Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light

FTL: Faster Than Light is now available from Steam, where this space combat strategy game is being offered for 10% off over the next week. Word is:

In FTL you experience the atmosphere of running a spaceship trying to save the galaxy. It's a dangerous mission, with every encounter presenting a unique challenge with multiple solutions.

This "spaceship simulation roguelike-like" allows you to take your ship and crew on an adventure through a randomly generated galaxy filled with glory and bitter defeat.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 01:26 Xil

funded it, love it but the dame title keeps reminding me of the creators of dungeon master... http://dmweb.free.fr/files/DM-Screenshot-X68000-FtlLogo.png  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 00:58 Mordecai Walfish

Having a blast with this! Funny that I probably never would have heard of FTL if I didnt visit Blues as often as I do..

Thanks for the heads up on this one everyone =)

Tumbler wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 00:54:
Haven't had time to play this in a few days. Glad to see everyone enjoying it. I bought the Wrath of Khan on blu ray the other day, I think I'll get that movie rolling then play this on the laptop...see how that feels.

LOL Nerdgasm

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 00:54 Tumbler

Haven't had time to play this in a few days. Glad to see everyone enjoying it. I bought the Wrath of Khan on blu ray the other day, I think I'll get that movie rolling then play this on the laptop...see how that feels.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 00:51 Tom

Just did my first real game, made it to sector 8 on easy without TOO much trouble, then a rebel ship wiped the floor with me.

This game is every bit as good as I hoped it would be after reading the positive comments about it here. Wow! I am thirsty for more.

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 00:48 NegaDeath

Well that was thoroughly enjoyable. And hard as balls. Here I am cruising along laying waste to all the enemies before me, on easy, and I run into a cruiser that tears me a new one and ends the game. For the love of god why didn't I run? I actually verbally shouted noooooooo when I died I was so into it.

Love the soundtrack. With all the shit going on I never even noticed the 90's era sprite graphics.

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 22:52 dj LiTh

Prez wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 21:56:
I bought the game at the website - as much as I love Steam the devs deserve the cash more than Valve does.

I dont see how all the money could goto the devs since they also provide a steam key. Although i did buy mine from the devs for the added options.

The way I understand it, a developer pays Valve a flat fee to have their game on Steam, but they don't pay one per copy sold on their own website or other retailers. There is a fee Valve takes from each version sold via Steam though. I got this from an indie developer I'm friends with but I have no way of vetting it so take it or leave it.

Thanks for the info. I falsely assumed that because they were possibly going to be using steam's bandwidth that they must be on a per key sale. Now that i think about it, going the Walmart approach with volume business makes more sense. I'd be very curious to see valve's monthly bandwidth usage and costs, although i'm sure that will never happen for obvious reasons. Either way FTL is good fun and worth 9$.

13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 22:40 nin

Faster Than Light?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 22:28 RaZ0r!

LC wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 22:14:
Developers site also has Linux and Macintosh versions.

On Steam you get both the Macintosh and Windows version when you buy it. Probably won't see the Linux version on Steam until the Steam client is released for Linux. (Which is soon, umm in Valve Time)

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 22:14 LC

Developers site also has Linux and Macintosh versions.  

10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 21:57 DrEvil

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 21:20:
ASeven wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 20:55:
Julio wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 20:54:
FTL is also on GOG. I'd rather support GOG (drm free) than Steamware.

Then you should buy directly from the devs which gives the DRM-free file plus a Steam key and all the money goes to the devs.

I dont see how all the money could goto the devs since they also provide a steam key. Although i did buy mine from the devs for the added options.

My understanding is that Valve allows devs to generate and hand out free steam keys for their games without charging them for it. But since Steam's terms are confidential, I have no way to verify that.

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 21:56 Prez

I bought the game at the website - as much as I love Steam the devs deserve the cash more than Valve does.

The way I understand it, a developer pays Valve a flat fee to have their game on Steam, but they don't pay one per copy sold on their own website or other retailers. There is a fee Valve takes from each version sold via Steam though. I got this from an indie developer I'm friends with but I have no way of vetting it so take it or leave it.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2012, 22:22.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 21:40 RaZ0r!

OMG the graphics and no multiplayer?!?!?

Kidding, this game is awesome.

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 21:28 Dev

Lots of good links and info in this blues thread:
link
Such as a totalbiscuit wtf is FTL play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SnIhpCm5w

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 21:20:

Then you should buy directly from the devs which gives the DRM-free file plus a Steam key and all the money goes to the devs.

I've seen suggestions before that valve doesn't charge much if any for giving steam keys out on a game thats avail for sale on steam, if the sale isn't through steam.

6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 21:22 The Half Elf

Then just buy it directly from FTL's website and get the DRM free version AND a Steam Key!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 21:20 dj LiTh

4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 20:55 ASeven

3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 20:54 ASeven

God damn I still can't stop playing this. Holy hell is this game addictive.

It's also Steam's #10 most played game right now and #1 on the Top Seller's list. Quite a feat for such a small game.

2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 20:54 Julio

1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 20:43 Axis

Been playing this for a couple hours -- pretty fun. I'm a sucker for indie rpgs and rogues.  

Yours truly,

Axis

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo