Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Legal Briefs

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 18, 2012, 13:59 Quboid

Bhruic wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 10:42:
Quboid wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 07:44:
If they want to charge subscription, force you to watch commercials, make their prime-time programmes pay-per-view and charge you $5 every time someone says "bazinga", they can. I don't understand why people think that broadcasters are only allowed one revenue stream. They can do what they like, within reason, as long as you have the right to tell them to fuck off.

I think everyone is aware of the fact that as a business, barring legalities, they can do whatever they want when it comes to pricing. I haven't seen anyone arguing whether or not they can do something, just whether they should. So unless you are making the argument that because they can force people to watch commercials they should, I'm not sure what point you think you are countering.

From earlier in this thread:
skipping commercials should be my right!

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2012, 10:42 Bhruic

Quboid wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 07:44:
If they want to charge subscription, force you to watch commercials, make their prime-time programmes pay-per-view and charge you $5 every time someone says "bazinga", they can. I don't understand why people think that broadcasters are only allowed one revenue stream. They can do what they like, within reason, as long as you have the right to tell them to fuck off.

I think everyone is aware of the fact that as a business, barring legalities, they can do whatever they want when it comes to pricing. I haven't seen anyone arguing whether or not they can do something, just whether they should. So unless you are making the argument that because they can force people to watch commercials they should, I'm not sure what point you think you are countering.

11. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2012, 07:44 Quboid

TheEmissary wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 23:33:
Quboid wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 19:29:
Ozmodan wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 14:57:
CBS cracks me up, they are charging Dish big bucks to show their channel and they are whining about getting advertising skipped? Double dipping jerks if you ask me. They are upping my cable bill so I can watch that channel, skipping commercials should be my right!

Oh I already do that through the PC, it is so easy to do.

Ah yes, the right to skip commercials. That's up there with the rights people are dying to get across the Middle East.

I skip commercials all the time but I don't have the sort of sense of entitlement that makes me think this is a right. If the provider bans it, tough. Don't be their customer. If (when!) enough people do this, then they'll change or die.

It may not be a right of the consumer but I feel they are certainly entitled to be able to skip the commercials on paid television services. For over the air broadcasts no one is entitled to skip the commercials because that is how the programming is supported. On Cable and satellite the subscriber is already paying the tier fees to have those channels.

The channel owners like CBS are going to be fighting a losing battle as there are multiple legal ways to skip commercials. People have been skipping commercial by watching live TV with a 5-10min delay or watching it off DVR and skipping them with 30sec advance. If people paid for the content to be brought to them then they should be able to decide how it gets consumed.

- Quboid

10. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2012, 23:33 TheEmissary

Quboid wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 19:29:
CBS cracks me up, they are charging Dish big bucks to show their channel and they are whining about getting advertising skipped? Double dipping jerks if you ask me. They are upping my cable bill so I can watch that channel, skipping commercials should be my right!

Ah yes, the right to skip commercials. That's up there with the rights people are dying to get across the Middle East.

I skip commercials all the time but I don't have the sort of sense of entitlement that makes me think this is a right. If the provider bans it, tough. Don't be their customer. If (when!) enough people do this, then they'll change or die.

It may not be a right of the consumer but I feel they are certainly entitled to be able to skip the commercials on paid television services. For over the air broadcasts no one is entitled to skip the commercials because that is how the programming is supported. On Cable and satellite the subscriber is already paying the tier fees to have those channels.

The channel owners like CBS are going to be fighting a losing battle as there are multiple legal ways to skip commercials. People have been skipping commercial by watching live TV with a 5-10min delay or watching it off DVR and skipping them with 30sec advance. If people paid for the content to be brought to them then they should be able to decide how it gets consumed.

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 15, 2012, 21:18 HorrorScope

Alamar wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 20:45:
Back in my day, commercials were when you went to the bathroom... And you damn well liked it... But not too much, or you'd miss some of your show : )

-Alamar

But then bladder infection drugs came out so you don't have to piss every 5 minutes. TV will never be the same.

8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2012, 20:45 Alamar

Back in my day, commercials were when you went to the bathroom... And you damn well liked it... But not too much, or you'd miss some of your show : )

-Alamar

7. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2012, 19:29 Quboid

- Quboid

6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2012, 19:14 Ray Ban

KS wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 11:51:
IIRC, one of the characters in Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land got wealthy selling a system that recognized ads on TV and skipped them. He also had a variation that detected TV preachers and changed the channel.

That character had much better lawyers!

I haven't read that book, but I have read Carl Sagan's "Contact" (1985). S.R. Hadden became a billionaire by creating the "Adnix".

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

5. Zynga vs. EA Sep 15, 2012, 18:50 jdreyer

I gots me a BIG bucket of popcorn. This is gonna be good.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2012, 18:29 Cutter

CBS is simply in the same boat as all these other dinosaurs who don't know how to deal with the changes that technology brings. No one has ever liked advertising but the model was a necessary evil. Time to adapt and change or die. Welcome to evolution.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2012, 15:29 Dr. D. Schreber

lol at Zynga trying to take a moral high ground, what with their half-billion dollar day care center.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2012, 14:57 Ozmodan

1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2012, 11:51 KS

IIRC, one of the characters in Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land got wealthy selling a system that recognized ads on TV and skipped them. He also had a variation that detected TV preachers and changed the channel.

That character had much better lawyers!

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo