Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Videos

An IGN Live Commentary trailer and a Giant Bomb Quick Look trailer each offer looks at gameplay in Borderlands 2, Gearbox Software's upcoming role-playing shooter sequel. The "quick look" runs 50 minutes, so is only quick compared with the IGN trailer, which runs a full 30 seconds longer than a full viewing of Citizen Kane. With almost three hours of combined footage, it seems safe to presume these trailers have some spoilers for the game, which is due for release this week. Thanks nin.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 14:28 Trevellian

Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 12:25:
Trevellian wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:19:
This... Is exactly my point though. You harbor anger for Pitchford. But he is not Gearbox. I never bothered with Halo on PC because I had it on Xbox. But I also never had any of the issues anyone else had with Borderlands, I played 4 player coop from day one with hamachi, should I have had to? No. But I didn't let it stop be from enjoying the game. Nor did any of the other missing PC features. I don't get the drab 4 color BS either. It most certainly had more than 4 colors. Lots of reds and greens and purples, things on fire etc. it was not 4 color drab brown sorry. As for the enemy types there were skags, bandits, crimson elite, spider ants, the flying things, and there were different variants of all of them? Not much different than Diablo 2 which gets everyone's undying praise. Pitchford is a liar, fine, but he is not the entirety of Gearbox, so hating them? I still see no reason.

Hi. Welcome to the Internet. It's a great place where people are allowed to have different opinions! NO, REALLY! I KNOW, IT'S AMAZING!!

I don't harbor anger for Pitchford, I'm just stating fact. The guy is a fucking toolshed and a liar. I don't let it stop me from buying their games if they are good, but there are plenty of people who do take that into account.

Your original statement was: What was there to hate about them? Honestly? Nothing. Thats right, nothing.

If you don't feel that the reasons I provided are good enough, fine. Again, welcome to the Internet; enjoy having your own opinion. But don't try to shovel someone else's opinion under the mat because it happens to not coincide with yours.

Gearbox and Pitchford have done plenty to make people wary of them. Fortunately, they've also made some really good games.

Creston

I don't recall ever telling you that you were wrong or not to have an opinion. I have no issue with you so don't come at me with that welcome to the Internet anger like I'm deqer. I was simply stating my point of view of the opinions you had. I just think the game gets far more hate for doing some of the same things a certain other game did and got critical acclaim for. Especially when it did it in a nice new artistic package. (I understand the art style isn't for everyone but as a comic reader I loved it).

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 13:29 Dev

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:36:
Gearbox hasn't really done anything great in my opinion.
Opposing Force

36. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 12:36 Fantaz

Who's idea was it at Gearbox to take up the Duke Nukem Forever project and release that turd? (Just because they can?) I continue to look down on the company after that decision.  

35. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 12:25 Creston

Trevellian wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 10:19:
This... Is exactly my point though. You harbor anger for Pitchford. But he is not Gearbox. I never bothered with Halo on PC because I had it on Xbox. But I also never had any of the issues anyone else had with Borderlands, I played 4 player coop from day one with hamachi, should I have had to? No. But I didn't let it stop be from enjoying the game. Nor did any of the other missing PC features. I don't get the drab 4 color BS either. It most certainly had more than 4 colors. Lots of reds and greens and purples, things on fire etc. it was not 4 color drab brown sorry. As for the enemy types there were skags, bandits, crimson elite, spider ants, the flying things, and there were different variants of all of them? Not much different than Diablo 2 which gets everyone's undying praise. Pitchford is a liar, fine, but he is not the entirety of Gearbox, so hating them? I still see no reason.

Hi. Welcome to the Internet. It's a great place where people are allowed to have different opinions! NO, REALLY! I KNOW, IT'S AMAZING!!

I don't harbor anger for Pitchford, I'm just stating fact. The guy is a fucking toolshed and a liar. I don't let it stop me from buying their games if they are good, but there are plenty of people who do take that into account.

Your original statement was: What was there to hate about them? Honestly? Nothing. Thats right, nothing.

If you don't feel that the reasons I provided are good enough, fine. Again, welcome to the Internet; enjoy having your own opinion. But don't try to shovel someone else's opinion under the mat because it happens to not coincide with yours.

Gearbox and Pitchford have done plenty to make people wary of them. Fortunately, they've also made some really good games.

Creston

34. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 10:36 Verno

Gearbox hasn't really done anything great in my opinion. I don't hate them or something silly but they don't really have any stand out products either. Borderlands 2 will hopefully change that and cement their status as a solid AAA studio in my mind.

Randy Pitchford is a lying spergelord but that's neither here nor there

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

33. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 10:19 Trevellian

Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 00:49:
Trevellian wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 17:40:
I never understood anyones beef with Gearbox to begin with. Brothers in Arms was a great game and before that they had done nothing but Half Life expansions and ports. What was there to hate about them? Honestly?

Nothing. Thats right, nothing.

I'm of the opinion that Borderlands is a game that people love to hate just for nitpicky reasons or because they have something against Randy Pitchford.

Borderlands is an easy game to hate. Most of the criticisms against it are spot on: You really DO only fight like four different enemies in the entire game, and 2 of those are 90% of all battles; it IS a big drab grey brown world; it was a giant piece of shit to get working multiplayer, etc etc. This was DESPITE the fact that Pitchford promised that the PC version of the game would get lots of love and attention. (it didn't. It was as straight an xbox port as you'd ever seen.)

You also seem to forget the Halo port, which was done by Gearbox, which was an absolutely unmitigated piece of shit, to which Randy Pitchford himself basically told everyone "Well, if the game runs like shit then your computer just fucking sucks!"

Ignoring that even people with absolute state of the art hardware at the time couldn't run the fucking thing. He finally admitted that it was a bad port about two or three years later. (Ie, after he'd already fleeced everyone from their money.)

Finally, before they became Gearbox, Pitchford was one of the main guys at Rebel Boat Rocker, and was literally one of the worst fucking loudmouths in the entire industry, who pissed off entire slews of other devs and fans in the process.

So to say that people have "nothing" is just stupid.

Personally I loved the shit out of Borderlands, and I'm terribly excited about Borderlands 2. Randy Pitchford, however, is still a giant fucking toolshed.

Creston

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2012, 10:29.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

32. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 10:02 HorrorScope

For Borderlands 1 you should have downloaded the little mod-addon which added a few options into the game which were missing. Via a screenshots from B2, I see those have been added into the stock game. No brainer.

As for networking, it almost doesn't matter the game someone out there is going to have issues with it and state "all my other games work". I had no problem with networking Borderlands. I also didn't have 6 months of issues with L4D2. That said here's to it being even better and working for all.

31. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 09:27 xXBatmanXx

Doesn't matter to me, I am going to PLAY THE HELL OUT OF IT!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

30. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 09:09 theyarecomingforyou

I loved the original Borderlands and put over 100hrs into it, so Borderlands 2 was always going to be a day-one purchase for me. As it stands it's shaping up to be really good and the fact it's using Steamworks is a definite plus. My brother bought me the DLC Season Pass for my birthday and both of my brothers have pre-ordered the game, so we'll get a bit of online co-op going - it's so much better when you have a group of friends/family and voice-chat.

I've already updated my nVidia drivers to the latest version with support for Borderlands 2. Now I just have to wait until the 21st when it's released here in the UK (it still pisses me off that most publishers won't do international launches simultaneously).

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

29. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 08:57 Verno

Tom wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 00:41:
nin wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 21:18:
Considering it's steamworks this time, the networking should be a lot smother.

As far as the other issues, look here.

Does Steamworks really provide that level of fundamental networking support for games? If so did they use it? I wonder.

Steamworks is no silver bullet, its a solid API but you still need to tie it all together. Brink was a Steamworks game and it was barely functional. Most of the previews were based on singleplayer content unfortunately so no one really knows how it will shake out. Based on their other improvements let's hope they learned their lesson.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

28. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 08:35 nin

Still going to be cautious though.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 08:22 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 05:25:
Does Steamworks really provide that level of fundamental networking support for games? If so did they use it? I wonder.

That's kind of the point, they provide all that infrastructure for integration with the Steam friends list, matchmaking, etc. I guess the developer could still fuck up the implementation, but getting rid of Gamespy solves most of the problems right off the bat.

Steam matchmaking is no walk in the park. For more than 6 months after release, L4D1 matchmaking was HORRIBLE. Literally you could spend 2 hours in and out of lobby with friends trying to start a game (I timed it a couple times). Finally not too long before L4D2 release, some valve ppl wheeled their desks over and fixed some of the massive major bugs with the matchmaking system.

And then there's the new Mann vs Machine mode in TF2 that also uses the matchmaker. Valve actually taunts you in the queue screen and says it has 2700+ empty servers, only 300 filled, and yet it sits there looking for server for almost 10 minutes while you are waiting in a queue. This was as of tonight when a friend and I created a party. Granted, 10 mins in a queue is nothing as bad as valve's matchmaker used to be, but WHY THE FRACK am I waiting in a queue at all, especially with almost 3000 empty servers? Not even l4d games had you wait in a queue.

You know what? Now that I think about it... I bet in TF2 valve didn't give the matchmaker power to have an empty server change level. I bet it is designed to ping the entire list of TF2 servers (not just the MvM ones, and not using a master server browser) looking for the specified map, trying to find one thats not horriblah ping for everyone.
Or just as likely, their queue is very poorly optimized and can't funnel the 300 or more people in line fast enough into servers. Afterall they can't seem to keep their front end/load balancing going on any major sale or release (despite that the content servers are never at 100%).
That would be exactly the kind of sloppy testing and implementation I've seen from valve in the past.

Edit: Also tonight, I tried a single player no party, join game in progress, any map. It took over 6 minutes to join me to a server. Again, about 2800 empty servers, 300 full.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2012, 08:50.

26. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 07:36 Dades

Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 00:49:
Finally, before they became Gearbox, Pitchford was one of the main guys at Rebel Boat Rocker, and was literally one of the worst fucking loudmouths in the entire industry, who pissed off entire slews of other devs and fans in the process.

He still never shuts up. Try to watch any preview where hes present, he natters away the entire time, you can't even enjoy whatever is happening on screen since he has already started describing it in ridiculous detail.

25. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 05:25 jacobvandy

That's kind of the point, they provide all that infrastructure for integration with the Steam friends list, matchmaking, etc. I guess the developer could still fuck up the implementation, but getting rid of Gamespy solves most of the problems right off the bat.

24. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 00:49 Creston

Trevellian wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 17:40:
I never understood anyones beef with Gearbox to begin with. Brothers in Arms was a great game and before that they had done nothing but Half Life expansions and ports. What was there to hate about them? Honestly?

Nothing. Thats right, nothing.

I'm of the opinion that Borderlands is a game that people love to hate just for nitpicky reasons or because they have something against Randy Pitchford.

Borderlands is an easy game to hate. Most of the criticisms against it are spot on: You really DO only fight like four different enemies in the entire game, and 2 of those are 90% of all battles; it IS a big drab grey brown world; it was a giant piece of shit to get working multiplayer, etc etc. This was DESPITE the fact that Pitchford promised that the PC version of the game would get lots of love and attention. (it didn't. It was as straight an xbox port as you'd ever seen.)

You also seem to forget the Halo port, which was done by Gearbox, which was an absolutely unmitigated piece of shit, to which Randy Pitchford himself basically told everyone "Well, if the game runs like shit then your computer just fucking sucks!"

Ignoring that even people with absolute state of the art hardware at the time couldn't run the fucking thing. He finally admitted that it was a bad port about two or three years later. (Ie, after he'd already fleeced everyone from their money.)

So to say that people have "nothing" is just stupid.

Personally I loved the shit out of Borderlands, and I'm terribly excited about Borderlands 2. Randy Pitchford, however, is still a giant fucking toolshed.

Creston

23. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 00:41 Tom

nin wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 21:18:
Considering it's steamworks this time, the networking should be a lot smother.

As far as the other issues, look here.

As for the other issues, thanks for the links. I hadn't seen that. Good of them to recognize where they screwed up and make an effort to fix it next time around. Maybe there is hope for these guys after all. Still going to be cautious though.

22. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 17, 2012, 00:16 Jerykk

Alamar wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 23:25:
Fantaz wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 22:33:
Teddy wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 22:25:
Fantaz wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 19:35:
I mentioned in the Borderlands 2 IGN review comments section, but I suppose I'll ask here also: When I see RPG/FPS I think Deus Ex/Bioshock. I loved System Shock co-op, wondering will I get a similar experience?

Absolutely and irrefutably no.

While those games would be considered RPG/FPS games, this is more FPS/RPG. If that makes any sense. Shooter first, RPG a distant second. More akin to Diablo as a first person shooter than any sort of deep involved RPG experience.

Ahh... I see. I hate it when reviewers and members of the game dev community like to throw around words like "RPG elements" and the like for terms which don't even exist. I'd like to call those more like advanced-FPS games. (I don't want to hear "RPG" mentioned plz)

I have always considered 'RPG elements' things like xp and levels, skill/stat boosts, etc... If you're looking for the story 'RPG elements', try some indie titles, as it rarely makes it into the AAA space... regarding FPS' that is...
-Alamar

Simple things like skill trees and leveling have become so ubiquitous that they can't really be classified as RPG elements anymore.

A true RPG element would be the ability to choose the way you want to play, be it combat, stealth or diplomacy (like Deus Ex). If a game only offers different ways to kill people, that's not really an RPG element.

21. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 16, 2012, 23:25 Alamar

Fantaz wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 22:33:
I mentioned in the Borderlands 2 IGN review comments section, but I suppose I'll ask here also: When I see RPG/FPS I think Deus Ex/Bioshock. I loved System Shock co-op, wondering will I get a similar experience?

While those games would be considered RPG/FPS games, this is more FPS/RPG. If that makes any sense. Shooter first, RPG a distant second. More akin to Diablo as a first person shooter than any sort of deep involved RPG experience.

Ahh... I see. I hate it when reviewers and members of the game dev community like to throw around words like "RPG elements" and the like for terms which don't even exist. I'd like to call those more like advanced-FPS games. (I don't want to hear "RPG" mentioned plz)

I have always considered 'RPG elements' things like xp and levels, skill/stat boosts, etc... If you're looking for the story 'RPG elements', try some indie titles, as it rarely makes it into the AAA space... regarding FPS' that is...

-Alamar

20. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 16, 2012, 22:33 Fantaz

19. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 16, 2012, 22:31 Dades

These games have little RPG elements to speak of, they are implemented in the most rudimentary way. If you want an FPS/RPG hybrid, look elsewhere. This is really just a shooter with some grinding elements tacked on.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo