Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Mesa Released

They're waiting for you Gordon, at the Black Mesa Website, where they now offer the long-awaited first release of the Black Mesa modification to bring the gameplay from Half-Life to the Source engine (thanks ochentay4). Here's word from the wiki:

Black Mesa (formerly Black Mesa: Source) is a Half-Life 2 total conversion remaking of Valve Software's award-winning PC game, Half-Life.

Utilizing the Source engine, Black Mesa will reintroduce the player as Doctor Gordon Freeman, along with the original cast of memorable characters and environments seen in Half-Life. Black Mesa was built and founded on the basis that Half-Life: Source didn't fully live up to the potential of a Source engine port of Half-Life. As such, Black Mesa was founded to fully reconstruct the Half-Life universe utilizing Source to its fullest potential in terms of art detail, level sizes and code features. It should be noted that the project is being built from the ground up and is not a simple port of Half Life maps and models into the Source Engine. The idea is to remake the storyline used in Half Life into a new polished Source Engine version with new models, maps, soundtrack, voice acting and textures.

This total conversion will not require Half-Life: Source to play - only a copy of any Source Engine game installed on Steam. For more details, check the System Requirements.

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

53. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 17:32 Prez

I'm getting 1.8Mb/s through utorrent. I should have it in no time!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 17:22 Cutter

I'll DL this later. Looking forward to seeing it.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

51. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 17:19 Creston

Ratty wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 14:52:
By basic science foundations do you mean like "if all electricity stopped working why don't they die on account of our nerves and brains use electricity?" which I don't care about - sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable and all that. Or something more egregious?

Some of the things that bugged me in the trailer:

- That everyone apparently stops using guns and turns back to using bows/arrows/swords. What? Did the Wild West need electricity to make guns and ammo? No, they did not. So why the fuck would people STOP using guns?

- That Wrigley field gets overgrown with shit in 15 years. It's a fun look, but it wouldn't go that fast, and why would people stop using Wrigley Field? If anything, that'd become a major community center for barter etc, if they wouldn't just keep playing baseball for the heck of it.

But I'll still watch the first few episodes. JJ Abrams knows how to tell a good story, so we'll see what happens.

Creston

50. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 16:43 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 15:09:
Oh no, nothing that spergy, see spoiler below:

Someone having the power to turn on/off all electricity in the world with a USB thumb drive that is disguised as a necklace

So... it has the same writer as Eagle Eye?

49. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 16:34 Prez

Well color me surprised; I stopped believing this would ever get released some time ago. Unlike others, I am disappointed at the lack of the Xen missions. But hey - at least we got something. Anyone try it out yet? Any comments on it?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

48. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 16:27 eunichron

siapnar wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 16:15:
Nostalgia overload in t-minus an hour and a bit

eunichron wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 15:36:
Yeah, I bought a new router last week and my dumb ass forgot to set up port forwarding. Soon as I remembered that the torrent speed increased dramatically.

After extensive testing, I found that port forwarding doesn't do much for my speeds in utorrent.

It depends on your setup, but usually it can prevent peers from being able to connect to you. If the seeds are good and you can connect to them it doesn't matter as much though.

With all these loading screens, they really did do a good job of recreating the original HL experience.

47. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 16:15 siapnar

Nostalgia overload in t-minus an hour and a bit

eunichron wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 15:36:
Yeah, I bought a new router last week and my dumb ass forgot to set up port forwarding. Soon as I remembered that the torrent speed increased dramatically.

After extensive testing, I found that port forwarding doesn't do much for my speeds in utorrent.

I have projectile dysfunction.

46. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 16:13 mch

Ahhh, tons of listings of mirrors on Blues for a big release. Really brings me back.  
PSN: CaseDesignate

45. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 16:02 Lorcin

eunichron wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 13:30:
Lorcin wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 12:50:
Torrent file - seems valid, setup has correct logos etc but use at your own risk:

http://www.mediafire.com/?khmzyygg4vetko0

That torrent is linked directly from the Black Mesa site, it's legit. Currently really slow though, need more peers!

Yeah for reason my chrome didn't like the new black mesa release page - so that torrent came from the comments section of a news page. Hence the prior warning.

Game seems good so far - except just hit the lower canals and they left the bloody crate jumping puzzle in. Always hated that.

EDIT: Greatest moment for me so far - CHUCKLE BROTHERS MUGS! To me!

44. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:46 Nighthawk

I started my download on shacknews and went mall to get a starbucks and the new billy talent album, came back to 30min left, then when 30min was up it said I needed more HDD space... #fail #redownloading  

43. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:41 Assassin

There is a mirror on Gamershell
http://www.gamershell.com/download_93608.shtml

42. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:36 eunichron

gsilver wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 15:27:
That torrent is linked directly from the Black Mesa site, it's legit. Currently really slow though, need more peers!
Seeding at ~475kB/s...

41. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:27 gsilver

Seeding at ~475kB/s...

40. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:25 Dades

People gotta talk about something while they're downloading. I'm not buying Borderlands 2 and I won't ever watch that show, it looks dumb.

I'd rather talk about Mad Max and his predictions but it looks like we played that out.

39. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:20 Beelzebud

I thought I posted in the wrong thread. What does a tv show have to do with this mod?  

38. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:10 Beamer

Not much could be as bad as Terra Nova.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:09 Verno

Ratty wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 14:52:
That's a shame. I read a review this morning where they compared it favorably to Terra Nova and Falling Skies (as in, those two shows are worse) but without the hokey, fake family drama. You know, the rebellious son who comes to accept and love his father. I hate that contrived shit.

There was a bit of that in the pilot but it wasn't as bad as Terra Nova or something. There are parts of it that show promise but they are pulling a lot of punches since its network TV. Also just offhand it features one of the worst sword fights I have ever seen, B-movie level choreography.

By basic science foundations do you mean like "if all electricity stopped working why don't they die on account of our nerves and brains use electricity?" which I don't care about - sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable and all that. Or something more egregious?

Oh no, nothing that spergy, see spoiler below:

Someone having the power to turn on/off all electricity in the world with a USB thumb drive that is disguised as a necklace

Anyways my download for Black Mesa just finished, time to dive in! Let me know what you think when the pilot airs.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2012, 15:18.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

36. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:06 Beelzebud

I played up to where you get out of the testing area, and I am very impressed. So far it's like Half Life, but with everything looking great.  

35. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:00 Wesp5

Here is a good link for people in Europe: http://www.chip.de/downloads/Black-Mesa_57528457.html  

34. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 14:52 Ratty

Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 14:36:
ledhead1969 wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 14:20:
Has Revolution started? Is it terrible?

Haha oh dear, well you asked! They aired the pilot on the web a few days ago and it is fucking terrible.
That's a shame. I read a review this morning where they compared it favorably to Terra Nova and Falling Skies (as in, those two shows are worse) but without the hokey, fake family drama. You know, the rebellious son who comes to accept and love his father. I hate that contrived shit.

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo