Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Baldur's Gate Delayed

The Baldur's Gate Website announces a delay to Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, saying the RPG remake is now expected in November (thanks nin). Here's word from Trent Oster:

When we first announced Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, you set fire to our servers and we were overwhelmed by the huge wave of support from the fans of the original game.

Once the fires had subsided, thousands of you posted suggestions and requests on our forums. Dozens of volunteers from all over the world helped us improve game play, squash bugs, and generally fine-tune the game. Even more came to help work on translations from English to more than 16 other languages.

Executing on our plan to make the best Baldur’s Gate possible and responding to that overwhelming feedback, we’ve added new characters, areas, and story, creating many new hours of game play. Yet the suggestions, fixes, and translations continue, and more volunteers keep joining.

After recently reviewing the game and then consulting with our partners, we've decided to ensure that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is the best possible product on launch. Thus, we have pushed back the release date of the game. Our plan is to release in November, 2012.

To all who have pre-ordered, we ask for your patience as we move toward our final release date -- and we will be working on something a little extra for you. To all who have volunteered, we thank you for your dedication and support.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 15, 2012, 22:03 HorrorScope

FWIW the dev is on the record stating this.

They will release the game. But they will continue to work on it and improve it. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm thinking of looking at it next summer to get a "more done" game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 15, 2012, 13:08 nin

SimplyMonk wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 10:39:
nin wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 03:11:
I'll add to my blasphemy by saying I didn't get involved with the BG franchise until the second one ("what is this THAC0 shit?!"), and never went back to play the first one. :)

I'll join you in this and say that I played one BG game for all about 30 minutes. For the life of me, I can't remember which one, but I think it was the one that introduced Minsc.

I will say, however, that I've most likely played about 200 hours of Planescape: Torment over the years.

Knowing absolutely nothing about the 2.5 ruleset, I forced myself to learn it. BG2 hooked me that hard, from the very start (I didn't always understand WHY I was getting my ass handed to me, but I was having fun!).

Minsc was my favorite character also (by a mile). If you watch The Clone Wars cartoon at all, Jim Cummings (Minsc's voice actor) has a small recurring role (a few episodes here and there), and I always start chuckling as soon as I hear Minsc's voice (as a different character).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 15, 2012, 12:17 Axis

I'll buy it no matter. I'd prefer to see a new BG, but I'll take a rehash of a game I feel is the pinnacle of D&D single player games.  

Yours truly,

Axis

9. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 15, 2012, 10:39 SimplyMonk

I'll add to my blasphemy by saying I didn't get involved with the BG franchise until the second one ("what is this THAC0 shit?!"), and never went back to play the first one. :)

I'll join you in this and say that I played one BG game for all about 30 minutes. For the life of me, I can't remember which one, but I think it was the one that introduced Minsc.

I will say, however, that I've most likely played about 200 hours of Planescape: Torment over the years.

8. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 15, 2012, 10:10 Parallax Abstraction

I'll add to my blasphemy by saying I didn't get involved with the BG franchise until the second one ("what is this THAC0 shit?!"), and never went back to play the first one.

Please deposit your gamer credentials in the box to your right before heading outside to the re-education van.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

7. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 15, 2012, 04:05 nin

Prez wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 03:58:
I'll add to my blasphemy by saying I didn't get involved with the BG franchise until the second one ("what is this THAC0 shit?!"), and never went back to play the first one.

Egads!! You DO have a whore mouth!!

Anyway, if the game gets released on Steam I would pick it up on a sale I'm sure; Beamdog's MDK2 re-issue eventually made it there.

Yeah, I'm just afraid that's going to take a year or more. But I really don't want another download account, either...

SunDawg should work out a deal where only they sell it, but they also provide a steam code (IE it's on steam, but not available for purchase from them...yet).

6. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 15, 2012, 03:58 Prez

Egads!! You DO have a whore mouth!!

Anyway, if the game gets released on Steam I would pick it up on a sale I'm sure; Beamdog's MDK2 re-issue eventually made it there.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 15, 2012, 03:11 nin

Graham wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 03:05:
nin wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 22:50:
Prez wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 22:16:
I hate to be a downer but I think this re-issue with what seems like only minor tweaks is hardly worth the attention it has been getting. Maybe it will floor me when it's released, but I kinda doubt it. I already have the GOG version.

I think it's a good plan, but launching it in the middle of the fall holiday rush is going to hurt them.

Push it to spring...

You shut your whore mouth!

Er...I mean, please, don't give them any ideas.

4. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 15, 2012, 03:05 Graham

nin wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 22:50:
I hate to be a downer but I think this re-issue with what seems like only minor tweaks is hardly worth the attention it has been getting. Maybe it will floor me when it's released, but I kinda doubt it. I already have the GOG version.

I think it's a good plan, but launching it in the middle of the fall holiday rush is going to hurt them.

Push it to spring...

You shut your whore mouth!

Er...I mean, please, don't give them any ideas.

3. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 14, 2012, 22:50 nin

Push it to spring...

2. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 14, 2012, 22:16 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 14, 2012, 21:57 Cram

A mixed blessing for me, Torchlight 2 has priority over this at the moment.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo