Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 19, 2012, 10:47 Verno

D_K_night wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 04:22:
Netflix has horrible selection here in Canada. I don't know why they had to segregate the selection between US and Canada.

Content licensing is a total disaster. A typical show might be licensed for a single year, only in a specific territory, only with specific music selections from the show and a host of other restrictions.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 19, 2012, 08:36 nin

D_K_night wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 04:22:
Netflix has horrible selection here in Canada. I don't know why they had to segregate the selection between US and Canada.

Probably dumbass licensing issues from the studios...they seem to go out of their way to encourage piracy by not making stuff available.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. No subject Sep 19, 2012, 04:22 D_K_night

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 19, 2012, 01:37 RailWizard

I have never touched Netflix or Hulu.  

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2012, 23:58 Prez

Netflix is not suffering from competition. Amazon is getting lots of the same movies as part of Prime, but they don't have everything that Netflix does. To pick one example, 'Breaking Bad' isn't on Prime; you have to pay 3 bucks per episode on Amazon. The cost of 3 episodes on Amazon exceeds the Netflix monthly subscription price. That's not even considering that the same 8 bucks is also getting you thousands of other movies and TV epsiodes to watch too. Amazon is putting heat on Netflix, but Netflix is suffering because they are being starved to death by the license holders.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2012, 22:26 Earlyworm

I would hate to see Netflix go.. then I would have to go back to the pirate bay.
Netflix is exactly how I want TV to be and I don't care if the shows are a few seasons late since I am discovering new series all the time.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2012, 22:26 Beamer

Axis wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:05:
Netflix - aint going no where it's embedded and people love it.

10-15% of online reviews paid for in 2013, ya since 10-15% are paid for already...

Bullshit. Netflix has nowhere to go but down. They have difficulty negotiating for content. Cable companies, already in most homes, have less difficulty and already have the infrastructure.

I dropped Netflix at the price increase - there was never anything on it I wanted to watch. And now Amazon offers much if not most of the content and, considering I already paid for Prime, it's free for me.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2012, 20:35 Ratty

Prez wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 17:08:
BobBob wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 14:29:
Netflix and Hulu are useless. I can get all the latest movies and TV shows for free on DVD at the library.

I don't even have a DVD player in my house. And the closest library to me is 8 miles away. Not to mention Hulu is predominantly for TV shows, both classic and modern (a day after they air). Those aren't on DVD's at the library.

I love Netflix. Its biggest troubles can be laid squarely at the feet of movie and TV studios who overr-charge them for streaming licenses in order to put them out of business because they are a competitor, and they have a model that actually gives the customer what they want.
This. Comcast owns NBC and they have their own moneymaking VOD scheme so they are content-owners in direct competition with Netflix plus Netflix is beholden to them to carry their streams. As net neutrality gets increasingly watered down I see trouble ahead.

I'm thinking the studios want to get their own content delivery schemes set up now. Think of Netflix as Steam: they were the first and they had time to improve it into something people really love and the movie studios are the Blizzards and EA Origins starting to hawk their own crappy services. Too late to the party but they'll just take their ball and go home if people don't play by their rules.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2012, 18:17 PHJF

It's a question of viewing style and a lot of patience. At the library, within walking distance, I check-out an entire season once it comes out on DVD.

My grandmother wanted to get the original Tinker Tailor (with Alec Guinness) from her library. She was #70 on the waiting list.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2012, 18:03 BobBob

Leaving the house can be scary.  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2012, 18:02 Scud

Provided someone else hasn't checked it out first, and I don't even have to leave the house with Netflix. I'm not knocking the library mind you but as services go the comparison is a little off.  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2012, 17:15 BobBob

It's a question of viewing style and a lot of patience. At the library, within walking distance, I check-out an entire season once it comes out on DVD.  

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2012, 17:08 Prez

BobBob wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 14:29:
Netflix and Hulu are useless. I can get all the latest movies and TV shows for free on DVD at the library.

I don't even have a DVD player in my house. And the closest library to me is 8 miles away. Not to mention Hulu is predominantly for TV shows, both classic and modern (a day after they air). Those aren't on DVD's at the library.

I love Netflix. Its biggest troubles can be laid squarely at the feet of movie and TV studios who overr-charge them for streaming licenses in order to put them out of business because they are a competitor, and they have a model that actually gives the customer what they want.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2012, 14:29 BobBob

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2012, 12:05 Axis

Netflix - aint going no where it's embedded and people love it.

10-15% of online reviews paid for in 2013, ya since 10-15% are paid for already...

Yours truly,

Axis

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo