Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Metaverse

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2012, 14:16 Mashiki Amiketo

Bhruic wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 04:27:
And yet, sadly, they are still better than Bell. It's one of the problems of going with a 3rd party, things are fine as long as nothing goes wrong, but as soon as something does, it's an uphill battle vs companies who have no real desire to be helpful.
I don't know about that. They're both pretty fucked up. Bell for example will pull line cards, and walk away. Rogers will simply disconnect customers. The real problem is that the CRTC rules have 0 bite for when they do this. What needs to happen is our MP's need to craft a new law or force the CRTC to change them.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2012, 07:30 Dades

Cutter wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 00:58:
Pick any city in Canada and you can find an unlimited ISP.

No you are wrong, you can't simply pick any city in Canada and get unlimited internet. There are way too many geographical limitations and availability issues to make such a statement.

30. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2012, 06:15 Golwar

Prez wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 21:44:
I'd say that is rather insulting that you only seem to know that the rejection of torture and slavery are parts of the human rights.

He says "includes", he didn't say they "are limited to". That doesn't imply at all the ignorance you are inexplicably assuming exists on his part. The remaining substantive rights as agreed upon by international councils (which include the right to a fair trial, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc.) still are all of far greater importance and significance than whether or not someone has to pay more for exceeding a data cap on their internet usage.

If he should know that there aren't such limitations it seems even dumber to call it an "insult".
Either the rights cover more by definition than just the essentials and then it is absolutely legit to mention it as “almost a human rights violation” or they don't.
There is no middle ground. Either he had no clue about the definition of human rights or a weird idea about insults.

29. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2012, 04:27 Bhruic

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 02:41:
Rogers system is a mess on TPIA shit.

And yet, sadly, they are still better than Bell. It's one of the problems of going with a 3rd party, things are fine as long as nothing goes wrong, but as soon as something does, it's an uphill battle vs companies who have no real desire to be helpful.

28. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2012, 02:41 Mashiki Amiketo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 23:11:
You are in Canada? That is WAY better pricing than I can get here in Minneapolis.....they did recently recind their cap at Comcast, but they still monitor everyone....
Yeah. Though up until 2 years ago, before it was available. The best I could get was cable@6/1, with a 60GB cap where they'd charge me 44.95/mo with a premium rate of $2.50/GB to a max of $50/mo.

Fantaz wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 23:35:
Honestly I need to switch to Teksavvy. It's very easy for me to exceed 120GB a month, and during E3 time with lots of game videos on Youtube, I'm just not allowed to watch half of them with risk of going over. The issue is that ISPs get consumers stuck into using their e-mails, and it's very hard for me to move because I do all my e-mailing on my ISP's e-mail service.
It'll take you about 4 minutes to do it, if they have it in your area. If you're renting a modem from rogers, order a new one from teksavvy and overlap your service by two weeks. I was one of the first people in my area to switch over and that's what I did. Make sure when you switch you have them roll a truck and have them slap a TPIA tag(Third Party Internet Access) on your box outside. Rogers likes to "disconnect" customers like that. Though technically it's not illegal to reconnect yourself, it is illegal for them to tamper with your service by doing it. Good luck catching them doing it though, and not playing dumb.

Rogers system is a mess on TPIA shit.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

27. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2012, 01:28 NegaDeath

Cutter wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 00:58:
Dades wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 22:22:
Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 22:08:
Rationalize being lazy all you like but it doesn't change the fact you're completely wrong.

Yes, everyone is wrong except you because Montreal is definitely all of Canada. That's the ticket.

Rolleyes Rolleyes

Pick any city in Canada and you can find an unlimited ISP. Stop herping the derp.

I guess I better tell Regina we don't count as a city then. Though Saskatoon has been telling us that for years.

26. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2012, 00:58 Cutter

Dades wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 22:22:
Rationalize being lazy all you like but it doesn't change the fact you're completely wrong.

Yes, everyone is wrong except you because Montreal is definitely all of Canada. That's the ticket.

Rolleyes Rolleyes

Pick any city in Canada and you can find an unlimited ISP. Stop herping the derp.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2012, 00:21 Prez

...they did recently rescind their cap at Comcast, but they still monitor everyone....

Probably because they are switching to tiered billing like they are in the process of dong in Nashville, TN. 300gb per month, with charges for every 50gb you exceed that by. I'm on Comcast (no other viable choices in my area), and I am NOT looking forward to it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 23:35 Fantaz

For Rogers cable internet, this is what we've got:

Ultra Lite – $5.00/GB to a maximum of $100.00 - I can't even find this package...
Lite – $4.00/GB to a maximum of $100.00 - speeds: 6/0.25, $38.49/mo. (20GB cap) <-- ouch...
Express – $2.00/GB to a maximum of $100.00 - speeds: 18/0.5, $48.99/mo. (80GB cap)
Extreme – $1.50/GB to a maximum of $100.00 - speeds: 28/1, $61.99/mo. (120GB cap) <-- this is what I have
Extreme Plus – $1.25/GB to a maximum of $100.00 - speeds: 32/1, $71.99/mo. (150GB cap)
Ultimate – $0.50/GB to a maximum of $100.00 - speeds: 150/10, $122.99/mo. (250GB cap)

Honestly I need to switch to Teksavvy. It's very easy for me to exceed 120GB a month, and during E3 time with lots of game videos on Youtube, I'm just not allowed to watch half of them with risk of going over. The issue is that ISPs get consumers stuck into using their e-mails, and it's very hard for me to move because I do all my e-mailing on my ISP's e-mail service.

23. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 23:11 xXBatmanXx

Anyway, the way it stands for Cable/DSL is all over the place here. But I'm on Teksavvy paying $49/mo with tax on my own modem for 300GB/mo@25/1 while rogers charges $49/mo for 25/1 with a 70GB cap. If paid an extra $8 bucks I could get unlimited.

You are in Canada? That is WAY better pricing than I can get here in Minneapolis.....they did recently recind their cap at Comcast, but they still monitor everyone....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 22:22 Dades

Rolleyes Rolleyes

21. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 22:08 Cutter

Dades wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 18:31:
Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 17:57:
As a matter of fact they actually do. Most people, however, are simply to lazy to do the legwork. So they just sign on with the major players like Bell or Rogers and end up taking it up the ass sans lube. And they piss and moan about it but somehow can't be bothered to shop around. And not only do I not have caps I pay $30 per month for the same service most of those lazy assholes pay $50 with their bandwith restrictions and caps. So don't roll your fucking eyes because you're one of the shiftless masses

Facts are not things to be invented because you need to cover up a very ignorant remark. Canada is a large country and acting like everyone has the same options as your geographical area is disingenous and incorrect. DSL resale is mandated but not necessarily prevalent and cable resale is still very much in its infancy. There are few capless providers in many areas and many people do not have access in the first place. I'm sure that you think such people should pull themselves up by their bootstraps and move or found their own ISP though Rolleyes

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 21:44 Prez

I'd say that is rather insulting that you only seem to know that the rejection of torture and slavery are parts of the human rights.

He says "includes", he didn't say they "are limited to". That doesn't imply at all the ignorance you are inexplicably assuming exists on his part. The remaining substantive rights as agreed upon by international councils (which include the right to a fair trial, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc.) still are all of far greater importance and significance than whether or not someone has to pay more for exceeding a data cap on their internet usage.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2012, 22:58.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 20:57 PHJF

I can see the capping internet = capping information = limiting speech argument. But then again they don't just shut down your internets after you hit xxGB, they just charge you more. Which begs the question, why are we forced to go through monopolized telecom companies to access the internet? There was a move here in NC for allowing municipalities to form their own internet access and guess what,the state legislature actually passed a law making it harder to do just that. Various states have outright bans on municipal telecom networks, and even more have some sort of restrictions on them.

Hey why don't we sell Time Warner our roads so we can pay twice as much to drive on them while they cut the speed limits in half.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 19:01 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 16:29:
Oh please. I've been with my provider for almost 10 years www.aei.ca and they have never had caps. There are many other providers out there who are the same. You simply need to get off your ass and shop around.
There's plenty of places in Canada where you can't get an ISP without cap's still. About half of the prairies and maritimes is like that, a third of Quebec. About 20% of Ontario(no DSLAM or leasing agreements with Cable Co's), and so on. Which leaves you to be served by ... Bell, Rogers, Telus, or one or two others who hold a monopoly position.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 18:51 killer_roach

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 18:43:
You are right, but wouldn't it be grand if it was! I say lets make it a Right, because it benefits the masses and not the few.

Positive rights aren't really rights, as it relies on trust in an outside agent to provide said rights for you. They only go as far as said benevolent agent can (or, more accurately, should) be trusted.

16. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 18:43 HorrorScope

Golwar wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 18:36:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 13:57:
Human rights violations include stuff like torture and slavery. The comparison here is actually pretty insulting.

I'd say that is rather insulting that you only seem to know that the rejection of torture

You are right, but wouldn't it be grand if it was! I say lets make it a Right, because it benefits the masses and not the few.

15. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 18:36 Golwar

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 13:57:
Human rights violations include stuff like torture and slavery. The comparison here is actually pretty insulting.

Human rights developed as well as humanity did. Basic political and civil rights are part of the humans rights. And not just since yesterday. In the worst case one could claim that is a question of the definition, but it surely isn't an insult just because you lack the knowledge.

14. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 18:31 Dades

As a matter of fact they actually do. Most people, however, are simply to lazy to do the legwork. So they just sign on with the major players like Bell or Rogers and end up taking it up the ass sans lube. And they piss and moan about it but somehow can't be bothered to shop around. And not only do I not have caps I pay $30 per month for the same service most of those lazy assholes pay $50 with their bandwith restrictions and caps. So don't roll your fucking eyes because you're one of the shiftless masses

Facts are not things to be invented because you need to cover up a very ignorant remark. Canada is a large country and acting like everyone has the same options as your geographical area is disingenous and incorrect. DSL resale is mandated but not necessarily prevalent and cable resale is still very much in its infancy. There are few capless providers in many areas and many people do not have access in the first place. I'm sure that you think such people should pull themselves up by their bootstraps and move or found their own ISP though Rolleyes

13. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 18:27 Rattlehead

Dades wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 16:56:
Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 16:29:
Oh please. I've been with my provider for almost 10 years www.aei.ca and they have never had caps. There are many other providers out there who are the same. You simply need to get off your ass and shop around.

Everyone has the same options as you do obviously Rolleyes

As a matter of fact they actually do. Most people, however, are simply to lazy to do the legwork. So they just sign on with the major players like Bell or Rogers and end up taking it up the ass sans lube. And they piss and moan about it but somehow can't be bothered to shop around. And not only do I not have caps I pay $30 per month for the same service most of those lazy assholes pay $50 with their bandwith restrictions and caps. So don't roll your fucking eyes because you're one of the shiftless masses.
Oh look Mr. ISP connoisseur here. Can you ever reply without being a condescending asshole?

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo