Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2012, 09:30 Ant

Julio wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 05:15:
I'd go back to Windows 95 rather than Windows 8.
How about Windows ME?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2012, 08:36 nin

Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 01:24:
Such use of hyperbole certainly makes it sound like Ballmer is trying way too hard to sell his OS that no one wants.

He's been working on his chair throwing to encourage marketing...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2012, 05:15 Julio

I'd go back to Windows 95 rather than Windows 8.  

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2012, 03:48 J

I really want it! How could anybody resist multiplayer X-Com? And then there's Hitman Aboslution the month after... what do you mean, wrong thread?  

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2012, 01:34 RailWizard

Axis wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:04:
Windows 8 biggest thing since 95?

Maybe if you define "biggest thing" as "biggest hype from Microsoft".

I think he was referring to himself. "biggest thing" at Microsoft....

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2012, 01:24 Prez

Such use of hyperbole certainly makes it sound like Ballmer is trying way too hard to sell his OS that no one wants.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 21:30 crypto

Does this mean win8 won't support internet...?  

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 19:59 Mashiki Amiketo

Windows 9 is what will kill Win7/8. Just like how Win95 killed Win3.1, it's the architecture transition.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 19:15 Domgrief

When Windows 95 came out, a lot of Windows 3.1 disappeared. Many programs were rendered obsolete overnight. Anyone who was looking for the old way of doing things would have been disappointed, but in the long run that was OK, because the new way was better anyway.

Windows 8 is obviously hedging its bets. It almost feels like it's happy with mediocrity.

I was kind of a fan of Metro to start with, then one day someone tried to talk to me on the Messaging app while I was doing some work in Office. Multitasking? Why would I possibly want that?

Some of the under-the-hood enhancements for Windows 8 are really good, but I've found myself dropping back to the desktop mode pretty much the instant my computer starts up. My interaction with Metro (or whatever it's called now) is now pretty much limited to showing results when I hit the Windows key and then start typing an app name.

I'll gladly keep using 8 - the Windows kernel really hasn't taken a step backwards since Windows ME - but I imagine I'll be doing things the "old way" for a long time.

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 18:31 Cutter

m0deth wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 14:35:
I see Balmer inherited Jobs' personal unreality bubble upon his demise.

He's certainly spouting off the same type of crap Jobs used to.

Yeah, but Jobs could at least sucker in foos who pay an absurd amount for App-crap. Ballmer should have been gone long ago. Hell, he should have never been CEO to begin with.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 15:54 Trashy

I'm an Engineer, I do a ton of Spreadsheet work every day.. I Haven't use Windows at work for 7 years, Linux been my only OS of choice. If I'm stuck on a Windows box I just feel neutered.

I switched over to LibreOffice recently, but honestly for my applications I haven't noticed too many improvements over regular OpenOffice..

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 15:09 Axis

Beamer wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 13:09:

See I remember converting our 100+ machines from 3.1 to 95, and yes it was an awesome transition. You're better off these days recommending Linux for office use if you can get them to accept it, Win 7 if not -- sure as shit won't be Win8.
Linux is an awful suggestion for office use - it does not have Office.

OpenOffice is ok for word processing, especially as Word is garbage, but who uses a word processor anymore? Everything is either email, spreadsheets or powerpoint. Nothing compares to Excel, even half as close, and while PowerPoint has issues it's a miracle when combined with Think-Cell.

Made me lol. Looks like someone doesn't work in the industry.

Yours truly,

Axis

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 15:03 sauron

OpenOffice is ok for word processing, especially as Word is garbage, but who uses a word processor anymore?

I do! I've written or contributed to 7 grant proposals since July and each of them has been at least 15-20 pages in MS Word.

But back to the point, Ballmer comes across as a complete idiot. Nobody believes that kind of corporate bullshit anymore. He'd sell more units by acting like a real person and giving some intelligent soundbites. He's living in the past.

Kittens!

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 14:35 m0deth

I see Balmer inherited Jobs' personal unreality bubble upon his demise.

He's certainly spouting off the same type of crap Jobs used to.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 14:32 DangerDog

Ballmer is smoking some good shit if he thinks windows 8 is going to be another win95 success story.

people were lined up at midnight waiting to purchase 95 from big box warehouse stores and any other retailer that could get copies to sell.

and $300 for the low end metro based "Surface" that's not compatible with x86 programs, again he's extremely delusional.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 14:12 SpectralMeat

I am using OpenOffice at work and have no problems with it. The excel part of OpenOffice works fine for our use in engineering. I am sure other companies that are hardcore excel users may not find OpenOffice all that great but for us it works fine. I don't miss Microsoft Office at all.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 13:49 Creston

See I remember converting our 100+ machines from 3.1 to 95, and yes it was an awesome transition. You're better off these days recommending Linux for office use if you can get them to accept it, Win 7 if not -- sure as shit won't be Win8.

OpenOffice is ok for word processing, especially as Word is garbage, but who uses a word processor anymore? Everything is either email, spreadsheets or powerpoint. Nothing compares to Excel, even half as close, and while PowerPoint has issues it's a miracle when combined with Think-Cell.

LibreOffice's version of Excel is getting pretty damn close to Excel in functionality. I have several Excel gurus at work who use the LibreOffice version because of some fucking bug in Excel that's been around since Excel 95 and STILL hasn't been fixed, and they say that other than the fact that every function is in a different location, there's not much difference in functionality anymore.

Anyway, on topic, yeah balmer, W8 is the biggest thing since 95... Rolleyes

It'll be the biggest flop since Vista, that's for sure. Oh, and that was only like five years ago. Your "leadership" of Microsoft sets new standards for CEOs everywhere!

Creston

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 13:09 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 12:04 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo