version. Even though itís a beta, the Mac client does connect to the same live environment that the PC client connects to.
To bring Guild Wars 2 to the Mac, ArenaNet worked with our partners at TransGaming, whose Cider technology allows us to mirror the game experience as closely as possible between the PC and Mac. This means that future updates to Guild Wars 2 will be available for both platforms simultaneously.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 14:08 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 14:03:
Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 13:41:
In PvP, a Thief is awesome. In PvE... not so much.

I actually submitted a bug report on the personal story quests. It was titled "NOT EVERYONE PLAYS A FRAKKING WARRIOR!!! HELLO??!!"
I'm not sure it'll get much attention, but it felt good typing it.

I'm leveling a Warrior and a Guardian basically side by side, and it's just completely insane how much more survivability they have. The Guardian STARTS with regeneration! It's just always on! The Warrior can get the signet for it at level 5. You know when the Thief gets the opportunity for regeneration? Oh that's right, NEVER!

Creston

I had an issue with one story mission as my ranger, involves a large group of undead attacking you and some pirate npc's. The pirates lasted all of 3 seconds so I was swarmed. I can usually handle most PvE situations but a 10 on 1 zombie gang rape was a bit much, took a couple tries to complete it. All the other missions were easy as pie so combined with your experience it sounds like some balance work is definitely needed.

Yeah I did that mission too. I was lucky, because the pirates and undead zerged away from the beach, so once the pirates had all died and the next wave of undead came in, the undead were standing on the beach while I was ressing the pirates 100 feet away.

All the missions get like that. "Oh, hai, you're alone! Here, deal with a dozen destroyers all at once! HAR HAR HAR Oh you're dead. Oh well!"

Just the fucking burning AoE from a dozen destroyers kills you in about half a second flat. They haven't even ATTACKED you at that point yet...

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 14:04 deqer

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 13:35:
Bucky wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:03:
Why not bring a few people along for the story quest?

I've tried. Nobody wants to play in another person's story, because they get zero XP. (well, they get a few xp from kills, but other than that, nada.) So it becomes a question of "Why would we?"...

Creston
I always hated that shit in MMOs. Most players are such nerds that nitpick things like that all for the sake of gaining a few extra XP. They won't group with you because of shared XP, even though they only lose pennies from it and could gain a lot from the relationship and experience of being in a group.

Seriously, I hate you ****ing nerds like that. You totally ruin the game, and ruin the experience for everyone.

I can't believe it carries on, into MMOs today. Stupid ass companies doing their balancing shit because they feel it's necessary. "Ohhh nooo, can't have them gaining same xp from sharing a quest; that would imbalance the game! That would give them a boost." Just shut the fuck up, who cares, really? Let them play in groups and get all the XP from it. Who cares. You're ruining the game otherwise, fucktards.

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 14:03 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 13:41:

I actually submitted a bug report on the personal story quests. It was titled "NOT EVERYONE PLAYS A FRAKKING WARRIOR!!! HELLO??!!"

I'm leveling a Warrior and a Guardian basically side by side, and it's just completely insane how much more survivability they have. The Guardian STARTS with regeneration! It's just always on! The Warrior can get the signet for it at level 5. You know when the Thief gets the opportunity for regeneration? Oh that's right, NEVER!

Creston

I had an issue with one story mission as my ranger, involves a large group of undead attacking you and some pirate npc's. The pirates lasted all of 3 seconds so I was swarmed. I can usually handle most PvE situations but a 10 on 1 zombie gang rape was a bit much, took a couple tries to complete it. All the other missions were easy as pie so combined with your experience it sounds like some balance work is definitely needed.

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 13:41 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 11:50:
The story quests aren't necessarily well balanced but I agree that Thieves could use some love. I still love mine in PvP, I'm an unkillable asshole who frequently distracts groups of 5-10 people from an objective while my team goes after it.

That said, I have a Warrior in the high 60s already and its far more enjoyable while providing more DPS and arguably utility in PVE content.

Creston

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 13:37 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:29:
If your in TSR send out a guild request for some assistance, if I'm online I'll hop over in a jiffy.

I'll see if you're on next time.

Creston

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 13:36 Creston

Linksil wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:11:
What server are the blues people on for when I start playing next month?

A lot of us are on Tarnished Coast.

Creston

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 13:35 Creston

Bucky wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:03:

I've tried. Nobody wants to play in another person's story, because they get zero XP. (well, they get a few xp from kills, but other than that, nada.) So it becomes a question of "Why would we?"...

Creston

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 13:35 deqer

"Wtf, I purchased the game, and I cannot play it on my mac?! w t f?"

x 50,000 you think?

With that many e-mails, you bet you're going to jump and get a mac client out ASAP.

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 13:16 sauron

Endo wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:22:
Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 11:02:
I'm giving up on my Thief...

In the meantime, my Warrior just stands there at level 15 and tanks 2 lvl 17 Sons of Svanir and 2 lvl 16 icewolfs without breaking a fucking sweat.

Creston

Black powder can help a lot in some situations, which is why I usually use dagger with pistol offhand. But in other situations it's just useless.

And totally agree with you about the warrior. In fact, I'm doing EXACTLY the same as you. My thief has been my main (up to 52 now) and as of yesterday I decided to shelve her and work on my warrior. Better survivability AND more damage AND more utility in PvE. There's no downside compared to the thief.

Wow, I did exactly the same! Gave up on my Thief for now and took up Guardian instead. While my lil Asura sneakthief kept getting killed, my brick-wall Nord Guardian lays down the smack while staying upright AND healing and buffing everyone else. An event starts and everyone just gathers round - I guess a tank is still a tank after all.

I also have a Warrior, an Elementalist and a Mesmer, so I guess I'll test them all out but it's Guardian for me for now.

Kittens!

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 12:30 Bucky

Most of the Blue's News people are on Tarnished Coast, which is the US unofficial RP server as well. It's not required though, as the only thing that's server restricted is your ability to do WvW with guild members.  

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 12:29 NegaDeath

A bunch are on Tarnished Coast.

I'm giving up on my Thief. Her personal story just becomes impossible to play at higher levels. I went to go help out the Skritt, and it's basically a small deathmatch level where you have to kill TWELVE Destroyers and a Destroyer Queen. All at once. After dying about five times, I finally managed to get them situated so that I could Scorpion Wire one out of the group and kill it, then rinse repeat.

Then I had to try the Queen about five more times, until finally I managed to kite her with the shortbow just well enough that she went down. Total time it took me for that battle was around an hour, and I had a nice 12 silver repair bill at the end of it. I won't even mention how well she did at the battle for Claw Island...

Order of Whispers my fucking ass. They should just call themselves the Red Vigil.

In the meantime, my Warrior just stands there at level 15 and tanks 2 lvl 17 Sons of Svanir and 2 lvl 16 icewolfs without breaking a fucking sweat.

Creston

If your in TSR send out a guild request for some assistance, if I'm online I'll hop over in a jiffy.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 12:28 Will W

A bigger concern will be which servers are full. I just started this weekend, and a good number of the servers were either "Heavily" populated or "Full". I forget which server I saw posted that people were on, but it was full....one of the guys there may recall the name...since I'm sure there's not a server called "Thunder Road" and that's what name is coming to my head. lol

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 12:22 Endo

I'm giving up on my Thief. Her personal story just becomes impossible to play at higher levels. I went to go help out the Skritt, and it's basically a small deathmatch level where you have to kill TWELVE Destroyers and a Destroyer Queen. All at once. After dying about five times, I finally managed to get them situated so that I could Scorpion Wire one out of the group and kill it, then rinse repeat.

Then I had to try the Queen about five more times, until finally I managed to kite her with the shortbow just well enough that she went down. Total time it took me for that battle was around an hour, and I had a nice 12 silver repair bill at the end of it. I won't even mention how well she did at the battle for Claw Island...

Order of Whispers my fucking ass. They should just call themselves the Red Vigil.

Creston

Black powder can help a lot in some situations, which is why I usually use dagger with pistol offhand. But in other situations it's just useless.

And totally agree with you about the warrior. In fact, I'm doing EXACTLY the same as you. My thief has been my main (up to 52 now) and as of yesterday I decided to shelve her and work on my warrior. Better survivability AND more damage AND more utility in PvE. There's no downside compared to the thief.

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 12:11 Linksil

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 12:03 Bucky

Creston

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 11:50 Verno

The story quests aren't necessarily well balanced but I agree that Thieves could use some love. I still love mine in PvP, I'm an unkillable asshole who frequently distracts groups of 5-10 people from an objective while my team goes after it.

That said, I have a Warrior in the high 60s already and its far more enjoyable while providing more DPS and arguably utility in PVE content.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 11:02 Creston

Creston

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 11:01 Linksil

Mmmm this is good news, one of the reasons for playing wow so long is it's one of the only mac and pc MMO's.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 10:55 Stormdancer

Oooooh, very nice - I always love to see cross-platform compatability.

Now if they'd manage a Linux-friendly version, I'd be very happy.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo