Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Planetary Annihilation Funded

This Kickstarter Page for Planetary Annihilation announces this "next-generation" RTS from Uber Entertainment has achieved its funding goals. This should make old-school RTS fans happy, as here is why they've been collecting loot: "We all know that the RTS genre has taken a hit. There just arenít that many quality original RTS games coming out. If you love to play games like Total Annihilation your options are pretty limited. This is where Planetary Annihilation comes in. It is meant to be a truly innovative spin on what RTS games can and should be."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 23:31 space captain

rage of mages was cool

but no, i dont really care about RTS games at all

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 14:27 Beamer

As I said in the other thread, I think this game is incredibly beautiful.

I hate RTS games, but I may buy this at launch. I just don't trust their single player AI.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 13:15 eRe4s3r

actually I think 20 million would But that is still way out of reach for Kickstarting  

18. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 11:55 Luke

Jerykk wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 08:15:
Luke wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 05:55:
Why do games today have that TF2 look allover it way to cartoonish Alien

When using Kickstarter to fund a game, it's usually not a good idea to promise photorealistic graphics. Photorealistic graphics are expensive and it's better to invest funding into substance rather than style.

Sure tho looking at games released today the TF2 feeeling just comes to my mind not all games but many

17. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 11:12 mag

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 10:46:
Considering the incredible polish and balance of MNC and especially Super MNC, I trust these guys to make an impressive game.
Super MNC may be free to play, but it's definitely not pay to win. It's DOTA with FPS mechanics, and understanding how each player can support the one next to it is more important than owning a character the other players can't access that week. I bought a character simply to support them for making a game that didn't disappoint, and filled all that time I had planned to be in Diablo 3.

Also, the character models are ridiculously high quality. The maps look good but are limited by the aging UE3.

Point is, I have no doubt these guys can make a worthwhile game.

I was pretty disappointed with MNC. But still put in $40 for this one.

16. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 10:46 HoSpanky

Considering the incredible polish and balance of MNC and especially Super MNC, I trust these guys to make an impressive game.
Super MNC may be free to play, but it's definitely not pay to win. It's DOTA with FPS mechanics, and understanding how each player can support the one next to it is more important than owning a character the other players can't access that week. I bought a character simply to support them for making a game that didn't disappoint, and filled all that time I had planned to be in Diablo 3.

Also, the character models are ridiculously high quality. The maps look good but are limited by the aging UE3.

Point is, I have no doubt these guys can make a worthwhile game.

15. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 09:57 Iurand

Ventura wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 05:07:
I have to ask though, does Kickstarter really work? In this day and age I can understand why it exists, but are there any really good gaming examples where a game was created, fully funded, and then the project was delivered and it met expectations?

Two bleunews above.

14. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 08:55 MisterBenn

I kicked in $40 for beta access and full game because of just how much I loved Total Annihilation originally. I'm generally skeptical at throwing in cash in the hope a product eventually gets made but for this game it's an acceptable risk.

I'm not too fussed about a campaign, there's a limited budget and skirmish and multiplayer will be enough for me - they should spend the rest on features / AI / balance / polish etc. Really looking forward to seeing how this shapes up.

Playing: Path of Exile.

13. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 08:15 Jerykk

Luke wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 05:55:

When using Kickstarter to fund a game, it's usually not a good idea to promise photorealistic graphics. Photorealistic graphics are expensive and it's better to invest funding into substance rather than style.

12. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 08:06 mellis

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 02:40:
Yeah but putting a 5 million $ stretch goal up or not would not have changed anything. Making SP campaigns is extremely expensive. You have to not just code an entire scripting engine but do voice overs, cut scenes and a proper plot, worse maybe, have to craft all those maps and much worse, do special units and visually different factions. [...]

[...] I am pretty glad that this game will only have Galactic Conquest Skirmish. I love good stories but please, this game simply does not work with one. It's about awesome skirmish battles... not awesome stories

It's not true that a story would not work in this context anymore than a story wouldn't work in just about any game. Even MMORPGS have some semblance of a story. I think you hit the nail on the head with the cost - they (Uber) are managing expectation. Stories are expensive and involved, and I'd fully agree that even 2.1 million is not going to buy you a 20 hr campaign *and* a fully fleshed out, graphically rich game.

11. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 05:55 Luke

10. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 05:07 Ventura

Wowzers, I haven't really gotten into the whole kickstarter thing, but I'd drop good money to play this game. Chris Taylor eat your heart out

I have to ask though, does Kickstarter really work? In this day and age I can understand why it exists, but are there any really good gaming examples where a game was created, fully funded, and then the project was delivered and it met expectations?

I'm just curious is all, but (certainly as a PC gamer at heart) it's starting to look like a site that really deserves a lot more of my attention.

9. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 02:40 eRe4s3r

Yeah but putting a 5 million $ stretch goal up or not would not have changed anything. Making SP campaigns is extremely expensive. You have to not just code an entire scripting engine but do voice overs, cut scenes and a proper plot, worse maybe, have to craft all those maps and much worse, do special units and visually different factions.

And it would not work in this setting at all. The basic premise is basically that the robots duke it out over entire galaxies with their "human masters" long since dead, there is only 1 visual faction because those designs are the "best" the optimum, there is nothing better. If there were, every single robot would be using it. There are no cybrans, reapers or whatever around, it's just competing robot commanders following their script.. "DOMINATE all" how would you make a campaign out of THAT?

I am pretty glad that this game will only have Galactic Conquest Skirmish. I love good stories but please, this game simply does not work with one. It's about awesome skirmish battles... not awesome stories And I can totally understand that for developers making SP RTS campaigns is not a priority. There was only -2- good ones ever, and that was the campaign in Act of War -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL3PrX2QMkk&feature=related

And World in Conflict of course

And I can assure you both cost a LOT more than 2 million $ to make

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2012, 02:46.

8. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 15, 2012, 01:48 rist3903

I would have much rather have seen single player campaign as a goal over say, full orchestral score.

It will sound pretty sweet though, I guess.

7. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 14, 2012, 23:16 Wallshadows

It's been a while since I've played a decent RTS so this is something to keep an eye on. I also prefer sandbox / skirmish modes because you're not kept in check by artificial barriers such as unit production which are tied in to the level you're on or restart from scratch.

It made me enjoy titles such as Age of Empires II for a very long time because each game was something new to try and played out until someone was thoroughly wiped off the map.

6. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 14, 2012, 22:54 dj LiTh

DrEvil wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 21:52:
I pledged originally, but then cancelled. There's no single-player campaign planned -- just AI skirmish.

If they ship with one eventually, then I'll buy it.

They do have the Galactic War sandbox though? To me that beats any story driven campaign just for the sure replay value on a RTS. I mean i can only think of one RTS that i've ever actually been interested in the story (starcraft), and that still wasnt its major buying point for me.

5. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 14, 2012, 22:28 DangerDog

Yeah, they only teased at it on the kickstarter page as "If we meet our goal, stay tuned" or something.

They'll probably put some sort of campaign in there.

4. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 14, 2012, 22:04 Stanly Manly

DrEvil wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 21:52:
I pledged originally, but then cancelled. There's no single-player campaign planned -- just AI skirmish.

Dohhh! Didn't see that. No campaign means no buy for me =(

3. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 14, 2012, 21:52 DrEvil

2. Re: Planetary Annihilation Funded Sep 14, 2012, 20:45 DangerDog

I'm not into forking over money for kickstarters but it looks like there will be some decent games produced from them, hopefully.

I'm not too sure about the spherical maps, but maybe it'll work out.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo