Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light

FTL: Faster Than Light is now available from Steam, where this space combat strategy game is being offered for 10% off over the next week. Word is:

In FTL you experience the atmosphere of running a spaceship trying to save the galaxy. It's a dangerous mission, with every encounter presenting a unique challenge with multiple solutions.

This "spaceship simulation roguelike-like" allows you to take your ship and crew on an adventure through a randomly generated galaxy filled with glory and bitter defeat.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 16, 2012, 21:31 Beamer

Went to the final fight, finally, on Easy, though. The game must have lasted over an hour, and nothing could touch me.

Except that final fight, which washed the floor with me. Unfortunately I'd lost 2 crewmembers in an O2 leak due to a boarding mantis squad, and went into the final battle with just 3 crewmembers, but a maxed out ship. 4 weapons, 2 drones, 4 shields, the original pilot and gunner, etc.

Fun. Lots of fun. Going to be hard to top that one.
Unfortunately Borderlands 2 comes out, and I just got into the Hawken Alpha, so way too little time...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 21:44 .Drifter

Jerykk wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 04:50:
.net_Drifter wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 04:08:
Lol, last version of the beta gave me a crypt.win32 virus warning in NOD32, I send it to eset and they verify a false positive.
Game is updated again on steam for release . . .
CRYPT.WIN32 virus warning again . . .
Apparently something they're doing is giving Nod32 fits . . .

Heuristic scans are inherently unreliable. If a game is on Steam, I seriously doubt it has any viruses. I'm pretty sure Valve at least runs a virus scan before uploading anything to their servers.

Yeah, I figured it was a false positive again, just find it amusing that this is the only game that's done this on steam on this computer.

As for the game itself, really digging it. For a measly 10 bucks for the kickstarter, I got a steam key, a GoG key, and a DRM free download of the windows/apple/linux versions. Now THAT is cool.
If these guys do another kickstarter, I'm going to toss more than 10 bucks their way next time.

37. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 20:19 MisterBenn

These roguelikes (I think this game stretches that term) are based around the "sport" of pitting yourself against the randomly selected encounters with scarce resources and improvising your way to survival or success with no safety net. The unprotected environment is part of the fun, you could copy the saves around but you're only really cheating yourself out of the fun.

In other news, on my third run (using the default ship) I just got mutual destruction with the rebel flagship! My guys were huddled in the medical bay of the otherwise burning ship while the weapons continued to fire and then everyone just blew up. I can confirm this result does not elicit any kind of recognition of success from the game...

Playing: Path of Exile, Trials Evolution, Magic 2014.

36. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 18:51 Dev

Optional Nickname! wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 18:03:
Mostly due to the over weening enthusiasms by the newserati, I too picked up FTL and enjoy it very much.

However the absurd save system (there isn't one) is a big minus.

Save game (i.e. Quit), Copy save game file to another name, re-load & die, Copy copied file to save game file that gets deleted upon death, re-load, continue on.
The point of roguelike games is there's no save. In other words, that system is by design. Because this game is all about how you lose And once in a great while perhaps win (making it all the sweeter)

35. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 18:12 FloorPie

Bah curse you folks for talking up this game and the totalbiscuit video link. That video got me to buy it. I went thru the dev's site, downloaded the win and linux files, redeemed steam code works too. Addicting game.  

34. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 18:03 Optional Nickname!

Mostly due to the over weening enthusiasms by the newserati, I too picked up FTL and enjoy it very much.

However the absurd save system (there isn't one) is a big minus.

Save game (i.e. Quit), Copy save game file to another name, re-load & die, Copy copied file to save game file that gets deleted upon death, re-load, continue on.

33. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 16:14 Dagnamit

Bucky wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 15:14:
Beamer wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 14:25:
Holy crap this game is awesome.
And addicting.

Everyone needs to go buy this game, now!

It's brilliant.

I've spent all morning playing it. and just 4 days before BL2/ 6 before TL2, and MoP. Oh and just now, after 10 months am really getting into Skyrim, and I became a father last week. I love my wife.

32. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 15:14 Bucky

Beamer wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 14:25:
And addicting.

Everyone needs to go buy this game, now!

It's brilliant.

31. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 14:25 Beamer

And addicting.

I haven't made it past Sector 6 or 7. At one point I had 7 crew members and a drone, only two have two explosions during rescure efforts take me to 5, an O2 fire take me to 4, a bording take me to a slug, a mantis and a drone, and fires that I didn't have time to contain explode me.

Played maybe 8 games now, all on Easy. Loving this.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 13:43 Mordecai Walfish

Dev wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 09:16:
MisterBenn wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 09:00:
Had a first run through last night, this is a great little game. After a decent run just like all roguelikes it's very stressful once it all starts going tits up and you are desperate to survive! In the right hands, the ability to actually lose produces moments of pure magic, it's amazing that more games don't have the option to take advantage of this...
BUT ZOMG! WE CANT LET PLAYERS HAVE CHANCE TO LOSE! We must have invisible walls and automatic saving and loading, and no death sequences!

I've always wondered whats the point of playing an adventure game that doesn't let you die (yeah there's some rare exceptions that make it interesting, but by and large, adventure games where you can lose or die are much more fun IMHO).

Regenerating Hull or GTFO!

29. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 11:51 Leper

Spaceships ahoy!  

28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 11:44 Tom

Been playing all morning and I gotta say ... this game is amazing. It's a miracle of gaming. I can't believe it. I was so sad when I stupidly blew up the enemy ship while my two veteran Mantis fighters were on it! Too trigger happy... *cries* But I may yet prevail.  

27. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 11:01 Eirikrautha

FTL FTW!

Seriously, though... I've played through like 10 times since yesterday already. First few I rushed through each sector, terrified of the rebel wave behind me. When I finally made it to the Last Stand... I got annihilated. Now I jump through as many locations as I can, skimming right in front of the wave, upgrading like mad. Now when I get to the end... I still get annihilated! Man, this game is hard!

Still, you've got to love the variety and the strategy. Just unlocked a cloaked ship... gotta go!

26. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 09:16 Dev

MisterBenn wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 09:00:
Had a first run through last night, this is a great little game. After a decent run just like all roguelikes it's very stressful once it all starts going tits up and you are desperate to survive! In the right hands, the ability to actually lose produces moments of pure magic, it's amazing that more games don't have the option to take advantage of this...
BUT ZOMG! WE CANT LET PLAYERS HAVE CHANCE TO LOSE! We must have invisible walls and automatic saving and loading, and no death sequences!

I've always wondered whats the point of playing an adventure game that doesn't let you die (yeah there's some rare exceptions that make it interesting, but by and large, adventure games where you can lose or die are much more fun IMHO).

25. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 09:00 MisterBenn

Playing: Path of Exile, Trials Evolution, Magic 2014.

24. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 08:41 El Pit

Jerykk wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 04:50:
Heuristic scans are inherently unreliable. If a game is on Steam, I seriously doubt it has any viruses. I'm pretty sure Valve at least runs a virus scan before uploading anything to their servers.

You're right about heuristic scans, but Steam testing the exes before uploading... You know their work ethics. If they don't "feel" it, they don't do it.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

23. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 08:08 briktal

Tom wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 00:51:
Just did my first real game, made it to sector 8 on easy without TOO much trouble, then a rebel ship wiped the floor with me.

This game is every bit as good as I hoped it would be after reading the positive comments about it here. Wow! I am thirsty for more.

I've yet to match the score/progress I made on my first game (normal).

22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 05:01 Dev

Upload the exe to one of those sites that scans with like 20 virus scanners. If its only set off by 1 or 2 of them its probably false positive. If its set off by the majority of them, there's a problem.  

21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 04:50 Jerykk

.net_Drifter wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 04:08:
Lol, last version of the beta gave me a crypt.win32 virus warning in NOD32, I send it to eset and they verify a false positive.

20. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 04:08 .Drifter

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo