Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

This date is usually rough for me, as it was today in 2003 that I lost my mom. It's certainly still a sad occasion, but I'm not finding it as depressing as I have in the past, so I guess after nine years I'm healing just a little.

Healed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Rail Rush.
Stories: Movie Theater 'Ninjas' Will Destroy Rude People, Or At Least Quiet Them Down.
Sherlock Holmes and his fight to the death. Thanks brother19.
Science: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say.
How technology is helping people with speech impairments to talk.
More Data Suggests Fitness Matters More Than Weight. Thanks j.c.f.
Media: Star Wars Tie Fighter Anime.
Paperboy Newsroom.
Collective Soul Cat.
The Funnies: xkcd: Star Ratings.
Dilbert.
Follow-up: Arctic expert predicts final collapse of sea ice within four years.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2012, 09:34 Ant

I remember that day on BN. Frans took over to post.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2012, 08:44 nin

Jim wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 22:02:
Collective Soul rocks. I made my own "Shine" video from my trip to Mount Wilson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLL7BnTcio

They came here to Tulsa years ago, and some asshole kept throwing shit at the stage and finally hit the singer. He left, and said they'd never be back...and so far they haven't.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Warp Sep 19, 2012, 06:11 Bet

So warp theory basically went from 'we would need a trillion dollars and the co-operation of every country on the planet' to 'anyone got a tenner?'  

24. Sea ice collapse. Sep 19, 2012, 04:31 jdreyer

If all that methane makes it into the atmosphere we'll be in a world of hurt. At least we were warned even if we do nothing about it.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2012, 00:54 Sepharo

jimnms wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 23:42:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:07:
25 years for my dad. His Birthday was Sept 9th, Anniversary the 11th, and a died on the 8th and his Funeral on the 14th. Whoever decided it was a good idea to have a open casket really needs to think twice. *shudders*

I guess it depends on where you're from because open casket funerals are pretty much the norm here. I remember as a kid being dragged to funerals. All of them were open casket and it didn't effect me, but I hated going because people were all crying and depressed. Then I think my grandfather was the first one that was closed casket and it was totally different. It was more like a family reunion than the funerals I remembered. People were standing around talking about good memories and generally happy.

My father died when I was 17. When he was sick, he made it clear to us that his funeral be closed casket. His mother though wanted an open casket. We compromised and had an open casket right before the funeral started for close family only then the casket was closed. She still wasn't happy about that and pretty much hated us for it and didn't talk to us until the day she was knocking on death's door.

When I check out, I don't want a funeral. I don't see the point in building expensive metal fucking coffins that are just going to be buried, and then burying me in the ground where I'll take up space forever. Cremate my dead ass, then take the money saved on a funeral and have a memorial party instead.

Take it one step further and donate to science/education. May as well be useful even in death. If they can't use you/it, cremation it'll be anyway.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 23:42 jimnms

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:07:
25 years for my dad. His Birthday was Sept 9th, Anniversary the 11th, and a died on the 8th and his Funeral on the 14th. Whoever decided it was a good idea to have a open casket really needs to think twice. *shudders*

I guess it depends on where you're from because open casket funerals are pretty much the norm here. I remember as a kid being dragged to funerals. All of them were open casket and it didn't effect me, but I hated going because people were all crying and depressed. Then I think my grandfather was the first one that was closed casket and it was totally different. It was more like a family reunion than the funerals I remembered. People were standing around talking about good memories and generally happy.

My father died when I was 17. When he was sick, he made it clear to us that his funeral be closed casket. His mother though wanted an open casket. We compromised and had an open casket right before the funeral started for close family only then the casket was closed. She still wasn't happy about that and pretty much hated us for it and didn't talk to us until the day she was knocking on death's door.

When I check out, I don't want a funeral. I don't see the point in building expensive metal fucking coffins that are just going to be buried, and then burying me in the ground where I'll take up space forever. Cremate my dead ass, then take the money saved on a funeral and have a memorial party instead.

MeanJim on Steam

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 22:02 Jim

Collective Soul rocks. I made my own "Shine" video from my trip to Mount Wilson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLL7BnTcio

Jim

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 21:42 Acleacius

Here's hoping your remember something that made your mom smile.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 19:01 Dr. D. Schreber

I hear ya' Blue. My mom died August 4th, 2003; I'm normally crap with dates but my birthday is August 7th so I don't think I'll be forgetting that one anytime soon.

Re: Star Wars Tie Fighter Anime: Saw this on Radio Dead Air last night and instantly thought "heyyyy another fan thingy that's better than the movies (or in this case Clone Wars) like Ryan Vs Dorkman." Happens a lot with Star Wars, I think.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2012, 19:40.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 17:17 Mr. Tact

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 16:45:
As for BMI, at 16 I was 6'3 and 190lbs and was so thin (cause I biked everywhere), that my family was going to have an intervention because they thought I was doing drugs (HAH 15 years too early). I'm 220lbs now and am considered overweight.
BMI is a broad, vague standard. At best it should be used as a rough guideline.

6'3", 220 lbs -- Might be overweight, might be great. I'm 6' 2.5" and at 206 I was overweight. Because I am a total couch potato and not very fit. I'd probably need to be near 180 lbs to not be overweight. I graduated high school at 150 lbs. and was never given grief about being skinny.

However, if you exercise at all, especially if you lift weights (ie.. have some decent muscle mass), 220 lbs could be great.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 16:59 nin

Stuff like that just burns into my memory and I'll never forget it and I don't want to remember him like that.

That's exactly why I don't go by the open casket. That's not how I want to remember that person.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 16:45 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 13:52:
nin wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 13:47:
Whoever decided it was a good idea to have a open casket really needs to think twice.

I've never, ever been a fan of that. And they typically don't turn out well.

Yeah, I only ever once went to one of those, the mom of my best friend who was like a mom to me, and I still shudder when I think about it.

Creston

This guy was the poster child of wearing a t-shirt and shorts until it was 20 degree's out THEN he'd consider wearing jeans. But this was the first funeral I've been to with a open casket that I actually personally knew the person and it was horrible. He was dressed in a full white suit and was grey'ish white. I was looking for our friends in the hall where the service was being held and got a glimpse of him, and almost left.
Stuff like that just burns into my memory and I'll never forget it and I don't want to remember him like that.

As for BMI, at 16 I was 6'3 and 190lbs and was so thin (cause I biked everywhere), that my family was going to have an intervention because they thought I was doing drugs (HAH 15 years too early). I'm 220lbs now and am considered overweight.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 16:03 Creston

Btw, looks like five years after having sold out, Myzuka and Zeschuk can no longer stand EA:

http://blog.bioware.com/

It's the first post right now. Blue, I keep trying to email this to you, but the news@bluesnews.com keeps bouncing? Might just be my work email server which is a giant PoS.

Edit: It seems to have gone through now, so it was our email server.

Creston

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2012, 16:14.

14. Re: Fitness vs Weight Sep 18, 2012, 15:40 Cutter

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 13:56:
Wow, it took them research to figure that out, huh?

I despise the way we figure out if a person is obese now. Yes, being overweight is unhealthy. But what they define as overweight is nonsensical. You can't just take someone's height and weight and call it. My doctor told me I was overweight. I was like, uh, I am 6'4", 245 lbs of muscle. Could I lose a couple of pounds? Sure, I could always go completely health nut and be at an optimal fat content, but who wants to be THAT anal about it? I have well defined muscles, I'm fit, and I feel good. But because I am over the weight mark for my height, I am counseled for being overweight. Derp. I got the whole diabetes speech too. I wanted to slap her.

And the BMI bullshit doesn't account for body types either, Endomorphic, Ectomorphic and Mesomorphic. Bleh, none of it matters in the end anyway. When your number is up it's up.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 14:12 Mr. Tact

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 14:08:
I'm sure there are more elegant solutions out there but this works for me.
I wanted an elegant solution for this for a LONG time. I've settled on Google Calendar. Does everything I want and need and I don't have to worry about losing it to a dead hard drive, house fire, whatever.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 14:08 NegaDeath

Prez wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 13:51:
I've never had a head for dates. If it wasn't for my wife I'd forget all of my family member's birthdays. Hell, I'd forget my own if it weren't for people around me remembering it. As such, I never remember the dates of any of my friends and loved ones' passing, and I consider myself lucky. My wife lost her mother to cancer 4 years ago, and she remembers all of the dates of any significance concerning her mom and spends them being depressed. Her birthday, her wedding anniversary, mothers day, granparents day, Christmas (she loved Christmas), and of course the day she died. I just find it terribly sad that so many days out of the year are spent dwelling in sorrow. Best to forget the dates and just remember the person in my humble opinion. It's what I do (since I don't remember any dates anyway), and it means less sadness and more fond rememberance I think.

I'm exactly the same. It got to the point that I keep a text file on my desktop containing birthdays and other important anniversary dates to remember, and I check it once a month or so. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions out there but this works for me.

11. Fitness vs Weight Sep 18, 2012, 13:56 Agent.X7

Wow, it took them research to figure that out, huh?

I despise the way we figure out if a person is obese now. Yes, being overweight is unhealthy. But what they define as overweight is nonsensical. You can't just take someone's height and weight and call it. My doctor told me I was overweight. I was like, uh, I am 6'4", 245 lbs of muscle. Could I lose a couple of pounds? Sure, I could always go completely health nut and be at an optimal fat content, but who wants to be THAT anal about it? I have well defined muscles, I'm fit, and I feel good. But because I am over the weight mark for my height, I am counseled for being overweight. Derp. I got the whole diabetes speech too. I wanted to slap her.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 13:52 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 13:47:
Whoever decided it was a good idea to have a open casket really needs to think twice.

Yeah, I only ever once went to one of those, the mom of my best friend who was like a mom to me, and I still shudder when I think about it.

Creston

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 13:51 Prez

I've never had a head for dates. If it wasn't for my wife I'd forget all of my family member's birthdays. Hell, I'd forget my own if it weren't for people around me remembering it. As such, I never remember the dates of any of my friends and loved ones' passing, and I consider myself lucky. My wife lost her mother to cancer 4 years ago, and she remembers all of the dates of any significance concerning her mom and spends them being depressed. Her birthday, her wedding anniversary, mothers day, granparents day, Christmas (she loved Christmas), and of course the day she died. I just find it terribly sad that so many days out of the year are spent dwelling in sorrow. Best to forget the dates and just remember the person in my humble opinion. It's what I do (since I don't remember any dates anyway), and it means less sadness and more fond rememberance I think.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 13:47 nin

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo