Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced

The BioWare Blog is written by Mark Darrah, who introduces himself and Dragon Age III Inquisition, the next installment in the Dragon Age series of action/RPGs. They've been working on this for a couple of years now, and while they are not prepared to share details at the moment, Mark says they will be as open as they can along the way. There are a few tidbits to get us started, including word on a new game engine:

I am pleased to confirm that we are, in fact, working on the next Dragon Age game. Not a big surprise to most of you, I know. We have been working on it in some way for about two years now with the bulk of our efforts ramping up about 18 months ago.

Part of that effort has involved you, our fans, and the feedback you’ve provided for Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age II, and their DLC. We’ve visited message boards, read reviews, and we’ve gone to events to have direct face to face conversations with some of our most passionate fans. We’ve been listening, and we will continue to listen.

Recently, I said that we didn’t want to talk about Dragon Age III unless we had something to show. I’m trying to stick to that plan and won’t be revealing much today. That said, a lot of information and rumors have surfaced recently and we don’t want to hide from them. There are a BUNCH of things that I really want to share with you but I want to do this right, and doing it right requires some more time.

So here’s what I can confirm for now:

• The next game will be called Dragon Age III: Inquisition.
  • We won’t be talking about the story of the game today. Though you can make some guesses from the title.
  • This game is being made by a lot of the same team that has been working on Dragon Age since Dragon Age: Origins. It’s composed of both experienced BioWare veterans and talented new developers.
  • We are working on a new engine which we believe will allow us to deliver a more expansive world, better visuals, more reactivity to player choices, and more customization. At PAX East, we talked about armor and followers… Yeah, that kind of customization. We’ve started with Frostbite 2 from DICE as a foundation to accomplish this.

There’s much more to talk about, of course, but it will have to wait until it’s ready for the prime time.

We are going to be as open as we can. We will continue to have a dialogue with you and answer what questions we can. Keep providing us with your feedback. I’m excited about what we are working on and I hope that you will be too. I know this is going to be hard to believe, but it is just as hard for me not to tell you stuff as it is for you to wait.

With thanks for your enthusiasm, and your patience,

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

77. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 20, 2012, 12:24 Verno

I forgot one great quote from pre-release DA2 info:

"Think like a general, fight like a Spartan!"

Gold!

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 18, 2012, 13:46 Draugr

Prez wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 10:28:
My guess is because free mods (which are often superior to paid content) make being milked for paid dlc less enticing to customers.

Prezactly!

75. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 18, 2012, 10:28 Prez

My guess is because free mods (which are often superior to paid content) make being milked for paid dlc less enticing to customers.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

74. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 18, 2012, 09:15 Verno

I wonder why they are tossing the engine they spent nearly ten years working on for Frostbite 2. DA:O really benefited from user mods and Frostbite 2 is very unfriendly to modding.  

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

73. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 18, 2012, 05:10 EricFate

I'm amazed the company even feels that there is anything left to be gained from trying to continue this franchise. I liked the first game because Brent Knowles was a talented lead designer. The lead designer for the second game was Mike Laidlaw. Given the state of the product he delivered, I have no faith in his ability, and certainly don't intend to invest in a third product. At this point, I feel like they owe ME $60.  

72. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 18, 2012, 04:52 Mashiki Amiketo

Jivaro wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 19:40:
If there are, I am convinced that none of them actually make decisions or have any input. Given DA2 and SWTOR, it is kinda hard to imagine otherwise.
The guys who post here are dev.team members, while I know they're not part of the DA/TOR team, they are part of BW proper still. So with any luck, maybe, just maybe one of them will pass something along.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

71. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 18, 2012, 00:42 xXBatmanXx

I am sure they will follow their format of cut copy paste:

Storyline:
http://rampantgames.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/bwcliches.png

Characters:
http://www.gamesradar.com/recycled-characters-you-see-in-every-bioware-game/

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2012, 09:17.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

70. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 18, 2012, 00:05 Jerykk

Jivaro wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 19:40:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 19:16:
I know that there are guys from Bioware reading this thread, so feel free to pass that along.

If there are, I am convinced that none of them actually make decisions or have any input. Given DA2 and SWTOR, it is kinda hard to imagine otherwise.

Sadly, community managers don't really have much say in the design process.

69. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 23:04 space captain

no time to check the rest of the thread...

but i gotta know..

if this game will feature

THE COMFY CHAIR!

Go forth, and kill!

68. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 19:40 Jivaro

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 19:16:
I know that there are guys from Bioware reading this thread, so feel free to pass that along.

67. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 19:28 dheer

KS wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 12:06:
"One of our driving factors is a completely faithful reproduction of the gameplay experience. PC players can expect a completely identical experience to what console players came to love in DA 2."
I can't seem to find where this quote came from. I checked the bioware social site and the blog.

*Edit
Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 14:18:
I'm pretty sure that what he said was not an actual quote from anyone.
Creston
Ah, ok. I was going to say that would turn me off the game before I even learn anything else. If there's one problem I had with DA2, (and there were a ton) it was the removal of the tactical camera for the PC version. I spent half the damn game fighting the camera.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2012, 19:33.

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

66. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 19:16 Mashiki Amiketo

Well it also didn't help that they pissed all over the mod community with DA2 and no mod tools. So, don't expect anything special on that either. I know that there are guys from Bioware reading this thread, so feel free to pass that along.

Maybe you could take a page out oh...I don't know, Bethesda and Obsidian's playbook on that one.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

65. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 18:59 Julio

This is going to be a huge flop after the steaming pile that was DA2. Trainwreck coming, as Bioware clearly didn't understand why DA2 sold poorly in their comments afterwards. I wouldn't take DA3 for free.

It's not a bonus to have the DA2 team working on this given how badly they messed up DA2.

Things I'm most looking forward to:
-Bioware trying to spin why DA3 sold less than a quarter that DA:O did
-DA3 being all on one map, repeating it constantly in different colors to save money
-Seeing posts from DA3 fans about how great DA3 is
-Bioware folding after multiple flops in a row

64. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 18:46 Kastagir

They confirmed long ago that Laidlaw's still in charge, so I don't see this being of any interest to PC gamers. And if I hear them say they're pulling stuff out of the "Bioware vault" again, I'm going to vomit.

So far, I haven't received my one wish for what I wanted to see from Dragon Age III: another developer's name on the box.

63. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 18:37 xXBatmanXx

Spanish?  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

62. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 17, 2012, 17:56 Creston

Draugr wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 17:05:
You bet they're considering putting coop in, though it won't be what you want. Imagine the blandness that is me3 co-op in the Dragon Age universe!

Undoubtedly, Bioware can't wait to tell you more about the co-op game mode they put in the game despite peoples protests or lack of interest. It'd be challenging for them to try and monetize you enjoying the actual game alongside a friend, so they'll avoid it. It certainly wouldn't be added for the games/players benefit.

FEEDBACK FTW!

I won't argue one way or the other about whether ME3's co-op is bland. It's horde mode, you either find it really fun or it gets boring in a hurry. What's pretty undeniable is that it has made EAware oodles and oodles of cash. There's been tons of people who bought packs with actual money. Sadly and stupidly.

Simpleton user: "Oooh, a new DLC with new characters and a cool new weapon! I'm going to buy packs with real money so I can get this cool new weapon!"

3 days later: *Bioware massively nerfs new weapon, making it completely useless.*

Simpleton user:

FF 2 months.

Simpleton user: "Oooh, a new DLC with new characters and a cool new weapon! I'm going to buy packs with real money so I can get this cool new weapon!"

3 days later: *Bioware massively nerfs new weapon, making it completely useless.*

Simpleton user:

Etc etc etc.

One of the guild wars 2 dudes was talking about balance the other day on their "state of the game" blog, and mentioned that though there's a ton of people crying overpowered and underpowered, they are going to let the game settle for awhile to see whether it's really the case or not. Ie, they're not going to play whack-a-mole every single time a new favorite weapon or class appears.

It made me think that the idiot at Bioware who is in charge of that (fagnan) should maybe go talk to the guys at Arenanet and see how balance SHOULD be done.

And now that the PC has become a barren wasteland where ME3 MP is concerned, NOW all of a sudden Bioware is buffing shit left and right, and fixing broken classes that people have been complaining about for five months etc. It's almost pathetically endearing. "Guys, please come back! Look, we've buffed stuff!"

Anyway, that went very off-topic. All in all, I wouldn't be surprised to see a multiplayer mode of some kind in DA3. With a cash shop behind it.

Creston

61. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 17:43 Creston

Flatline wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 15:38:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 15:23:
Doubtful that they learned anything to be honest, Laidlaw and Gaider were still all about the "awesome button" long past the sales failure that was DAII.

Apparently DA2 outsold DA:O significantly. I'm not sure it was a sales failure.

Yeah, it did no such thing. Origins sold 4+ million copies, and remains, amusingly enough, Bioware's biggest seller ever.

DA2 petered out after 2 million. They might have sold a few more in sales, but it came nowhere near the sales of Origins.

Edit : People already posted that, but oh well.

Creston

60. Re: DA3 sales Sep 17, 2012, 17:11 Agent.X7

Fion wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 16:49:
To me DA:O was the last great game Bioware ever made. I've been nothing but disappointed with every title released since then.

Exactly my thoughts. I will never buy another Bioware game unless it is reviewed by you guys and you tell me it is as good as DA:O.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

59. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 17:09 Dades

Can't wait to defend an area filled with waist high crates from unending hordes of darkspawn while I spam the same 4 abilities over and over. Dragon Age Multiplayer: some fanboy will defend this shit.

Cap off a shitty game with some shoe horned multiplayer the way that only EA can.

58. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 17, 2012, 17:06 HorrorScope

Draugr wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 17:05:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 16:52:
Bad Dos wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 13:22:
DA2 was a totally different game from DA:O and really should never have been called DA2.

That would have saved a lot of bad blood. GW1 and GW2 same thing. Fallouts.... etc.

DA1 imo wasn't good at anything. Way to weak of a system for turn/pause base.
DA2 was good at only action.

So in my world it wasn't ever an amazing franchise.

The biggest news and this goes all the way back... Is they are finally going to have expansive open lands instead of a city block and load. Their games have zero adventure to them.

Now are they going to put coop back in? It sucks when all your predecessors had it and you move forward and it's then taken out. Reminds me of Madden bull shit.

"I have not green lit one game to be developed as a single player experience."

You bet they're considering putting coop in, though it won't be what you want. Imagine the blandness that is me3 co-op in the Dragon Age universe!

Undoubtedly, Bioware can't wait to tell you more about the co-op game mode they put in the game despite peoples protests or lack of interest. It'd be challenging for them to try and monetize you enjoying the game alongside a friend, so they'll avoid it. It certainly wouldn't be added for the games/players benefit.

FEEDBACK FTW!

You are most likely correct, but I'll sniff that out, others maybe not. I'm pretty wary of the co-op moniker on any game and always have to dig a little deeper.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo