Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Obsidian Kickstarter

The teasing on the Obsidian Entertainment Website has culminated in the announcement of a Kickstarter for Project Eternity (working title), "an isometric, party-based RPG set in a new fantasy world," which they say "pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment." Here's word on the project, which is will on the way to its $1.1 million goal:

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

We are excited at this chance to create something new, yet reminiscent of those great games and we want you to be a part of it as well.

View
122 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

122. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 19, 2012, 16:21 Cram

Looks like early backers will have the option to get a GOG code now at launch. DRM-Free mode engaged.

Some other good news in today's update as well. This has been, if anything, fun to watch. I think I'll save up some tip money and upgrade my tier before the end of the KS.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

121. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 17, 2012, 21:22 eRe4s3r

If the curves look like they always do the game will reach 4 to 6 million. But as I haven't seen a game ever go that high.. I could be wrong. It's likely many backers from the TA kickstart saw this one come up and kickstarted it as well. That could mean we may only end up between 3 and 4m...

But boy, the stuff they wrote so far makes it sound like exactly the kind of game I wanted. More of the old good Infinity Engine rpg's in style can never hurt. Particularly not in a new game-world (I am sick to death of DnD).

Now if only Paypal was up.

120. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 17, 2012, 15:07 nin

I really figured it would slow down, but I'm still seeing money flow in every few seconds...

Kicktraq is showing over 2300 have pledged just today...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

119. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 17, 2012, 15:01 Mr. Tact

They've put in goals to the $2.2m level and indicate they might add more if necessary. It will be interesting to see what they end up with.. currently just under $1.5 m.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

118. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 17, 2012, 11:25 Nucas

Kajetan wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 11:03:
nin wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 22:14:
While it is slowing now, I'd be very surprised if they didn't hit all those (up to/including 2.2) by the end.
Expect a huge bump when they add Paypal as an additonal payment option. A lot of people all over the world arent using credit cards. Me included, so expect my $35 any time soon
paypal just can't be trusted, but i guess obsidian can wield the public pressure often needed to make them pay up the large sums of money they collect. compelling business model! (we think you're laundering money, so we're going to freeze all your assets for a year)

117. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 17, 2012, 09:14 nin

Hadn't looked at it in about a day. Nice to see it's still ticking along.

116. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 17, 2012, 08:45 John

Well they reached their first stretch goal! Keep it going!  
This space is available for rent

115. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 16, 2012, 11:03 Kajetan

nin wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 22:14:
While it is slowing now, I'd be very surprised if they didn't hit all those (up to/including 2.2) by the end.
Expect a huge bump when they add Paypal as an additonal payment option. A lot of people all over the world arent using credit cards. Me included, so expect my $35 any time soon

114. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 16, 2012, 04:20 Julio

They are also promising to check out DRM free options now, ok I'm in.  

113. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 22:14 nin

Edit: Just noticed they added stretch goals and they sound pretty good!

Yeah, they go to 2.2 million. While it is slowing now, I'd be very surprised if they didn't hit all those (up to/including 2.2) by the end.

Thrilled it's doing so well for them.

C'mon Borderlands 2!!!

Yeah, I'm think I'm going to lock that season pass in at $22.50...

112. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 21:52 John

nin wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 21:09:
Also, 62 folks shelled out $1000 each (!), and on the high end, 10 folks brought in a total of $50,000!

Pretty damn amazing!
It sure is! Some folks got a lot of money to put towards this game. I wonder how many of them are just enthusiastic gamers with money and how many are other devs helping out.

Edit: Just noticed they added stretch goals and they sound pretty good! They're even adding more $5k tiers since they sold out which is wild. The "digital only" tiers will probably be popular too. I think the $2mil goal would be cool.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2012, 21:58.

111. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 21:49 Prez

Dev wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 16:15:
nin wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 13:28:
whoa, wildly wrong thread...
Yes, but now I want to know, preload of what?

C'mon Borderlands 2!!!

As far as the late Update on Obsidian's Kickstarter, I'm guessing they didn't expect to reach their goal nearly so quickly and were caught with their pants down. (Maybe literally, since it is the weekend)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

110. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 21:39 Draugr

Creston wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 20:07:
Draugr wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 18:29:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 18:15:
They really need to post some stretch goals if they want the momentum to keep going.

I imagine they will, their just being stupid and taking their time with it, apparently.

They're. They are being stupid.

Creston

Heheh good Catch. What can I say I got an early start on my night

109. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 21:09 nin

Interesting numbers...while most went for the $20 tier, over 1100 folks plopped down $65, and over 1700 folks chose the $100 or $140 tiers.

Also, 62 folks shelled out $1000 each (!), and on the high end, 10 folks brought in a total of $50,000!

Pretty damn amazing!

108. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 20:50 John

Update posted and they said they're going to release stretch goals today too so we'll see!  

107. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 20:07 Creston

Draugr wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 18:29:
They really need to post some stretch goals if they want the momentum to keep going.

I imagine they will, their just being stupid and taking their time with it, apparently.

They're. They are being stupid.

Creston

106. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 19:47 nin

John wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 17:32:
Dev wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 16:15:
lYes, but now I want to know, preload of what?
Yeah, I was wondering that too!

Well they got their funding now and it's still going! I estimate it'll go over 3mil easy. I'm waiting now to see what kind of stretch goals they will have and other info about the game. I'm backing at $20 now but will gladly increase it if they give more details.

BL2. And yeah, I'm a little surprised we've not gotten an update by now.

105. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 19:39 John

Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't at least posted an update to thank all the backers now that it has passed their funding limit.  

104. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 18:29 Draugr

I imagine they will, they're just being stupid and taking their time with it, apparently.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2012, 21:37.

103. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 15, 2012, 18:15 Jerykk

122 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo