Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the week:

1. Borderlands 2
  2. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  4. Arma 2: Combined Operations
  5. FTL: Faster Than Light
  6. Torchlight II
  7. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
  8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Collection 3 Chaos Pack
  10. Borderlands 2 Season Pass

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 11:23 ASeven

So great to see FTL there, and it only released Friday, meaning it only had 3 days of release while the other titles were on release or pre-order the whole week. Glad it's doing so great, this game deserves all success and then more.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 11:03 Slashman

There is no way I'd playing any X game without mods.

The XRM mod alone is making me put time in Albion Prelude.

Skyrim, it goes without saying, would be much less than what it is without mods.

Not all games will benefit the same from mods. Some games are play and forget(which is fine). But if there is a demand, and the developers can make the tools available, I can't see any reason to discourage modding.

It's one of the major advantages that PC gaming has over consoles.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 10:55 Creston

deqer wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:40:
Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:34:
If this doesn't convince publishers how awesome mods are for your game's sales, I don't know what will...
But not in the long run; I think they lose money because people will continue playing "Game #1", because the lifetime for Game #1 goes on because of mods; instead of moving onto the next title in the series "Game #2"

That's a good point, but in the case of Arma II, sales had already basically stopped, and I'm sure they've gone and sold an additional 50-100K units just for the Mod. Releasing a mod yourself can bump flagging sales as a nice stop-gap in between your major releases. And you really don't even have to do it yourself.

The Elder Scrolls series always sells like crazy, despite its overwhelming amount of mods.

Day-Z may just be an outlier, but I think there's a definite advantage in allowing your game to be modded.

Creston

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 10:40 deqer

Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:34:
If this doesn't convince publishers how awesome mods are for your game's sales, I don't know what will...
But not in the long run; I think they lose money because people will continue playing "Game #1", because the lifetime for Game #1 goes on because of mods; instead of moving onto the next title in the series "Game #2"

Things must be made to expire, or we end up in a depression again. None of which is our faults, really; it's the corporations that don't know how to manage themselves. But, now I'm rambling...

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 10:40 Verno

Knoxx had some real warts though that people tend to forget about. The highway sections were obnoxious and filled with back travel time padding. Enemies tended to just instantly gib your shields yet took a ridiculous amount of punishment themselves against most guns/elemental types. The real saving grace was decent writing and the big lootfest that players had been expecting since the game came out.

Borderlands DLC in general was really iffy, I am "passing" on a seasons pass for that reason.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 10:35 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:14:
Two weeks with Skyrim out of the top 10.

Snagged the BL2 season pass at the last minute with gmg's 25% off, making it $22.50. Hope it's worth it.

I thought Knoxx was probably one of (if not THE) best DLCs ever made, not just for Borderlands but for any game period. The zombie island one was pretty fun. Claptrap was so-so, and the arena one was just yawn.

So there's a pretty good chance they'll make some more really good DLC.

Creston

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 10:34 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:20:
Leper wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:17:
I still can't understand the sales of Arma 2. Is it still all about the mod or are people actually buying it based on interest in the core game?

It's all that Day Z mod. It will totally drop out of the list once Day Z becomes a standalone thing.

Sad about Skyrim. Would have been cool to see it stay in the top 10 for a straight year (one week excluded in March)

Creston

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 10:20 Verno

Leper wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:17:
I still can't understand the sales of Arma 2. Is it still all about the mod or are people actually buying it based on interest in the core game?

It's all that Day Z mod. It will totally drop out of the list once Day Z becomes a standalone thing.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 10:17 Leper

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 10:14 nin

Two weeks with Skyrim out of the top 10.

Snagged the BL2 season pass at the last minute with gmg's 25% off, making it $22.50. Hope it's worth it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo