Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 17, 2012, 01:32 NegaDeath

I'm glad these people who keep preaching the PC is dead don't work in the emergency room.

Doctor:"I'm calling it, 6:54, patient died"
Nurse:"But Doctor he's looking right at you"
Patient:"I'm getting better!"
Doctor:"No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 17, 2012, 00:24 Prez

MisterBenn wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 22:35:
Now I'm going to have to set up a museum dedicated to the PC gaming excesses of yesteryear, with the prime exhibit being a 32 gig quad core i7 with SSD that is used primarily to play Faster Than Light...

I bet you could get better framerates in FTL if you overclocked that bad boy...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 22:35 MisterBenn

Now I'm going to have to set up a museum dedicated to the PC gaming excesses of yesteryear, with the prime exhibit being a 32 gig quad core i7 with SSD that is used primarily to play Faster Than Light...  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 22:13 Prez

MisterBenn wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 22:06:
Fuck, I missed the boat. My new set of PC components arrive today...

Luddite.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 22:06 MisterBenn

Fuck, I missed the boat. My new set of PC components arrive today...  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 18:48 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 18:31:
Prez wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 15:46:
Must be a day for butt-stupid articles here on Bluesnews. Between this and the FBI entrapment one, I don't know which one is more ludicrous.

I know right. I was thinking, 'Is it April Fools or something?' Guess it's just Derp Day for articles.

AllThingsD is to the tech press what Fox is to news. They take otherwise benign or unimportant points and blow them all out of proportion to generate clicks through controversy. They're also to Apple what Fox is to Republicans beyond that. They're an embarrassment to what little is left of journalism in the enthusiast press.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

6. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 18:31 Cutter

Prez wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 15:46:
Must be a day for butt-stupid articles here on Bluesnews. Between this and the FBI entrapment one, I don't know which one is more ludicrous.

I know right. I was thinking, 'Is it April Fools or something?' Guess it's just Derp Day for articles.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 15:46 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 15:13 DG

jdreyer wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 14:20:
I used to work for a section of a fortune 500 company that made niche software. We were a dominant player in the industry. In one section, we provided the main software for the #1 and #2 largest companies in the industry in the USA. Our customers were extremely satisfied: our retention rate was 98%. However, b/c our section was only about 10% profitable and not 20% (the corporate profitability "standard") they were shopping us around and were going to shut us down until the SVPs bought us out and spun us off into our own much smaller company. 10% profitability and a dominant player in the industry and they were going to shut us down. Insanity.
One possibility here is 10% profitability is whilst consuming a ton of cash.

Say a division turns over $100 and makes $10 in profit. So far so good. But what if it is soaking up $1,000 of cash in order to do so? Equipment, work in progress, debtors... The return on investment is only 1%. ROI is much more important for a listed company than net profit ratio.

Another possibility is that the 10% is before HQ costs (or even other costs/opportunity costs like rent on owned premises). Some companies literally bill a recharge of the HQ costs, so it comes out of internal accounts, in others it's purely a year-end accounting thing, in which case nobody realises it's a loss except accounting and the board.

Or, obviously, the company were just insane douches.

3. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 14:20 jdreyer

Thanks Horrorscope. I was coming here to type the same thing. It was a honey trap, and I fell victim.

Sort of like HP whom planned on dropping their PC's, even though they are #1 in the world, because the profit margins are too thin. They would give up all that revenue that pays for 10's of thousand employees and prestige. Because there is another market that is much smaller for them, but has greater growth potential and profit margins. Problem being you are ranked 25th there and are very very far behind.

I used to work for a section of a fortune 500 company that made niche software. We were a dominant player in the industry. In one section, we provided the main software for the #1 and #2 largest companies in the industry in the USA. Our customers were extremely satisfied: our retention rate was 98%. However, b/c our section was only about 10% profitable and not 20% (the corporate profitability "standard") they were shopping us around and were going to shut us down until the SVPs bought us out and spun us off into our own much smaller company. 10% profitability and a dominant player in the industry and they were going to shut us down. Insanity.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 12:29 Agent.X7

Yup, total wank-off article. They want to keep publishing shit like that so they can look back and say "See? We saw it coming!"

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

1. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 11:57 HorrorScope

And here are the numbers they try to use to substantiate it:

"During that period, PCs accounted for the consumption of 49 percent of DRAM produced around the world"

The first time it dipped below 50%. "So obviously it's over, duh".

But 2nd place is a whopping 13% of ram produce, cell phones.

That is how they figured this one out. PC's are over because it solely can't eat up over half of all the ram produced.

Sort of like HP whom planned on dropping their PC's, even though they are #1 in the world, because the profit margins are too thin. They would give up all that revenue that pays for 10's of thousand employees and prestige. Because there is another market that is much smaller for them, but has greater growth potential and profit margins. Problem being you are ranked 25th there and are very very far behind.

It's just more stupid shit we have to do because of how Wall Street works. Dominating a market is no longer good, because you are not growing once you dominate. You need to scrap that and find the next Ginsu. If CEO's need to work that way, they need to exit the company themselves and go find another small upstart with a hot product and ride that out. Let the other grown ups that count in the 1000's to keep the dominate product alive and thriving well enough. That way everyone wins, the greedy bastard can continue to get pumped money by small upstarts. And the other side, which they call thee economy, the millions of needed jobs are still there for the middle class.

Some more #'s from the article saying "It's over":
Last year, PC makers shipped about 353 million machines, an increase of about one-half of one percent, - Again this isn't what wall street wants to see, but it is still 353 million machines and a lot of families fed and profits made. Just not enough to buy another beach house from just playing the buying and selling of paper.

Personally I see the synergies between all the platforms they mention: PC's - Servers - Laptops - Tablets and Cells.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2012, 12:36.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo